View Full Version : screen protectors........ (sorry if I keep asking questions about the protector but I want to make sure I get a good one

dynomike27
12-26-2002, 04:59 AM
I know a lot of people has talked about the screen protectors, but they haven't answered my question. Which screen protector is the best & that fits on the Dell Axim perfectly. The T-mobile XDA Pocket PC Phone Edition screen protectors is the same size as the Dell, are they good? thanks.

Rirath
12-26-2002, 05:23 AM
Longest. Subject. Evar. :wink:
I prefer the free, unobtrusive kind. Aka, none.

etalianstallion
12-26-2002, 10:45 PM
I have tried both the screen protectors from Dell as well as Fellowes WriteRights (for Jornana 568). The screen protectors from Dell sits on the screen but is adhesive. There is a very very slight yellow tone but it does eliminate a lot of glare.

I switched over to the Fellowes WriteRights since I've heard so many good things about them, but frankly speaking, I may switch back to the Dell screen protectors. The glare is still there as if there wasn't a screen protector at all. Also, the more you use it, scratches/indentations start to appear on the screen, though it is only noticeable when the device is turned off.

Either way you go, I'd recommend using the screen protectors, but only because I really don't like to see the tiny scratches on the screen itself. You don't sacrifice much at all by using them.

Cary
12-27-2002, 07:19 AM
Interesting, the Dell screen protectors I bought are NOT adhesive. Perhaps you got a different set?

Mine have small tabs at the top and bottom that slip under the screen border to hold the protector in place. I'm happy with them, but I haven't tried anything else either so I can't really compare to another type. I feel a lot safer with them on though, so I definitely recommend investing in some kind of screen cover.

Cary
12-27-2002, 07:21 AM
By the way, there's a protective film on the dell screen covers that you are supposed to remove. They didn't come with any instructions or anything, so I didn't know that it was there until I read about them in a forum. You mentioned a yellow tint, but there really shouldn't be any if the film is gone! You can scratch at a corner to peel it off - mine is completely clear now with no tint.

yvilla
12-27-2002, 07:46 AM
I switched over to the Fellowes WriteRights since I've heard so many good things about them, but frankly speaking, I may switch back to the Dell screen protectors.

Are you sure you've heard good things about the WriteRights?? I ask because I've never heard a good word about them. Could you be mistaking the accolades that are out there for the WriteShield--a really great screen protector--for the WriteRights, which really don't deserve any praise.

The WriteShields are available at http://www.pocketpctechs.com/
They may seem expensive at first glance, but one screen protector lasts forever, without the indentations and scratches you are seeing on the Fellowes product. You owe it to yourself to try them.

etalianstallion
12-27-2002, 05:19 PM
Sorry, typo there. Yes, the Dell Screen Protectors do NOT have an adhesive backing.

I've heard good things about the Fellowes WriteRights from some fellow coworkers who use it on their Palms....haven't heard much about the PPC version though. From my own experience I would not recommend them.

marlof
12-27-2002, 05:24 PM
One vote here for the WriteShields. I used to hate screen protectors, until I put a WriteShield on. I love those, and they seem to last forever.

yvilla
12-27-2002, 05:32 PM
I've heard good things about the Fellowes WriteRights from some fellow coworkers who use it on their Palms....

Ahh, that's the answer....

(Sorry, just couldn't resist). :lol: :lol:

egads
12-27-2002, 11:11 PM
With the Dell protectors does anyone else get bubbles :?:
And yes, I've taken the plastic sheet off. It looks like there is water caught between the protector and the X5. Can't figure out why it does this. I see small dots every 1/8 of an inch or so and that is were I see the bubbles form. See picture to see exactly what I'm talking about.

http://home.attbi.com/~g.deuerling/IMG_1001.JPG

Any ideals ?

dynomike27
12-28-2002, 01:30 AM
I bought the Fellowes screen protector (the Ipaq) for my Dell and it's ok. Once you get it on, it leaves weird shapes on the sreen of the AXIM, becuase of the puting the protectors on, and taking off of the screen protectors, but when you turn the Dell AXIM, you can bearly notice them. All the screen protectors aren't great, but they are good to have. Out of 1-5, 5 being the best, i give it a 4.

Kati Compton
12-28-2002, 04:41 AM
That is a very interesting grid pattern... I'm surprised it's not random. I have no idea what it means.

Rirath
12-28-2002, 04:45 AM
Reminds me of my weird dust a few weeks back. The circles were larger, but generally the same.
Probably something to do with the sensors under the screen?

