View Full Version : newbie gamer question

dipper
12-20-2002, 03:06 AM
:?: I am a newbie to pocketpc. i have a hp jornada and i am currently interested in adding games. i enjoy word and puzzle games and the old classic arcade type games. what suggestions does any one have?

thanks

spursdude
12-20-2002, 04:42 AM
For arcade games, check out PocketNES (http://pocketnes.retrogames.com/). Basically, once you download ROMS online, you can play all of your good ol' NES games on your Pocket PC, and the emulator works well.

umichboy
12-20-2002, 05:26 AM
Does PocketNES work ok from an SD card? It seemed pretty slow, but I guess it was pretty slow from main memory too. Maybe a problem with the 5450? Or am I expecting too much from the emulator?

Fzara
12-20-2002, 06:41 AM
Where in the world do you find Roms from?
They're mostly illegal, but there are sites where you can find them from. I was wondering, what sites are they, if you can post them here.

Kati Compton
12-20-2002, 06:47 AM
Where in the world do you find Roms from?
They're mostly illegal, but there are sites where you can find them from. I was wondering, what sites are they, if you can post them here.

It's generally frowned upon to post a direct link. You will find it if you spend a little time searching for "NES ROMs". It isn't illegal (AFAIK) if you actually own the game you have the ROM of.

Fzara
12-21-2002, 09:42 PM
Forget about PocketNES, get PocketSX, an emulator for Sega Genesis.
I think.

Rirath
12-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Same as I always say... drop PokeNES, get YAME. (Also an NES emulator, among other things) You will -not- regret it. PokeNES started as a good idea, but never panned out. YAME has much better speed, sound, and graphics. There's been a few posts were to find it, or search the pokegamer.org forums.

JonnoB
12-21-2002, 10:23 PM
All of the emulation programs are neat... and if you legally own the games, you can run the ROM in the emulation - but for the most part, the ROM distribution is for illegal use and as such, it is generally frowned upon. There are lots of other games made native for the Pocket PC. My favorite site is PocketGamer (http://www.pocketgamer.org)

Fzara
12-23-2002, 07:11 AM
I was mistaken. PocketSX is an emulator for Sony PS1.
Also, where do I find YAME from? The japanese website seems shutdown, and I cant access a link.