View Full Version : Playing MP3 over the wireless connection

GDL785
12-23-2002, 08:24 PM
I'm using Windows XP Pro with SP1 and have an IPAQ 3835. My wireless AP is connected to a Linksys Router.

I just recently got a wireless compact flash card... Everything works (I'm able to map a network drive to my Pocket PC, ActiveSync Wirelessly, access the internet, etc...) but when I try to play MP3 files, Windows Media Player is always buffering it every 3 seconds. It's very annoying... Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? The first time I tried it works fine but then after that it just keeps buffering... Could it be the speed?

My link quality and signal level is very high and my Tx Rate is mostly on 11Mbps.

Thanks in advance

GDL785
12-23-2002, 08:27 PM
Forgot to add this info...

Even if I'm directly infront of my wireless AP... Windows Media Player is still buffering the file...

sparky472
12-24-2002, 09:40 PM
I had this problem too. I switched to PocketDivX for playing my mp3 files. It works like a charm and has a good playlist editor as well.

GDL785
12-24-2002, 10:07 PM
yeah I finally got it to work. I used PocketMVP. It works great!

I was also able to find a program that would play Shoutcast Audio Streams

MonkeyGrass
01-15-2003, 09:43 PM
Hi guys!

I'm new here, a Palm convert (and a happy one at that) with my new e740. I love this thing!!! Man, I have seen the future, and PPC is it! :lol:

One question, in regards to playing MP3's over the wireless network, that maybe some of you guru's have the answer to:

Why can I only select one song at a time? I have installed Resco (great app!) and used both WithMP3, and PocketMVP to play my MP3's. I found out thru experimentation, that WMP does not buffer properly, that's the reason for the skipping. It's not the bandwith or the mem/proc speeds. It's WMP, pure and simple. Not a surprise, since I watch WMP (PC version) skip on a 800+ mhz machine with 256 MB RAM on desktops all the time.

But here is my problem - I can only add one song to the player, and it just won't add anymore network files to it! It plays skip free and beautifully, as far as one song goes... I just can't add multiple songs into a playlist, either thru Resco, or the built in File|Open feature in either player. Do any of you have a workaround or solution to this? Seems to me like I ought to be able to go to resco, select the first song, and then select more that would add themselves to the active playlist. Just like I do on the desktop. Am I going about this the wrong way, or is there some trick to this? I thought maybe it was the trial of WithMP3, but then PocketMVP did the same thing. :?

I have my WiFi set up properly, everything is awesome. I had it hooked up to the Internet, my Intranet, and WiFi ActiveSync in less than 20 minutes after I took it off the charge. I am truly blown away by this thing. If I could just get this MP3 network streaming thing resolved, I would be so happy, I just wouldn't know what to do with myself!!!! Well, yes I wouldm I'd be listening to MP3's all DAY LONG!!!! :D :D

Thanks in advance guys, I like what I'm seeing of the PPC community here. I was a regular at ClieSource for the last year, I had a lot of good buddies there. Alas, they have not seen the future of handheld computing, and I had to leave them admiring their overpriced Sony's!!!! :lol:

bdeli
01-16-2003, 07:06 AM
But here is my problem - I can only add one song to the player, and it just won't add anymore network files to it!

In windows media player you will have to create a playlist to be able to browse through more than one song.

In Pocket MVP select the whole list of mp3's in the network folder.

don dre
01-22-2003, 02:43 PM
I use with MP3 and have the same problem. It's either all songs in a given folder or none. I have been relegated to creating playlists. I emailed them and they said the next version (I guess 2.0) should take care of this problem. so far I'm still happy that I don;t have to lug CD's from room to room.

gwinter
01-22-2003, 04:16 PM
I don't have an AP, I'm using my card in Ad-hoc mode. I have a couple of MP3s that stutters badly when played back using WMP 8.5. I thought it was bad encoding since WMA and other MP3 files play fine.
Then I decided to disable the "Power-Saving" feature on the card, and the stutter seems to go away.

