View Full Version : Axim's Display

mirkazemisaman
12-29-2002, 10:28 PM
What is the difference between regular reflective displays and transflective displays, which one is better and which one does the Axim have?
Is display a matter that I should be "really" concerned with when buying a PPC? I am talking about all the new pocket pcs with 16 bit color displays. For example is it better to buy an Axim for $350 (ignoring the rebate) and a good WIFI card for about $100 for a total of $450 or a Toshiba e740 for $450.
I am thinking that the answer will be the Toshiba since I will be having a free CF card slot, but then again I have heard that the Axim has a better display and 48Mb ROM... please let me what you think?

By the way I am a "nEwBiE" in the big world of PPCs.

spursdude
12-30-2002, 12:17 AM
Ok, I don't know the science of transflective vs. "regular" reflective screens. Transflective has some sort of cool technology so that it makes an extremely bright and rich screen, much better than a reflective. Granted, you will definitely be able to live with a reflective screen.

However, transflective screens are a lot easier on the eyes, and having a great screen is sometimes really helpful...I know this from the times when my Maestro's backlight set on Very Low has just not been good enough, but I've wanted to save battery.

I would go with the Dell, if I were you - save money, better screen, more ROM, and a better battery life, to name a few features. And believe me, you will appreciate the better battery life if you decide to use the WiFi option.

Sheynk
12-30-2002, 02:19 AM
reflective..well reflects light and is SIDE LIT which is worse than transflective which is BACK LIT and reflective

mirkazemisaman
12-30-2002, 06:16 AM
Thanx for the info...

Fzara
12-30-2002, 03:47 PM
If you check www.brighthand.com and look for the news archive, theres an excellent comparison between Reflective and Transflective. An article def. worth a shot reading.

Theres nothing better than transflective lighting on a handheld. The only premier solution we'll probably be seeing is OLED's, in the next 1-2 years, which save up more battery life, and are much more crisper, and brighter. After all, the screen is what takes up the most juice of the battery!