View Full Version : e335 Genius needed

wik
12-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Here is my story. I have Toshiba 335 and I was able to sync it with my desktop PC (running Win XP Pro) from time to time (I had to restart it often but it worked). I tried to fix that problem. I installed and reinstalled ActiveSync3.6, I removed USB driver from Device Manager and reinstalled it.
I tried to cheat by installing USB driver for Toshiba 740 but that didn't work. I got BIOS update and Win XP Service Pack1 just in case.
As a result of my attempts right now I cannot sync at all - I get an
ActiveSync message: the device is not detected even though it is listed on the Device Manager list (yes I am using usb drivers from ActiveSync). Is there anybody out there that knows what else can I do - or should I just swallow a granade?

Thanks

KyleC
12-30-2002, 03:31 AM
You need to use the same USB port for the cradle for my handheld for it to sync at all. I have an e310 (very similar to an e335) If this tip doesn't do it, I recommend extreme measures:

CAUTION - Below is a *harsh*, and only possible solution to your problem - CAUTION

I suggest backing up your data on your handheld to a SD card and hard resetting it (white switch on the botton). Uninstall ActiveSync & whatevery you may have installed pertaining to your handheld (such as this e740 upgrade) and install ActiveSync again. Once syncing is back up, restore your backup and sync; everything should be OK from then with only a few "scrapes".

alcdroid
12-30-2002, 02:48 PM
I had the same problem when I first got my e330 a week ago and I was using XP Pro and Activesync 3.6. Nothing I did made the PC recognize the mobile device and I was about to give up. Out of frustration, I lifted my PPC from the cradle and put it back down. Immediately, activesync started working and everything was synchronized. I have to do the same thing whenever activesync suddenly disconnects, but I like my PPC too much so I just put up with it.

Hope this helped.

KyleC
12-30-2002, 05:13 PM
I had the same problem when I first got my e330 a week ago and I was using XP Pro and Activesync 3.6. Nothing I did made the PC recognize the mobile device and I was about to give up. Out of frustration, I lifted my PPC from the cradle and put it back down. Immediately, activesync started working and everything was synchronized. I have to do the same thing whenever activesync suddenly disconnects, but I like my PPC too much so I just put up with it.

Hope this helped.

I do the same thing. However, he says that he can't sync at all. When this happens to me, I usually do what I described before. I sync so often that my data doesn't need backing up on a storage card. :)

It appears that this "wik" character would be frustrated; I would too if I had to find a web site & join to post my problem in a dicussion thread.

hyonj
01-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Don't use ActiveSync 3.6. Use ActiveSync 3.5 and it should work.

The problem is that for some reason, ActiveSync 3.6 won't allow the Toshiba USB drivers to be installed by XP. I can't quite recall whether I had the same problems under Windows 2000. In any case, you should uninstall ActiveSync 3.6, update your drivers for the Toshiba PDA.

If you set it in the cradle or plug it into your PC and turn the PDA on, it should detect the new hardware and ask you to install the drivers. Install them from whichever location, the disk, a download, and then, unplug your PDA. Afterwards, install ActiveSync 3.5 and when it tells you to turn on your PDA/plug it in, it should detect it. Just follow the instructions.

If you've already tried installing the Toshiba, it may not ask you to install the drivers and you'll have to look in device manager.

Right click my computer
properties
Hardware
Device Manager

Scroll down the list until you see an unknown USB device or your Toshiba with an exclamation next to it. You can select to update the driver (follow the same instructions from above).

If you absolutely want ActiveSync 3.6, you can try to uninstall the 3.5 and reinstall 3.6 after all this. I didn't think it was worth it to see if it'd work personally.

Hope it helps.