View Full Version : Seeing Some Strange Ads?

Jason Dunn
12-26-2002, 08:24 PM
If you're seeing some strange ads here and there on the site, it's because we've partnered with Tribal Fusion to use up our excess page impressions. Tribal Fusion is a third-party ad brokering company, and will be serving all sorts of ads our way - some will be PDArelated, some will be technologically related, and others will be public service announcements from various orgazniations that Tribal Fusion donates ad space to. Just remember: if it moves, click it! :wink:

powder2000
12-26-2002, 09:03 PM
Wow, no offense but all these surveys and non-specific ads, where's this site going? I know things have to get paid for but it makes me a little nervous about being registered :roll: . Maybe you'll get a good offer that you can't refuse someday, just a thought.

Jhokur2k
12-26-2002, 09:41 PM
Hey, as long as I don't see "enhancement" or "enlargement" ads, I couldn't care :P

Janak Parekh
12-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Wow, no offense but all these surveys and non-specific ads, where's this site going?
It's trying to stay alive, as all the other sites are. :)

The phpBB polls are completely anonymous; it throws away your information, so it's not like Jason is marketing our email addresses or anything.

I'd worry much more about the sites that employ pop-unders, pop-ups, and cookies to track who you are and collect marketing info.

Hey, as long as I don't see "enhancement" or "enlargement" ads, I couldn't care :P
Amen! Add pop-ups to that. ;) At least Jason's telling us who his ad providers are.

--janak

Jonathan1
12-26-2002, 10:01 PM
Wow, no offense but all these surveys and non-specific ads, where's this site going? I know things have to get paid for but it makes me a little nervous about being registered :roll: . Maybe you'll get a good offer that you can't refuse someday, just a thought.

I think Jason knows enough what would happen to this site if he sold any personal information to anyone. Pocket PC Thoughts, as does any web site, depends on its users. Losing the trust of those user would tank any web site in a heatbeat. Even popular ones. as for the ads I've just had to learn to wear sunglasses when coming to this site. ACK! Epileptic seizures! ;) I kid. Its not nearly as bad as when you started doing ads. That was an Epileptic's worse nightnare.

MaximumPDA
12-27-2002, 12:58 AM
We use Tribal Fusion as well. In fact they now serve ads to most of the big PDA sites. I think we were their second or third PDA site and now they have like 12 they serve ads to. They pay monthly and have great online reporting, good choice PPCT.

--Bill

Rirath
12-27-2002, 01:17 AM
Whatever helps to pay the bills, within reason. Better them than me. :)

Examples of not within reason include:
Pop ups/unders - unless desperate
Floaty flash ads that hover above the articles
sound
spam

Compared to anything on that list, I can stomach a few polls and a few banners.

Mike Temporale
12-27-2002, 02:00 AM
I trust Jason's judgement. He seems very honset and straight forward person. Not like some of the people running other PDA sites. (and no, I'm not talking about Wes. )

As long as there are none of those "Security alerts" or pop-ups/unders, I'm happy. Heck, I even click the ads on occasion. I also use the affiliate links whenever possible.

Speaking of which.... You should set up a page that lists all of the affiliate links. Then when I want to buy something, I can start from there. I know you have one for amazon.com (not .ca) and Handago, but what about handheld canada? or eCost? Just a thought.

Jason Dunn
12-27-2002, 02:02 AM
Wow, no offense but all these surveys and non-specific ads, where's this site going?

Where is it going? Straight to the top! ;-)

Regarding the surveys, as I expressed earlier, they're completely anonymous and not tied to your profile in any way - we can't tie your responses to your profile, and the surveys were always optional - they were only for people who didn't mind sharing anonymous information.

Now as for the non-specific ads, the problem is this: I have more traffic than I have ads. It thrills me to no end that 27,000 of you visit this site every week day, but the problem is that I don't have enough ads to fill the slots, hence Tribal Fusion. Many other major PDA sites use them (like Brighthand), so it's not as unusual as you might think. The difference is that I told you about it. :-)

Jason Dunn
12-27-2002, 02:12 AM
Examples of not within reason include:
Pop ups/unders - unless desperate
Floaty flash ads that hover above the articles
sound
spam

Tribal Fusion has an option for pop-unders, which I opted not to use - I hate them as much as you do. Floaty Flash ads? Doubt we'll ever see that - although I've pondered "full page ads" in the middle of articles sort of like you see magazines doing. Sound & spam? Never.

DavidHorn
12-27-2002, 12:03 PM
I'm sure you probably want to keep this confidential - but how much does this site earn per month?

Pony99CA
12-27-2002, 05:21 PM
Wow, somebody who likes their Pocket PC as-is. Personally, I want to enhance my Pocket PC (with software and hardware) and enlarge its memory.

:rofl:

Steve

Jason Dunn
12-27-2002, 06:13 PM
I'm sure you probably want to keep this confidential - but how much does this site earn per month?

This is a tough one - I really want to be open with everyone here about the site, but I'm also not comfortable giving an exact figure out. Let's just say that it's earning me a part-time income. Some months it's pretty good (part-time job level), other months it's very flat (hobby, pizza-money level). :-) Things have picked up in the past month, so I'm hopefull this is a good sign of things to come. :way to go:

I would absolutely love to earn a full-time salary from working on the site - that would be a dream come true. :D

Jonathon Watkins
12-27-2002, 08:06 PM

Well, personally I don't need/want to know that much detailed information. I am happy that Jason is getting someting for it and that things are picking up in that department. :D

If you keep providing the good content, they will come! :wink:

Rirath
12-27-2002, 11:33 PM
This is a tough one - I really want to be open with everyone here about the site, but I'm also not comfortable giving an exact figure out. Let's just say that it's earning me a part-time income.

It'd be nice if more webmasters were as open about their sites as you are. Anyone else would have simply said something to the effect of None of Your Business, and never thought about it again. No idea why webmasters think every aspect of their site must be a closely guarded secret less the very bonds of the web shall break into chaos. ;)

Here's to continued success.

Pony99CA
12-28-2002, 04:17 AM

This is a tough one - I really want to be open with everyone here about the site, but I'm also not comfortable giving an exact figure out. Let's just say that it's earning me a part-time income. Some months it's pretty good (part-time job level), other months it's very flat (hobby, pizza-money level). :-) Things have picked up in the past month, so I'm hopefull this is a good sign of things to come. :way to go:

I would absolutely love to earn a full-time salary from working on the site - that would be a dream come true. :D
Personally, while I'm interested in what you get from this site, I wonder why it matters to anyone what you make. If you make a full-time living, more power to you.

Even though you say you make a part-time living some months, I bet if you figured your hourly pay rate, it would be abysmal. It's probably not said enough here, but I appreciate the work you must put in to keep this site running, and I'm sure most of us do, too.
:way to go: :rock on dude!: :werenotworthy:

Steve

Kati Compton
12-28-2002, 04:34 AM
Personally, while I'm interested in what you get from this site, I wonder why it matters to anyone what you make. If you make a full-time living, more power to you.

I doubt that anyone is begrudging Jason any income from the site. I think it's more curiousity.

enob
12-28-2002, 06:53 AM
Lets look at it from the bright side maybe some of these surveys will help develop or improve something for all our PDA's.

Duddy
01-01-2003, 02:28 AM
Would these new ads have anything to do with the start of 2003? :wink: