View Full Version : Problems with D-Pad? Is it really serious?

mirkazemisaman
12-23-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone :D ,
I am getting my first PPC and I was thinking of the Dell Axim X5 (the 400mhz version) anyway, I was wondering if there really is a serious problem with the D-Pad since I will be playing games on it, and if there is are all of their devices defective?
How major is the problem, is it just a little flimsy or does it give you enough problems that you won't enjoy playing games etc? Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

blazingwolf
12-23-2002, 09:05 PM
As with any new device there are some probelms with the Dell. Most seem to revovle around the d-pad. I bought the 400Mhz for my wife and there does not seem to be any problem with the d-pad. I am sure others will be more than willing to tell you about their problems. The nice thing is the return policy for Dell will get you a new pretty quick if you do have problems. I wouldn't let the d-pad prevent you from buying the Axim.

tccox
12-24-2002, 02:09 AM
No problem with the navigator pad on my Axim

mirkazemisaman
12-24-2002, 06:28 AM
Thank you all for the info. I didn't know about their return policy. I will now be definitely getting one in the next few days...

mavx5
12-25-2002, 05:17 AM
Apparently, the first batch of Axim's shipped had a messed up D-pad. I was one of those that took delivery of one. Up, down, and left worked just fine. However "right" was very flakey and didn't work consistently. Called tech support 12/22, they shipped one on the 23rd, got it today (24th) and the replacement works great. So it looks like just the very first ones delivered might have had the problem. Good luck!

Computer Ninja
01-05-2003, 09:33 AM
Which ship dates do you think were affected? My wife ordered mine on 11/27. I think she received it for me on 12/21. I got it for XMAS, obviously. I haven't tried TOO many things with the d-pad, but I did think it felt kind of loose and flimsy. Would mine have been affected, as it was shipped in early December, most likely?

SomeGuy11
01-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Hi,

The D-Pad on my Axim X5 (300 MHz) is mostly 'ok', but there's still some annoying quirks.

Eg: In Excel, usually pressing up/down/left/right works, but sometimes, it goes in the wrong direction, or it get's 'stuck' and it moves twice (or more) even though I only pressed once. The wrong direction is really noticeable if I try to move up+right, up+left, down+right, down+left.

I'm just wondering if it's worth going thru the hassle of getting a replacement.

[Does anyone have a perfectly working D-pad?]

Thx,
-Michael.

Rirath
01-07-2003, 08:42 PM
That's something you've got to decide for yourself of course. Do it before 30 days though or you'll get a refurbished one. Personally, I just stuck with what I have to avoid the hassle.

Computer Ninja
01-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Darn forum keeps having me login for some reason!!

Rirath, what hassle?

Rirath
01-07-2003, 10:51 PM
CN, delete your cookie, that should fix it. I hit the same snag. Hassle being that the people on the support lines don't know anything and that I worry I'll wind up in the same boat as others who didn't get a return slip, missing pieces, etc. You might want to spend a afternoon reading past posts around here.

Computer Ninja
01-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Thanks, friend.