View Full Version : WiFi Purchase

Deliverance
12-22-2002, 02:17 AM
I'm trying to decide which WiFi card I should get. I work at a CompUSA and can get a nice discount on a CF card from a company I've never heard of: Ambicom.

What I need to know is this: how much does brand matter, has anyone else heard of them, if brand does matter then can I get input on what I should get?

Also, I'm wondering about TCP/IP games and utilities, I already know of Snails, RocketElite (I think), and the new Pocket War.

All this is for my Dell Axim.

Thanks.

Pony99CA
12-22-2002, 04:42 AM
I'm trying to decide which WiFi card I should get. I work at a CompUSA and can get a nice discount on a CF card from a company I've never heard of: Ambicom.

What I need to know is this: how much does brand matter, has anyone else heard of them, if brand does matter then can I get input on what I should get?

I've heard of Ambicom, but don't know how good it is. There's a listing of various CF WiFi cards at Chris De Herrera's Web site (http://www.cewindows.net/peripherals/cfwirelesslan.htm) that you might want to check.

If you work at CompUSA, I would hope you could get a good return policy, too, so why not check that card out and let us know what you think?

Steve

TheNewSteve
12-22-2002, 03:14 PM
Didn't you guys have a really good deal friday and saturday for a Siemens WiFi router and USB adapter for like $100 after rebate?

I'd stick with a Socket/Symbol CF card for the low battery life and small profile. I just got one for $84 shipped on ebay, 1 month old. Beats $140.

-Steve

Doug Rausch
12-23-2002, 01:27 AM
I'll also put in a vote for the Socket CF card - I use mine with a Lynksys router and have had absolutly no problems. The low battery drain and small profile are what captured me. Also got mine on ebay - worth a look.

Deliverance
12-23-2002, 04:32 AM
Price is a big factor for me here.

Doug Rausch
12-23-2002, 07:19 PM
I've never worked with Ambicom so I can't give you a real good recommendation about that particular card. Make sure you consider in your purchase which brand of wireless router you will be using - most will work with any wireless card but as with all things magical some combinations work better than others.

Believe it or not a good place to check for potential problems before buying is the support web site for the product. Most have a user forum for users to ask questions and users that have not had the best of luck are not usually shy about getting their problems off their chest. Amazon.com also has a spot for user reviews of products that they carry and is another good source to find user problems. Best thing is to not base your research all on one site - look around.

You'll probably find all sorts of good deals on auction sites after the holidays as folks are upgrading their systems with parts found under the Christmas tree and getting rid of the old.