View Full Version : Buying a Dell Axim

mirkazemisaman
12-28-2002, 07:28 AM
I am about to buy an Axim as my first PPC... but I have a few questions to clarify some things first:

Do programs, mp3s, videos etc. in RAM run as fast as they do in ROM? Does it take more time to load from a CF card than it does to load from RAM? How about from a SD card? Is CF faster or is SD faster (memory only)? Can I have a WIFI adapter in the second floor and browse the net from my basement using a PPC and a WIFI card? Is the word prossessing convenient or will I have to reformatt the text after syncing with my desktop every time I type up something on the PPC (example: a school assignment)? Can the Axim recognize voice commands and if not is it possible with software?

One more thing I don't understand, a desktop PC with a 400mhz CPU and 64 Mb RAM is capable of pretty much doing everything (except for some games and 3D apps) smoothly, and a PPC with the same clock speed prossessor and RAM has trouble scrolling a webpage while on the net? Is this a video card issue?

I am trully sorry if I gave you a headache with all these questions... Maybe each of you viewers could answer only a couple of them.

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

ThAnK yOu AlL aNd HaPpY nEw YeAr

guinness
12-28-2002, 07:48 AM
Before my free ROM space disappeared, I felt that files stored in the ROM loaded more slowly than in RAM, as for SD/CF I don't know yet, I just ordered a SD card. Web browsing is pretty sad, even connected to the cradle which is connected to laptop hooked up to a very fast cable connection. The PIE for PPC is like a very poor IE 3.0 or something, but that could be affected by the amount of temp space allocated for PIE. Pocket Word is nothing more than a glorified Notepad and Pocket Excel is ok, but if you need word processing, you'd be better off with a laptop,IMO. Dell tech support is pretty good once I did get through; I'm getting a new Axim next week to replace the one I have, it isn't next day replacement though, 3-5 days and it took me 1.5 hours to get through.

blazingwolf
12-28-2002, 04:26 PM
It has been my experience that programs stored on a CF or SD card do load slower than if they are in RAM. However, it is usaually only a few seconds slower. As for ROM, I haven't put any programs in there yet.

If your WIFI signal reaches into the basement than you will should be able to browse the net. If it doesn,t reach then you will need to get a signal booster for it to reach into the basement.

Pocket Word is ok, but it is not the full Word that comes on your destop. If you have a keyboard or are pretty fast using the stylus input then it's ok as long as you understand that Pocket Word does not have all of the formatting that the desktop version has. In other words it will probably be necessary for you to do some formatting changes.

The Axim will not take voice commands when you get it out of the box. This will require a third party app but I'm not sure where to get one.

mirkazemisaman
12-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Thank you for your information, it was exactly what I was looking for...