PPCRules
01-22-2003, 07:11 PM
Check this out ...

http://davespda.com/features/encoder.htm

I tried it and it works great. Will work with any audio source (and video, too, apparently) on your PC. I stuck with Windows Media Encoder version 7.1; not sure the '9 series' version would work with the Media Player on the PocketPC.

Teamed with VNC for player control, it would be quite the combo to show off your PocketPC.

seanturner
01-30-2003, 03:50 AM
The issue is that that the connection isn't performing fast enough to play the MP3.

For example, I am able to stream MP3's over 802.11b on my iPaq5455 when I have power saving disabled, but, when I enable power saving, my benchmarks show that the speed drops dramatically and the MP3 will play for a few seconds and then buffer itself.

pepemosca
02-19-2003, 04:08 PM
In windows media player you will have to create a playlist to be able to browse through more than one song.

In Pocket MVP select the whole list of mp3's in the network folder.

Where do i have to select all files? at Resco File Explorer?

And how do i create this playlist in WMP?

bdeli
02-19-2003, 04:24 PM
You do not need to select any files from Resco Explorer. With Resco Explorer you can browse through the files you have shared from your pc.

To create a wireless playlist, open windows media player. Click on Select, Organize Playlists. Click on new - type in a name. Once you do that you should get a list of mp3's/wma files you have shared on your pc.

Hope this helps!

pepemosca
02-19-2003, 06:28 PM
You do not need to select any files from Resco Explorer. With Resco Explorer you can browse through the files you have shared from your pc.

To create a wireless playlist, open windows media player. Click on Select, Organize Playlists. Click on new - type in a name. Once you do that you should get a list of mp3's/wma files you have shared on your pc.

Hope this helps!

I'll prefer to do the playlist for PocketMVP, but for WMP, I can't see the shared files in the "Organize Playlists" (I only see All Content, My Documents, iPAQ File Store).

BTW, I can see my files at Resco and File Explorer (MS)

PS: I have WMP 8.5 and PocketMVP .8p

bdeli
02-19-2003, 06:45 PM
For Pocket MVP (using ver .8n), click on file, playlist editor. Click on the + sign at the bottom bar, select network, your mp3 folder and select all. Click on Save and now you can open your playlist from pocket mvp.

For WMP (using ver 8.5 Build 12177) I get all my mp3's/wma listed under local content.

pepemosca
02-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Nope. There is no way that i can see the "Network" on Pocket MVP.

I can run an MP3 from Resco File Explorer 2003 and start PocketMVP .8p.

But I can't see the file that is playing at the "Playlist Editor".

What's your File Association?
Mine is "Program Files\PocketMVP\PocketMVP.exe" %1

bdeli
02-19-2003, 07:14 PM
Download BizzDev Netuse - http://www.bizzdev.com/en/downloads/netuse/ - and share your folder. See if it works with this.

pepemosca
02-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Yes! This works!

Are you using this program to see your network content?

PS: Thanks for the advice!

bdeli
02-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Yes! This works!

Glad you got it working! :D

Yes I use Netuse to make specific shares over my network - like sharing my music folder etc. But to see regular content I normally use Resco Explorer 2003 - the updated 4.1 version offers the ability to browse networked computers as well.

pepemosca
02-19-2003, 07:46 PM
Good to know
Thanks for all your advices!

Oh, Does this Netuse eats many resources?

bdeli
02-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Good to know
Thanks for all your advices!

Oh, Does this Netuse eats many resources?

Not at all. The cab file is around 45Kb and it only maps the drives in the registry. So you can close it after mapping your drives.

pepemosca
02-19-2003, 10:24 PM
Great!!

