View Full Version : Streaming Radio

John Walkosak
12-24-2002, 01:56 AM
Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else have any trouble streaming audio across the internet? I'd like to stream CNet Radio on my ipaq and wifi card but I just can't make it work. Any suggestions.

Gremmie
12-24-2002, 02:01 AM
Windows Media Files or Real?

Real = :evil:
Windows Media Streaming = :roll:

John Walkosak
12-24-2002, 02:36 AM
Cnet gives me the choice, and I have tried both using WMP and the latest real player for ppc, but no luck either way.

Brianflys
12-26-2002, 01:10 AM
I'm able to stream CNET over WiFI using WMP 8.5. I'm using an IPAQ 3970 with a Linksys WCF12 WiFI card. I'm also using the 128 bit encryption on the WiFi network. I used the link to CNET radio on Windowsmedia.com, listed on the Radio page. Works fine.

On the other hand, Mobile RealPlayer is a "Real" POS. I've tried the downloads at the Real site and the version from the IPAQ CD, and it's clear that this POS does not do streaming audio. Nothing but an error message: "Response or data from server timed out" every time, without fail.

Too bad so many sources use "RealBadPlayer"...

Chris Pi
12-26-2002, 02:21 PM
I bought a Toshiba e740 earlier this summer partly so that I could listen to internet radio on my home wireless network. I couldn't get it to stream from any websites except the official windows mobile media and real one mobile sites. I don't think the software has the capability - hopefully the next ppc os will remedy this.

dcharles18
12-27-2002, 05:25 PM
I stream talk radio everyday over my 3955 using WMP without any trouble. Real Player is crap, I've never gotten it to work. I'm connected to the net via passthrough on my work PC.

ttran
12-27-2002, 05:40 PM
I'm using the GSPlayer from GreenSoftware v1.66a. It allows me to use
playlist files from Shoutcast website to play streaming music. It works
great over Wifi.

Link can be founded here:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62601&highlight=GSplayer

John Walkosak
12-30-2002, 12:46 PM
I'm able to stream CNET over WiFI using WMP 8.5. I'm using an IPAQ 3970 with a Linksys WCF12 WiFI card. I'm also using the 128 bit encryption on the WiFi network. I used the link to CNET radio on Windowsmedia.com, listed on the Radio page. Works fine..

:D I hadn't tried connecting to Cnet thru WindowsMedia.com. Works like a charm! Thanks for the heads up! :rock on dude!:

Chris Pi
12-30-2002, 03:20 PM
Are all the radio stations I can see at windowsmedia.com in the radio section on my pc available on a pocket pc? I haven't checked in awhile and from what I see on my pc they have expanded their catalogue.

dcharles18
12-30-2002, 05:07 PM
Not really and here's why. Alot of the one's that I've run into when you click on the 'listen live' link on your pc you a greeted with a pop-up that asks you to register or decline, either way, you still get to listen to the station, however, since the pop-up is not supported in PIE, you can't get the station to play. If anyone knows a way around this please feel free to correct me.

I would kill to get Real One working, I love WABC out of New York, but for the life of me I can't get it streaming over my iPAQ.