View Full Version : IE just quit working....

Cortex
12-21-2002, 02:58 AM
This is odd. I have a T-Mobile PPC phone and have been enjoying making a data connection to browse the web, check email, and chat with MSN messenger.

Today pIE just quit working!

I hadnt installed anything very recently and it was working fine a couple days ago. I typically chat with people on MSN messenger and then browse the web while waiting for their replies. Today I was doing just that when I realized although I could chat and check my email, Pocket Internet Explorer would not load a page from the internet...

In favorites IExplorer can recognize if there is a data connection or not by darkening or lightening the names of websites that are on the internet. This is still working properly but when I click on them or try to hit the go arrow, there is a very breif "Spinning world waiting image" in the top right but it just flashes once and then nothing happens. The same is true if I click the Go button.

I've gone through all of the settings I could think of and cleared the history and cash but to no avail....

Other software that is installed is
1. fonix voicedial
2. spbGPRS monitor
3. Gigabar

and thats about it!

Any ideas? It seems this happened to one other user who had upgraded his software (which I haven't).

:crazyeyes:

Steven Cedrone
12-21-2002, 05:22 AM
Did you try a soft reset?

Steve

inkfox
12-21-2002, 05:36 AM
Did you try a soft reset?

Steve

Same problem here.

Soft reset is a no go... the problem persists.

Paragon
12-21-2002, 05:42 AM
Check my post here. I think it should fix your problem.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52170#52170

Dave

inkfox
12-21-2002, 05:43 AM
Check my post here. I think it should fix your problem.
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52170#52170

Dave

It totally did.

Dave for President! :D

Cortex
12-21-2002, 05:06 PM
worked for me as well

MANY THANKS!!!!

ron

Paragon
12-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Out of curiousity did this problem begin for you guys after doing a restore?

Dave

inkfox
12-21-2002, 05:17 PM
Out of curiousity did this problem begin for you guys after doing a restore?

I've never done a restore. I haven't been able to pinpoint what caused it -- we compared notes, and we don't seem to have anything similar in our use. Even our installed programs have no overlap, save the PocketPC defaults.

Paragon
12-21-2002, 05:20 PM
Shoot, I thought I was narrowing it down to doing a restore. Thanks.....I think. :D

Dave

inkfox
12-21-2002, 07:02 PM
Shoot, I thought I was narrowing it down to doing a restore. Thanks.....I think. :D

Dave

Looking back, having watched streaming video over bluetooth might have been part of my last successful use of Explorer. I wonder if MediaPlayer 'borrowed' the http: association for its little stub download and didn't give it back or such, if that makes any sense?

Cortex
12-22-2002, 06:31 AM
i think mine happened while filling out an html form and waiting for the info to be sent to the server. i had switch back to a conversation in messenger and continued chatting. when i switched back to IE it seemed to have become disconnected. i could still check my email and use messenger. then a couple of days later i tried explorer and it wasnt working.

also just out of curiosity -- how in the hell did you discover that running that program would fix this???

Paragon
12-22-2002, 04:06 PM
also just out of curiosity -- how in the hell did you discover that running that program would fix this???

I canNOT take credit for the discovery. I'm unsure where I saw it first. I wish I could. I know just from the people I have passed this onto that it ranks up there with one of the best little "how to's" ever.

Hmmmm.....Jason if you are reading this, that sounds like a great front page post....The best "how to's" ever.

Dave

Kaber
12-23-2002, 10:56 PM
Just out of curiosity...

Were any of you cleaning house just before this happened? Like deleting tmp files or anything? Maybe moving or deleting some files out of the root my docs folder?

This had happened to me before also and I was lucky enough to come across the welcome.exe fix, but never got an answer about what caused it.

inkfox
12-23-2002, 11:12 PM
Just out of curiosity...

Were any of you cleaning house just before this happened? Like deleting tmp files or anything? Maybe moving or deleting some files out of the root my docs folder?

I did move some documents to my new MicroDrive, however I don't think I grabbed any of the files named earlier. It should only have been themes, PDFs, LITs, pictures and some Word docs.

Paragon
12-23-2002, 11:20 PM
According to "Pony99CA" in another thread:

In another thread, we determined that deleting the CMMapG, CMMapP and/or GCounterFile.mmf files in the My Device folder can cause Pocket Interent Explorer to fail.

Running the Welcome program replaces those files.

Cortex
12-23-2002, 11:55 PM
i confess
i did remove those files -- i thought they were leftovers related to spb gprs monitor and i had reinstalled it a few days prior.

what exactly are those files for and why are they just out in the open?

Paragon
12-24-2002, 12:01 AM
Darned if I know what they are for. You can tuck them away in another less obvious folder if you like. So far I have seen no ill effects.

Dave