View Full Version : Mapping SW Question

ttime4four
12-24-2002, 05:48 PM
I"m looking for decent mapping software without spending big $$. What are your thoughts on MS Pocket Streets 2002?

When I was in Costco, I saw Streets & Trips 2002 http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=subcat%2Easp&catid=2805&subid=3656&hierid=3670&log=&NavTop= on sale at $12.99 after rebate. The description says that it includes Pocket Streets 2002. At $13 bucks it looks like quite the deal.

However, while checking MS' site, I see the new version of Streets & Trips 2003 out for $34.95 after rebate.

My Axim came with Pocket Streets 2001 and I cannot find maps that work for that version. If I get the 2002 version, will I find myself in the same spot of not being able to find maps?

Thanks...

Sven Johannsen
12-24-2002, 08:25 PM
You won't find yourself in the same situation. If you have (or get) a copy of Streets and Trips 2002, or 2003, you can make maps for the current version of Pocket Streets. Pocket Streets 2002 comes with S&T 2002. You can update it with file from MS's site to support GPS and find a contact's address, from contacts.

The Pocket Streets that comes with S&T 2003 is essentially 2002 with the patches already applied. For the first time, maps you exported with S&T 2002 will actually work under the Pocket Streets that comes with S&T 2003.

You should be able to find S&T 2003 (with Pocket Streets) for about the same price you quoted for the 2002 version. I got my 2003 at Sam's for about that price (after rebate). I think they are just trying to move some old stock.

P.S. I like Pocket Streets. It is however one of the least featureful mapping programs out there. take a look at the software section at www.gpspassion.com Don't let the GPS part throw you. those things are all the same ;). The difference is very much in the mapping software. Good reviews of what does what. Hard to go wrong for ~$15 though, and the desktop program is worth every penny.

surfaday
12-27-2002, 07:24 PM
I'm very happy with Mapopolis and the $9.95 Platinmum version of their map for my area. You can get a basic map for $3.95 but I have seen that map and did not like it. Apparently the maps are published by different companies, and I prefer the map by NavTech.

Some of the features are: door-to-door driving directions, (both text and highlighted streets on the map), streets with addresses, (very cool, the placement of your address is pretty accurate, I have seen mapping software that will mark your street but not the location of the address), cities, water features, landmarks, no expiration.

One thing that is very cool is the navigation, (not gps, though you can buy that version as well), which has more than once taken me on a much shorter/easier route than I would have picked, and is a great help around cloverleafs/freeway exits.

Walt