View Full Version : Error Message:Failed to Start Remote Services

PotPie
12-21-2002, 06:02 AM
When I go into Active Sync and open the explore tab, I get the error message:

Failed to Start Remote Services

Critical Communication services failed to start. . . exit all programs and restart.

If problem persists, reinstall Active Sync. . .

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still the same message. Does anyone have any advice or info? I am trying to load some themes to my pocket pc and this is what is happening.

Thanks

Steven Cedrone
12-21-2002, 06:03 AM
Try a soft reset...

Steve

PotPie
12-21-2002, 06:07 AM
Unfortunately, I have tried a soft reset and still no luck. I've even done a soft reset and then restarted Windows, but still no luck. This is the first time that I have tried using Active Sync to install anything. The other programs that I have installed were exe. type files and just installed automatically.

I'm stumped!

Sslixtis
12-21-2002, 06:17 AM
If you can Sync your PDA, I would try simply opening your Explore window in ActiveSync and copying the Themes to your My Documents folder. The Today Theme selector will be able to see them and you will be able to use them normally as long as you put them under My Documents :wink:

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Steven Cedrone
12-21-2002, 06:25 AM
When I go into Active Sync and open the explore tab, I get the error message:

Failed to Start Remote Services

Critical Communication services failed to start. . . exit all programs and restart.

If problem persists, reinstall Active Sync. . .

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still the same message. Does anyone have any advice or info? I am trying to load some themes to my pocket pc and this is what is happening.

Thanks

Does your Pocket PC actually sync? Do you just get this error when you try to "explore" your Pocket PC??? Do you have your Pocket PC hooked up to a USB hub?

Steve

PotPie
12-21-2002, 06:33 AM
Yes, my pocket pc will sync. I only get the error message when I try to explore.

PotPie
12-21-2002, 06:37 AM
It is not hooked up to a usb hub.

Could there be a problem with my Pocket PC communication settings???

I'm really not sure what else to try.

I really can't copy them to my documents because I get the error message when I try to explore.

Cudalac
12-21-2002, 06:41 AM
Try looking at the WCESxxx.log files. When AS has a problem it will write to one of the several log files it creates.

PotPie
12-21-2002, 06:58 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but where do I look for the WCESxxx.log files??? I am looking on my desktop or on the actual pocket pc???

Steven Cedrone
12-21-2002, 07:05 AM
Yes, my pocket pc will sync. I only get the error message when I try to explore.

Do you get the same message when you go to: "My computer", "mobile device", and explore that way, or just from within ActiveSync?

Steve

PotPie
12-21-2002, 07:16 AM
Either way, I get the same message. I actually was able to explore one time earlier in the evening and then after dinner, I tried to do it again and then I got the error message???

Pony99CA
12-21-2002, 09:25 AM
Please excuse my ignorance, but where do I look for the WCESxxx.log files??? I am looking on my desktop or on the actual pocket pc???
Use the Find capability of your host PC and search for WCES*.log. On my Windows 98 SE system, they're in C:\Windows\Temp.

Steve