View Full Version : Network question

Xtreme23
12-25-2002, 05:22 AM
ok so i've kinda get a sense of this whole wi-fi ....bluetooth stuff.. im new to it all... what do you guys recommend if i just want to access the net on my pda and my only source of internet connection is from my laptop... is there a way to have my pda feed off the connections from my laptop?

Janak Parekh
12-25-2002, 08:06 AM
What kind of internet connection is it? Also, it depends on how many PC card slots your laptop has. Basically, your laptop can do "Internet Connection Sharing" between your Internet connection and an ad-hoc Wi-Fi connection to your PDA.

Still, I don't recommend this route--a wireless access point/base station coupled with one (or two wireless cards, if you want to be able to roam with your laptop) is generally easier to set up and, more importantly, doesn't need your laptop to be on.

--janak

Xtreme23
12-25-2002, 05:12 PM
My Laptop gets LAN connection and dial up ... so i was thinking of maybe that blue tooth usb adapter for my laptop and get a cf bluetooth for my pda and connect that way... but im not sure .. that's why im ask for opinions ..

Sven Johannsen
12-25-2002, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't go BT for what you are wanting yet. Set-up and capability is still a bit spotty among the offerings. Getting a BT PPC (built-in or CF) is pretty well defined, but using BT as a route to Internet Connection Sharing can be very tricky.

I agree that WiFi is the best solution for you currently. You didn't mention if your normal Internet Connection is broadband or not. Sounds like it since you mention LAN. You could let the laptop access the Internet via it's LAN connection as usual, get a WiFi card for it and the PPC and do Ad-HOC (peer-to-peer) WiFi from the PPC to the Laptop and share the laptop's connection. The laptop would have to be on for this to work, of course. Cost about two WiFi card, ~ $150.

The other option advanced was to get a WiFi router/switch/Access Point and a WiFi Card for the PPC. The Router would be hooked to yur current Internet Access, assuming it is broadband, and you laptop would be cabled to the router. The PPC would be served by the wireless access point. The Routers are running around $100-125 these days and the WiFi card I'm still saying around $75, so total about $175 - $200. Not substantially more for a whole lot easier and more flexible setup.

The prices I've listed are rock bottom, but attainable. Better stuff costs more, but you get the idea.

seanturner
12-26-2002, 05:28 AM
Here is an article I wrote on the returns of internet access on your ppc:

http://www.pdajunkie.net/wirelessinetppc.htm