View Full Version : General Question about Pocket PC OS

guinness
12-19-2002, 08:36 PM
I'm getting a Dell Axim for x-mas, I don't know which one, My parents asked what I wanted for x-mas and I said I'd like a PDA and Dell has a great price. How similar is the Pocket PC OS compared to regular windows? Does it take long to learn it, is it easy to install/unistall apps? I don't have experience with Palm OS, I came from an Avigo, so I'm pretty sure it will be a lot faster and whatnot than that.

Sven Johannsen
12-19-2002, 09:23 PM
Extremely similar, IMHO. The Start/Task bar is at the top and the menu bar is at the bottom. It has folders, shortcuts, a My Documents directory, a Windows directory, there is a statup folder that holds programs you want to have run when you soft reset, the equivalent of a reboot on a PC (though much faster). There is a Start Menu folder whivh holds shortcuts to programs you want on your Start Menu. You can open apps and docs from the File Explorer if you want, you can open an app and use an Open dialog to find the associated docs.

I have a Handspring I got to play with. Beats me how anyone can say it is easier to figure out than a PPC, unless they have been working on a Palm OS desktop for the last ten years.

Kati Compton
12-19-2002, 10:26 PM
I have a Handspring I got to play with. Beats me how anyone can say it is easier to figure out than a PPC, unless they have been working on a Palm OS desktop for the last ten years.

I do think that PalmOS is pretty intuitive for everybody. I think PocketPC is pretty intuitive if you're comfortable with using Windows-based PCs, and of course those *nix geeks can figure out everything. ;)

But for those that use their computers but aren't comfortable with them (and I think this is actually a large number of people, probably none of which are here), learning to use a Palm is probably quicker and less confusing than learning to use a Pocket PC.

Janak Parekh
12-20-2002, 12:22 AM
learning to use a Palm is probably quicker and less confusing than learning to use a Pocket PC.
I don't know, this is debatable. My dad hates Graffiti. He is very comfortable with the Start metaphor on the PPC.

I think people find Palms easier because they've picked them up first, IMHO.

But we digress into a debate that's been had many times before ;)

--janak

TheBacklash
12-20-2002, 01:15 AM
I would think the Palm IS easier to use... There really isn't that much too it, Graffiti is a pain, but the rest is striaght forward and simple. I agree thoose used to Windows, will adapt much quicker to a PPC.
and it's also the general name everyone calls a PDA. It don't matter if it's a PocketPC or a Palm device... People remember Palm over Pocket PC. That and they are generaly cheaper.

I first had a Palm Pro, then moved up to the Casio EM-500, moved up to the Ipaq, and now the Dell. hands down the Dell is the best I've used so far.

I know Windows, the PocketPC was easy to adapt too. the Palm had a very small learning curve... I never did use Graffiti though. That I hated... and still do. When I seen handwritting Recognition built in to the PocketPC... I was more than impressed. was a week later that I picked one up.

Personaly, I couldn't go back to Palm for anything.... the Power of a PPC is too much to give up.

I have seen a Palm emmulator out there. you have to get the PalmOS loaded on your PPC, does not run constantly (or so I've read) so the alarms would be useless for the palm.
I have downloaded the software, but can't track down the PalmOS Rom yet... Probably never will.
I only want it to see that it can be done, that and rub my brother in laws nose in it. His office requires him to have a Palm, he really wants a PPC.

Bottom line: If you are used to Windows, you will pick it up fairly fast. If not, you can still learn it quick.

Fzara
12-20-2002, 01:16 AM
The reason why Palm OS is liked is becuase of the ease of use wihen dealing with files.
Also, things are simpler because of the quick, short, and simple menus programs and the OS give with Palm OS.
Using the PPC platform, my only complaint is that there is a lack of freeware which is actually usable.
Just my .02