View Full Version : Expansion

Gallivant
12-29-2002, 11:04 PM
I'm planning to buy a 400mhz Axim to use as a portable MP3 player and movie-watcher. A 512 meg card is looking like a really good idea, but the cost difference between a CF and SD card at that level is a staggering $US100. Aside from the obvious - I'd be tying up my CF slot, leaving it unusable for a hypothetical future WiFi card - is there any reason to go with SD over CF?

spursdude
12-30-2002, 12:11 AM
In my opinion, go with CF. Sure, you may give up your WiFi capability, but I think that a little inconvenience of switching accessories is worth at least $100. Also, there should be a Wifi SD card coming out in the next few months...(maybe years?)

mashtim
12-30-2002, 12:14 AM
Not currently. In fact, CF cards are generally faster than SD cards right now, so your movies will play just a bit better.

If you occupy your CF slot with a large card now, you will still have the SD slot open for when prices fall (which they've been doing steadily over the last 6 months or so) and when SDIO products hit the market. It's only a matter of time until there is a SD WiFi card available.

The only reason to go with SD over CF that I can think of (and, admittedly, it is a very poor reason to make a decision like this) is that whatever case you buy for your PPC will undoubtedly have slots to hold SD cards and not CF. This would make it easier for you to have your SD card in your PPC and have 2 more in your case for movies or music.

Zuph
12-30-2002, 12:48 AM
In my opinion, go with CF. Sure, you may give up your WiFi capability, but I think that a little inconvenience of switching accessories is worth at least $100. Also, there should be a Wifi SD card coming out in the next few months...(maybe years?)

The Dell Axim CANNOT USE SDIO anything. It doesn't have an SDIO slot. You would have to swap out CF Memory and a CF Wifi card. A year down the road though, both will get a lot cheaper, and you could prolly sell your CF card, and buy an SD card and not lose that much money.

spursdude
12-30-2002, 12:52 AM
The Dell Axim CANNOT USE SDIO anything. It doesn't have an SDIO slot. You would have to swap out CF Memory and a CF Wifi card. A year down the road though, both will get a lot cheaper, and you could prolly sell you CF card, and buy an SD card and not lose that much money.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that point. Still, I think that swapping is probably the best option right now.

Roosterman
12-30-2002, 04:17 AM
A 512 meg card is looking like a really good idea, but the cost difference between a CF and SD card at that level is a staggering $US100. Aside from the obvious - I'd be tying up my CF slot, leaving it unusable for a hypothetical future WiFi card - is there any reason to go with SD over CF?

One other thing about the $100 diff, you could buy the WIFI card for that much so you would be able to swap something with the memory :) .