View Full Version : Soft Reset

beezer23
12-21-2002, 04:29 AM
I'm new to Pocket PC's (I switched from Palm) and I was wondering how often should I soft reset?? If the PPC isn't locked up is it necessary? I'm used to the horrible memory management of MS products BUT the Dell switcher program allows me to truly exit programs, right?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

TheBacklash
12-21-2002, 05:38 AM
You really shouldn't "have" to soft reset very often... Only when certain programs call for it after setup/removal and the occasional crash/lockup.

So far I have had to soft reset twice. Both for Software setups.

I have pocket Plus installed and don't use the Switcher bar much...

Pony99CA
12-21-2002, 05:41 AM
I'm new to Pocket PC's (I switched from Palm) and I was wondering how often should I soft reset?? If the PPC isn't locked up is it necessary? I'm used to the horrible memory management of MS products BUT the Dell switcher program allows me to truly exit programs, right?

If the Dell switcher works like most switchers, it allows you to actually close programs.

As for soft resets, don't use them unless something locks up or stops working correctly. For example, sometimes my WiFi card doesn't activate properly, and a soft reset fixes that.

Steve

egads
12-23-2002, 02:02 PM

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Here is a more basic question, what the heck is a soft reset :?:
I know what a hard reset is. Is a soft rest just turning the PPC off then back on ?

Pat Logsdon
12-23-2002, 03:48 PM
Soft reset is when you use the stylus to hit the soft-reset button on the left side. It's like hitting ctrl+alt+delete on a desktop pc - resets everything but allows you to keep all of your programs and files, unlike a hard reset.

Also, if the switcher application from Dell isn't working, or if you don't want to use it, you can always use the software keyboard to hit ctrl+q - that'll close programs as well.