Then again, maybe this is just the next generation of crop circles. 8O

KiLLiN-TiMe
01-03-2003, 11:29 PM
I also had the same thing happen with the screen protectors. if you look very close you will notice that they have small holes (so they can breath?) and every where there is a hole you get a bubble. the protector seats down around the hole but leaves a bubble at the hole. hold one up to the light and you'll see the holes. not sure why they did that. :?:

Underwater Mike
01-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Another vote for the WriteSHIELD from PPC Techs. I just received mine and installed on the Axim. Fits perfectly, eliminates reflections, improves peace of mind. Even if you bought the less-expensive Axim, the WriteSHIELD is a worthwhile investment.

The Dell protectors scared me off since they seem to "float" on the surface of the screen and might, I think, cause scratches if any dust or grit comes between the protector and the screen. I also had a Brando protector for my iPAQ; it worked well, but the WriteSHIELD is a better buy.

Don't waste your money on the Fellowes product. I used it on my Palm Vx and iPAQ only until I could get something better. It's tough to apply w/o bubbles, scratches easily and is difficult to remove. NOT worth the money. In fact, I probably have an old package laying around somewhere. I tried to cut one down to use on my cell, but couldn't get the fit correct.

Pat Logsdon
01-04-2003, 01:05 AM
Then again, maybe this is just the next generation of crop circles. 8O

So would that be very small aliens, or very strange Englishmen? :D

AirTimid
01-04-2003, 07:02 AM
The Clear Touch protectors from www.boxwave.com are great. I did have to order the Compaq 3000 series and cut it down. No biggie.

Oreocat
01-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Here's another vote for the Writeshields. I ordered them using the 10% off from PocketPcPassions, and just got them yesterday.

They're fantastic! Clear view, sticky, but no odd bubbling or streaking, smooth surface, not rubbery or scratchy, covers the entire screen. Not too hard to install, either.

From the reviews I've read of screen protectors, Writeshields are the best, and I agree.

Oreocat

goirish!!
01-04-2003, 04:26 PM

I have been reluctant to use one as well. How does the screen appear to be holding up for you?? I used one on my Maestro and then took it off. Needless to say after a couple of weeks started seeing light "scratches" on the screen.

For now I'm "naked", Amix that is, but I'm don't know how long I can take it. :oops:

egads
01-04-2003, 05:32 PM
I also had the same thing happen with the screen protectors. if you look very close you will notice that they have small holes (so they can breath?) and every where there is a hole you get a bubble. the protector seats down around the hole but leaves a bubble at the hole. hold one up to the light and you'll see the holes. not sure why they did that. :?:

Not sure if the holes are there for it to breath, but yes, I saw them. Looking at the circles they actually looked wet, then I had a thought. I thought that the pattern was made by goo on the screen protector left over from the the plastic sheet was removed. I removed the protector from my Axim and let it sit out for two days to dry, then put it back on. Guess what, no crop circles :P

Now I see no bubbles and the screen is very clear, just like it should be.

goirish!!
01-05-2003, 03:22 AM

I have been reluctant to use one as well. How does the screen appear to be holding up for you?? I used one on my Maestro and then took it off. Needless to say after a couple of weeks started seeing light "scratches" on the screen.

For now I'm "naked", Amix that is, but I'm don't know how long I can take it. :oops:

UPDATE:

Just out of curiosity I took a G2 that I had with my Maestro and tried it on the Axim. Perfect fit!! NOTE: From perosnal experience, as well as others who will concur, the G2 is not the easiest protector to install. On the Maestro I actually scratched my screen (lightly) trying to install the protector. It is a flexable yet hard plastic that if not handled correctly will scratch the crap out of a screen.

On the bright side I've had this one for about six months and it shows light use but nothing major. It is definitely tough as nails, and pretty darn clear, but keep the first part in mind when installing.

I may keep this on for a while just for piece of mind. :wink:

goirish!!
01-05-2003, 03:28 AM
By the way installation of a hard non-adhesive protector can be tricky no matter how careful you are. I read several peoples methods and found that for me the following works:

1 - Wear latex gloves!! Nothing worse than trapping a finger print under the protector, it will drive you crazy.

2 - Clean the screen - methods vary

3 - I install in the bathroom just after letting the shower run with hot water. Don't steam up the room too much but it will definately reduce the air borne dust!!

4 - Keep a can of compressed air handy and blow off the screen and protector just before installation _ If you have a computer you must have compressed air.

