View Full Version : Axim Doesn't Like SPB PocketPlus v1.1 - Today Screen Plug-in Problems

BoiseNative
12-26-2002, 09:33 PM
For those of you excited about SPB's PocketPlus, you'll be disappointed that it isn't 100% functional on the Axim. Repeating alarms work okay. The program "X" close features work okay. But the Today screen plug-ins aren't happy.

When you click on the battery and backlight icons from the Today screen, they don’t launch the control panel applets as expected. Also, the backlight icon in the Today screen doesn’t adjust the backlight. I’ve contacted SPB on both of these issues, but it wouldn’t hurt if everyone with an Axim and PocketPlus would contact them to request a fix in their next release.

You can use the form here http://www.softspb.com/products/pocketplus/support.html or email them at [email protected].

flipflop
12-27-2002, 05:05 AM
The brightness icon with Battery Pack also didn't do anything, so Pocket Plus is not alone. These icons aren't really necessary, though, because both the battery and brightness icons are at the top of the screen next to "Start".

BoiseNative
12-29-2002, 03:46 AM
I assume you're talking about the icons that appear on the taskbar when using Dell's SwitcherBar application. True, you can use those icons for access to the battery, brightness, and memory applets but I'm not using Dell's app (I don't like the clutter on my taskbar).

When PocketPlus is fixed, it will make SwitcherBar unnecessary. It will handle all of SwitcherBar tasks, with the added bonus of repeating alarms, a "real" program closer, and multiple IE windows. And there's no taskbar clutter!

TheBacklash
12-29-2002, 05:46 AM
I agree, no clutter on my taskbar.

I have battery pack 2002 on my Axim, as well as pocketplus. But I use pocketplus mainly for the true shuting down of the apps, the today screen part I don't use.

flipflop
12-29-2002, 03:30 PM
I assume you're talking about the icons that appear on the taskbar when using Dell's SwitcherBar application. True, you can use those icons for access to the battery, brightness, and memory applets but I'm not using Dell's app (I don't like the clutter on my taskbar).

I'm new to Pocket PC 2002, so maybe you could clarify this for me. You mentioned clutter in the task bar. I assume you are referring to the top line on the screen. The only thing I ever have at the top is the start menu, switcher, battery, brightness, sound and time icons. If this is the taskbar, shouldn't there be an icon for each currently running task on this bar?

BoiseNative
12-30-2002, 01:19 AM
If this is the taskbar, shouldn't there be an icon for each currently running task on this bar?
Firstly, yes the area at the top of the screen is called the taskbar.
And secondly, the switcher, battery, and brightness icons on the taskbar are unique to Dell's Axim. You won't find these icons on other Pocket PC's, and they only show up on the Axim when Dell's Switcher Bar application is running. You can close Switcher Bar by clicking on the switcher icon, then clicking on "Exit Switcher Bar". Viola! See how nice and clean the taskbar is now?

Don't get me wrong, I think it was really nice of Dell to include the Switcher Bar application, but I'm just not crazy about having those icons always on the taskbar.

Most PocketPC manufacturer's have come up with some kind of application that does what Dell's Switcher Bar application does. Compaq had their iTask application, for example. There has been a need for these "helper" applications to address a couple of shortcomings in the PocketPC operating system: First, a way to really close an application instead of "smart" minimizing it, and second, a way to quickly switch between two or more running applications.

I think PocketPlus is one of the slickest solutions I've seen yet, and at only $10 it's priced right for me, and it also fixes one of my greatest complaints about MS PPC2002 operating system - that lack of repeating alarms on appointments. The previous operating system (PPC2000) had repeating alarms on appointments, and I still for the life of me can't figure why some MS genius decided to remove it.

flipflop
01-01-2003, 08:57 PM
You can close Switcher Bar by clicking on the switcher icon, then clicking on "Exit Switcher Bar". Viola! See how nice and clean the taskbar is now?

Don't get me wrong, I think it was really nice of Dell to include the Switcher Bar application, but I'm just not crazy about having those icons always on the taskbar.

I think PocketPlus is one of the slickest solutions I've seen yet, and at only $10 it's priced right for me, and it also fixes one of my greatest complaints about MS PPC2002 operating system - that lack of repeating alarms on appointments. The previous operating system (PPC2000) had repeating alarms on appointments, and I still for the life of me can't figure why some MS genius decided to remove it.

This is a personal preference, but I don't think the two icons clutter the taskbar, especially since they add functionality to the Axim, and if they were not on the task bar, they would use valuable screen real estate that could be used for other purposes. However, since PocketPlus includes the battery and brightness icons, I would expect them to work. I mentioned that the brightness icon with Battery Pack also doesn't work, which suggest this problem may be specific to Dell. It's not clear where the root cause of the problem is, or who is in a better position to fix it - Dell or 3rd party software developers.

As for actually closing programs by tapping on "X", originally WinCE also did not close apps. If I recall MS' reasoning at that time, it was part of the "instant on, instant access" feature of the OS. However, since not closing apps did effect performance, it appears they conceded for a while, but have now gone back to their original goal of not having us be concerned about program memory management. The concept makes sense, and as memory becomes cheaper and power efficient, MS may achieve their goal of being able to instantaneously switch apps without have to start and stop them, and without degrading performance. Also, I think part of our pension for closing apps is a carryover from Windows on the desktop.