View Full Version : Cleartype Program

pschultz
12-23-2002, 12:30 AM
How do you enable Cleartype on a Pocket PC? Do you think Cleartype is better? On my iPAQ 3835, cleartype seems too blurry.

Rirath
12-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Cleartype seems just fine on the Axim. Don't much care for it on my desktop LCD though.

Janak Parekh
12-23-2002, 03:19 AM
The iPaqs are notoriously poor in handling ClearType; this has to do with the orientation of the pixel grid on the screen.

If you install the 1.20/2.20 ROM update, it'll improve it a little bit, but it still won't be like other PPC's.

Note that I haven't seen ClearType on a 39xx or a 54xx unit. From what I've heard, ClearType is better on a 39xx but still not great. 54xx is step further up yet not the same as the T-Mobile PPC PE, for example, where it is absolutely amazing.

--janak

Roosterman
12-23-2002, 06:09 AM
How do you enable Cleartype on a Pocket PC? Do you think Cleartype is better? On my iPAQ 3835, cleartype seems too blurry.

It does work well on the Axim. As Janek mentioned it doesn't work as well on the IPAQ. Just read an article on, I think, InfoSync, that mentioned because of the orientation of the pixels and also the increased size of the screen with the same 320 X 240 resoulution making the pixels bigger.

Bearjaw
02-24-2003, 01:28 AM
anyone know a program that will enable cleartype for all the system fonts?

Weyoun6
02-24-2003, 01:39 AM
PocketTweak lets you enable cleartype for IE, and 'screen' in settings will enable cleartype for some programs.

vincentsiaw
02-24-2003, 03:28 AM
yeah, cleartype sucks in ipaq 3800 series, but the 3900, it's awesome!

Pony99CA
02-24-2003, 10:15 AM
The simplest way to enable or disable ClearType is using the CNetX ClearType Applet (http://www.cnetx.com/ClearType/download.asp).

Steve

adrienne
02-25-2003, 02:28 PM
1. To enable ClearType on the iPAQ 1910 I go to Settings>System>Screen and check the selection box beside cleartype. I am assuming it would be the same on the other iPAQ models

2. I did a review on this about a month ago, it seemed OK on the h1910, there were some screens where there was a bit of a difference and others where it did not have much benefit.

msprague
02-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Cleartype seems just fine on the Axim. Don't much care for it on my desktop LCD though. I felt the same way until I tuned it on my desktop. Have you tried that? It can make a huge difference.
tune your desktop cleartype here (http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.htm?fname=%20&fsize=)

xendula
02-25-2003, 08:33 PM
To enable ClearType on the iPAQ 1910 I go to Settings>System>Screen and check the selection box beside cleartype. I am assuming it would be the same on the other iPAQ models

Unfortunately it is not! On my 3870 there is no box I can check.
BTW, how do I know whether cleartype is already activated or not?

Janak Parekh
02-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Unfortunately it is not! On my 3870 there is no box I can check.
BTW, how do I know whether cleartype is already activated or not?
That's because, honestly, you don't want ClearType enabled systemwide on the 3870. Its screen is not really tailored for it. If you haven't set any setting, then it's probably off -- you should be able to tell the difference (check MS Reader, if you're not sure, since that's always ClearType-enabled). If you really want to try it, there's a third-party program as someone else mentioned.

--janak

xendula
02-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Janak.
In that case cleartype is not enabled on my ipaq.

Strange, I actually like the writing in MS reader, but installing some 3rd party app is a diferent story.

Pony99CA
02-27-2003, 01:45 AM
Strange, I actually like the writing in MS reader, but installing some 3rd party app is a diferent story.
All that ClearType applet I posted about does, as far as I know, is modify a registry key or two. You can turn it off, too, so why is it a problem?

Steve

xendula
02-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Steve, I must admit I never looked at it.
Personally, I am just too scared to put too many apps on my PPC since I have absolutely NOOOO idea how to mess with the registry. I am still in that overly careful phase, don't know whether that's normal for new PPC users, or maybe it's just me :?

Pony99CA
02-27-2003, 10:35 PM
Steve, I must admit I never looked at it.
Personally, I am just too scared to put too many apps on my PPC since I have absolutely NOOOO idea how to mess with the registry. I am still in that overly careful phase, don't know whether that's normal for new PPC users, or maybe it's just me :?
That's why the program I referenced is nice. I hides the registry modifications from you. It's got two radio buttons (Enable ClearType & Disable ClearType) and a check box to soft reset your device in case some programs don't recognize the change immediately.

It gets added to your Settings System page.

I've had it on my iPAQ 3870 for quite a while without any problems.

Steve