View Full Version : Extended Battery For hp iPAQ h5400 Series

marlof
12-28-2002, 03:24 AM
<a href="http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/pocketpc/options/power/?lsidebarLayId=823">http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/pocketpc/options/power/?lsidebarLayId=823</a><br /><br />Master O'Mayhem, the King of Gadgets, found a link on the hp site that shows the 2500 mAh Extended Battery scheduled for January 2003. The people I know with a h5400 do not complain about battery life, but sometimes, more is better.

Janak Parekh
12-28-2002, 03:44 AM
The most important thing, though:

Note: Expansion Packs cannot be used when the Exended Battery is installed in your iPAQ Pocket PC.

I guess as long as you use expansion packs with their own supplemental battery, such as the CF+ and the PC+ packs, you should be OK.

--janak

dschur
12-28-2002, 04:20 AM
OK, here's one (a complaint). My battery life on my 5450 is significantly lower than my 3970. As soon as HP starts shipping the extended battery, I'm buying one.

It doesn't help that the built-in 802.11B draws power like crazy (compared to an excellent Symbol CF card, which had nearly no impact on power), but even without it, the 3970 was much better.

Mobile Planet has had this battery listed for over a week, but just today changed the ETA from 12/31 to 1/15.

seanturner
12-28-2002, 09:10 PM
The most important thing, though:

Note: Expansion Packs cannot be used when the Exended Battery is installed in your iPAQ Pocket PC.

I guess as long as you use expansion packs with their own supplemental battery, such as the CF+ and the PC+ packs, you should be OK.

--janak

I could be wrong, but, doesn't the CF expansion pack not have a included battery? Or have they changed it when they introduced those new expansion packs?

Janak Parekh
12-28-2002, 09:11 PM
I could be wrong, but, doesn't the CF expansion pack not have a included battery? Or have they changed it when they introduced those new expansion packs?
Correct. Both the CF+ and the PC+ packs share removable batteries. There are two kinds: a slim and a extended expansion pack battery.

--janak

seanturner
12-28-2002, 09:12 PM
Yeah, just went to the site and proved myeslf wrong. lol.

seanturner
12-28-2002, 09:17 PM
It doesn't help that the built-in 802.11B draws power like crazy (compared to an excellent Symbol CF card, which had nearly no impact on power), but even without it, the 3970 was much better.

Mobile Planet has had this battery listed for over a week, but just today changed the ETA from 12/31 to 1/15.

Did the CF sleeve you had have a built in battery? Because I remember by 3850 wouldn't have its battery life impacted when I ran my Orinoco PCMCIA card in the sleeve with the extended battery. But, I was just using my 5455 for the first time yesterday and noticed that the battery life was pretty bad while I had wireless on. But, that could be due to the fact that it was charging that backup battery with the main battery. I'll have to do some more testing...

I am, however, thinking about writing a review of the 5455's wireless capabilities versus those of other CF and PCMCIA cards and was wondering if anyone knows of a program that I can use to test transfer speeds over 802.11b or one to continuously loop a transfer so that I can check battery life?