5 - Install according to directions.

Now this may seem a little anal but trust me, run a search and read all of the dust concerns people report when installing a protector. The extra ten minutes you spend doing this will pay off in the end!! :D

Rirath
01-05-2003, 03:44 AM
3 - I install in the bathroom just after letting the shower run with hot water. Don't steam up the room too much but it will definately reduce the air borne dust!!

4 - Keep a can of compressed air handy and blow off the screen and protector just before installation _ If you have a computer you must have compressed air.

Can't say I recommend either of these. Steam could get into the system, which obviously would be very bad. And compressed air has a tendency to be really cold, and sometimes really wet. I wouldn't spray that directly on the screen.

Rirath
01-05-2003, 03:46 AM

Well, there's one or two small scuff marks on it now after a little over a month of daily use. They're small though, it really doesn't bother me compared to how much better it feels to use. We're talking really small, really dim marks. You'd have to look hard and shine it in the right light to notice them at all. By next year they'll built up to the point where you do notice them, but only on a blank screen. It's a small concern to me.

goirish!!
01-05-2003, 04:09 AM

Can't say I recommend either of these. Steam could get into the system, which obviously would be very bad. And compressed air has a tendency to be really cold, and sometimes really wet. I wouldn't spray that directly on the screen.

True on both accounts but I didn't say take it in the sauna just a light steam in the room. I can assue you this is not going to harm the system. And the compressed air will cause some condensation if you hold the can upside down or give it a major blast of air. Just a quick hit from the can won't do anything either. I've done this too many times, also too many others use the same method with good results.

To tell you the truth, you would think that all PPC manufactures would address this issue and make a more durable screen material.

Rirath
01-05-2003, 04:16 AM
Perhaps what I should of said is I don't recommend it to someone inexperienced in such things, at least without a good level of caution. I'm sure you know what you're doing.

Computer Ninja
01-05-2003, 09:15 AM
As long as you are sure your stylus is clean, wouldn't you not need to worry about your screen getting scratched?

I do have to say, however, that my Handspring Visor got pitted and scratched over time. I just DON'T want to put a screen protector over my Axim because I just LOVE how smooth it is right now (1 1/2 weeks old).

Rirath
01-05-2003, 11:13 AM
As long as you are sure your stylus is clean, wouldn't you not need to worry about your screen getting scratched?

I agree I don't want a screen protector... but what on earth does a clean stylus have to do with a hard peice of plastic slowly wearing away at the screen by poking and jabbing it all day?

Computer Ninja
01-05-2003, 05:04 PM
If there are dust particles or tiny pieces of dirt on the stylus tip, wouldn't that make the stylus abrasive, causing it to eat up the screen a little more?

spursdude
01-05-2003, 09:21 PM

I agree I don't want a screen protector... but what on earth does a clean stylus have to do with a hard peice of plastic slowly wearing away at the screen by poking and jabbing it all day?

It's when you drag your stylus on the screen. If you have something sharp on the end of your stylus and drag it around, you're gonna get scratches (like the many I have on my Maestro). If your stylus is clean, it's fairly smooth-tipped, and thus shouldn't scratch.

dbman
01-06-2003, 08:12 PM
Another vote for WriteShields. I put a WriteRight on my Axim until my order for WriteShields arrived. There is no comparison. WriteRights are soft and dimple easily, they do not reduce glare, you can't easily get them off and reuse them, and they have bubble problems. WriteShields have none of these problems. I've had a WriteShield on my Axim for over a week now (took it off once to center it) and it shows no sign of wear and I use it alot! Other users have indicated that after 3-6 months, they still look as good as the day they went on. I can't say enough about how much I like WriteShields.

PotPie
01-06-2003, 09:54 PM
For those that have used the Write Shields, did you order the regular or deluxe pack? Just curious to know if the $10 extra is worth it??

Thanks!

drop
01-06-2003, 10:30 PM
For those that have used the Write Shields, did you order the regular or deluxe pack? Just curious to know if the $10 extra is worth it??

Thanks!

I got the standard pack.

I am very pleased with WriteShields. It does have a better touch than without the protector. Probably because I don't mind pressing a bit harder now. I can finally play my Cubicle Choas 8) .

cyclwestks
01-06-2003, 10:30 PM
I bought some Writeshields at Sears on clearance for $2.97 for the Palm 3C, I just trim a little off the bottom & side & they work perfect. Maybe a little more work, but can't beat the price.