Hey, do you know some good Resources Meter?
Something that says how many resources each application eats

bdeli
02-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey, do you know some good Resources Meter?
Something that says how many resources each application eats

PocketTools 2.5 from Citadel Developments - http://www.citadeldevelopment.com/products/pockettools.asp

pepemosca
02-19-2003, 10:50 PM
bdeli, thanks for the link!

bdeli
02-19-2003, 10:53 PM
bdeli, thanks for the link!

u r welcome

bucho
02-20-2003, 07:40 AM
Yes! This works!

Yes I use Netuse to make specific shares over my network - like sharing my music folder etc. But to see regular content I normally use Resco Explorer 2003 - the updated 4.1 version offers the ability to browse networked computers as well.

You don't need BizzDev to do this. If you already own Resco, then it's pretty easy... Open Resco and go to File=>Options=>Add-Ins. The modify the default setting in Show Network from "as My Network root" to "as Network folder under My Device". This will allow you to see the files from any application. I think you will need to soft-reset...

pepemosca
02-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Yes! This works!

You don't need BizzDev to do this. If you already own Resco, then it's pretty easy... Open Resco and go to File=>Options=>Add-Ins. The modify the default setting in Show Network from "as My Network root" to "as Network folder under My Device". This will allow you to see the files from any application. I think you will need to soft-reset...

YES!! you are right! thanks for the info!!!

jali-p5
04-24-2004, 10:50 PM
does anyone have Netuse on their computer cause I went to the Bizzdev site and tried to download it from the link above as well as a number of different links, but it seems like the link has gone dead. if someone has it available, could they email it to me. It would be greatly appreciated. :D

The_Cheat
07-05-2004, 12:12 PM
I have the buffering issue on my e740. I have tried WM and Real player and both have this problem. Pocket DivX doesn't but it appears to copy the MP3 from the wireless drive first before playing - hence it takes about 2 mins from selecting the file before it starts playing. If I encode stuff in RM format, I don't get this problem - but this means I have to re-encode all my music from MP3 to RM, which I don't want to do.
I also don't appear to have an option to turn off power-saving on my wireless network.

HELP!!

ps (Mapping drives using NetUse).

cdcooker
07-09-2004, 10:15 PM
I have trouble to connect my new Axim X30 to my desktop computer thru the wifi connection.

Here is my setup:
I have a D-Link 802.11b wifi router. I have DSL service. My desktop is connecting to the router thru wired CAT-5 cable. My Axim X30 has wifi built-in and I can surf the web without any problem.

Here is my problem and question:
I would like to browse the local files on my desktop from my Axim, especially those mp3 files. I already made those local folders sharable on the network. When I use the PPC default File Explorer, I click the sharing icon on the bottom, and type \\<my desktop machine name> in the pop up box, after I hit OK, there is a message pop up saying "In order to connect to your work network you will need to configure a PN connection". I have unchecked the enable firewall checkbox on my desktop under the network property. What's wrong with my setup here? Did I miss anything? What is the quickest way to let my PPC to browse the local files on my desktop? I have tried to use the 30 days trial version of the Resco Explorer, and I can't browse the desktop PC from there too. I don't have Resco installed right now after a hard reset of my Axim. I plan not to purchase it if I can use the regular File Explorer or the free Netuse.

Here is what I want:
I would like to play my desktop mp3 files from my Axim, and control the playlist, from the Axim.

Thanks in advance.

cdcooker
07-12-2004, 04:28 PM
I finally can map to my local desktop shared folder from my X30. I use the free app Netuse and the built-in File Explorer of PPC. I can only accomplish this by change the Wifi setting of the current connection from "The Internet" to "Work". So basically, I cannot browse the web if I am mapping to the local folders.

One more question, even I can map a shared folder as a drive with netuse and file explorer, I still cannot create playlist with those network mp3 files in Pocket Windows Media Player. The add button is gray out. In File Explorer, even I multiple select a bunch of mp3 files, only one mp3 files will be played. Is there anyway to simply use Netuse + File Explorer and still be able to create a playlist of network mp3 files in PWMP?

Thanks