View Full Version : Remapping 5455 Volume Buttons

mtillett
12-31-2002, 05:51 AM
One of the biggest desires of the iPAQ 5455 commnuity so far is the ability to change the volume toggle on this model to an up/down scrolling feature like the jog wheels on some other Pocket PCs (for webpages, ebooks, etc). There have been various requests for this but as of yet no one has been able to offer any help. One user identified the hex codes the buttons send as 0x200 and 0x201 ( http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68198&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 ) If anyone could offer some insight into how this could be accomplished there are lots of us out there that sure would be grateful!! Any advice, leads etc would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Pony99CA
12-31-2002, 12:23 PM
One of the biggest desires of the iPAQ 5455 commnuity so far is the ability to change the volume toggle on this model to an up/down scrolling feature like the jog wheels on some other Pocket PCs (for webpages, ebooks, etc). There have been various requests for this but as of yet no one has been able to offer any help. One user identified the hex codes the buttons send as 0x200 and 0x201 ( http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68198&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 ) If anyone could offer some insight into how this could be accomplished there are lots of us out there that sure would be grateful!! Any advice, leads etc would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
If you can create a system hook on the Windows message queue, you could probably convert the Volume Up message into the D-Pad Up message and the Volume Down message into the D-Pad Down message.

You might be able to further refine it to check whether the active window has a vertical scroll bar, and, if not, translate Volume Up to D-Pad Right and Volume Down to D-Pad Left (for horizontal scrolling).

Steve

mtillett
12-31-2002, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the response! That sounds like EXACTLY what users like myself want to accomplish. Unfortunately I don't have the first clue how to implement it. my last programming experience was in a High School C++ class (aside from HTML). Can you give me any more information on how/where to start something like this? So far this is the farthest anyone has gotten that I know of... Thanks again, I appreciate your time.

JonnoB
01-01-2003, 02:16 AM
You would probably want it to do both. A press and hold would do one thing and a press would do the other...

mtillett
02-13-2003, 12:07 AM
Well I kind of let this lay for a while in the hopes that this issue could be worked around by ButtonMapper or another application but there seems to be no success on that path. So far no apps but Pocket TV can successfully remap the volume buttons on a 5450 series. Pocket TV was helpful enough to share the code that they use for mapping buttons here: http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71218. I thought I'd revive this thread in the hopes that a developer here would be willing to help with this by compiling this into a working application/registry tweak/etc. or pointing me in the direction to start serious work on it myself. As I said before my experience is VERY limited but I am beginning to realize that the only way to get this done might be to do it myself...

JonnoB
02-13-2003, 01:11 AM
Get me a 54xx iPaq and I would be happy to write something.

Dave Beauvais
04-10-2003, 11:42 PM
I just noticed that v2.0 of GoLandscape (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=7139) can remap the volume buttons! I haven't used it yet myself, but the reviews at the bottom of the page seem to indicate that it works. Besides, the software is only US$2.00. Now if HP would only include this feature in an update, I think many h5400 series owners would be rejoicing!

--Dave

mtillett
04-14-2003, 06:09 AM
Dave,

Talk about thread resurrection! Yes, GoLandscape does remap the volume buttons on the 5455. Due to a post like this one on Brighthand I was involved in the beta process for this application. It works well, and you can't beat the price tag.