View Full Version : Expanding an e740 - CF Memory card or Microdrive?

phydiux
12-30-2002, 10:02 PM
I've got a toshiba e740, and I'm looking to expand the storage a bit with either a 512 meg Toshiba CF card, or the IBM 1gig microdrive, which are both comparable in price at around $200 each.

the ibm microdrive is talked about for $199 here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6516)

and the specs for it are at
http://www-3.ibm.com/storage/hdd/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/F532791CA062C38F87256AC00060DD49/$file/dscm_ds.pdf

Toshiba's CF card info can be found http://www.toshiba.com/taec/cgi-bin/display.cgi?table=Category&CategoryID=7195 (http://www.toshiba.com/taec/cgi-bin/display.cgi?table=Category&CategoryID=7195)

My main dilemma right now is this: the microdrive is twice as large, but won't fit in my Canon Powershot S110 - which says it's CF type II compatible, but the physical dimensions for the slot on the camera ARE NOT CF type II specs.

So, if I buy a 1gig microdrive, I'm stuck with it ONLY in the e740,
but if I get the 512 meg Toshiba CF card I can use it in either device.

What would you do?

Twice the space, half the use,
or
Half the space, twice the use?

Do I need 1 gig on my e740?... I think so...

Jimmy Dodd
12-30-2002, 10:15 PM
At one point there was a warning about using the microdrive with the e740 - I think it had to do with using the wi-fi at the same time as the microdrive. If that is a valid concern for you (it would be for me) then you have one more reason to push you towards the 512 MB card.

phydiux
12-30-2002, 10:21 PM
I heard about the warning - it's included with the user guide on the e740 - and it is a concern, but it's also a warning for the 340 meg microdrive.

I believe it stems from power consumption on the 340 meg microdrive

the DMDM version of the microdrive (170Mb and 340Mb) draw 300mA during use, and the DSCM versions (some 340Mb, 512Mb, and 1Gb) draw like 250 mA - these value are both at 3.3 Volts.

I also saw somewhere on these forums yesterday a better explanation about them... to bad I can't remember which forum it was in...

FredMurphy
12-30-2002, 10:41 PM
The extra power consumption and fragility of the microdrive has got to tip the balance in favour of the Toshiba card too.

Are you likely to need the extra space? If it's for storing things like MP3s I find that I'm happy with 256MB worth which I change regularly.

Fred

phydiux
12-30-2002, 11:37 PM
Well, I'm thinking about the microdrive for a few reasons,

1- I can put just about any and all random applications on it
2- According to the specs, the microdrive reads and writes faster than the solid state CF memory card (figure that one out...) even though they're both around the speed of the CF bus.
3- I don't ever want to have to buy another one
4- I like DivX encoded movies.

I think the fragility is a moot point, but I could be wrong. The microdrive should be able to take the abuse of any laptop hard drive, and I've put some IBM drives through hell, and they've always held up reasonably well.

I do know, however, that you can freeze a CF card, step on it, drop it, lick it, and do whatever else you can imagine to it and it'll typically be fine.... don't try that at home, though.

At this point if I'm going for space, I'll probably end up getting the microdrive.

On the other hand - if I buy a toshiba CF card, I better not have any compatibility issues! Whereas the microdrive SHOULDN'T have any issues, but it might since I use the integrated 802.11b all the time, and as some models of the microdrive are known to have issues, there's a point for the Toshiba memory card.

This decision is a little more difficult then I thought :p

Jimmy Dodd
12-31-2002, 03:39 PM
...freeze a CF card, step on it, drop it, lick it, and do whatever else you can imagine to it...

Lick it?????
8O

mashtim
12-31-2002, 04:11 PM
Yeah, they say it's a similar feeling to when they used to lick toads in the old days. :wink:

phydiux
12-31-2002, 04:28 PM
Lick it????? 8O

hey, you do what you want with your CF cards, and I'll do what I want with mine :lol:

lucia316
01-06-2003, 10:06 PM
Just to clarify. The problems were only with the 340MB MD and not the 1Gig.

I would say go with the CF Card. Sure it is only half the space, but it will be plenty for Divx movies if that is your concern. If encoded right, you should be able to get about 2 movies on a 512 CF card. Good luck!

L316 8)

Delta737
01-07-2003, 10:05 PM

I would say go with the CF Card. Sure it is only half the space, but it will be plenty for Divx movies if that is your concern. If encoded right, you should be able to get about 2 movies on a 512 CF card. Good luck!

L316 8)

Well, actually, that problem doesn't exist anymore at all. I believe it was solved in the EUU3 upgrade!!

phydiux
01-08-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm leaning toward the toshiba CF memory card anyway - If I can fit a decent amount of DiVx on it, then I'm set. Also, using the CF card in my digital camera is a big plus - I typically run out of memory on my smaller-than-average-anymore 32 meg CF cards that I currently use in the mcamera (they were a decent size back in the day when I purchased them!)

lucia316
01-08-2003, 11:50 PM

L316 8)

Well, actually, that problem doesn't exist anymore at all. I believe it was solved in the EUU3 upgrade!!

Yes, you are correct. Notice though that I used the word "were".

"The problems were only with the 340MB MD and not the 1Gig."

It is a thing of beauty is it not? Toshiba fixed something...lol!

L316 8)