View Full Version : iPAQ 1910 for $219.99

hvlien
12-19-2002, 07:14 PM
This week only, you can get a brand new iPAQ 1910 for only $219.99 at Staples. They're offering $50 instant savings on any Pocket PC pda which brings the price down to $249.99, and I was also able to use a $30 off $150 or more to bring the price down to $219.99. I've always been a Palm user, but I couldn't pass up the iPAQ at this price point. After using it since Sunday, I can see why some people prefer a PPC over a Palm pda. The only gripe I have is you have to manually close each program or do a soft reset every so often and the lack of free PPC programs/applets. Hope anyone who's been wanting to test out a Pocket PC or just want to see how well the iPAQ work takes advantage off this deal.

Janak Parekh
12-19-2002, 07:36 PM
hvlien, check out Spb's Pocket Plus regarding the closing problem. There's also free solutions like vBar and PocketNav.

Soft resets should be fairly rare unless you're using somewhat unstable software.

--janak

hvlien
12-19-2002, 07:42 PM
Janak, thanks for the suggestion. Pocket Plus does seem like a nice program. I'm gonna download and try it later. This is the 4th PDA that I've bought and used extensively. The other 3 were Palms (I still have my Treo 90), but I'm definately going to try a ton of apps for the PPC. Is pocketgear the best ppc software site out there, or does anyone know of a more extensive ppc-only site?

--Hung

hokie36
12-19-2002, 07:44 PM
Check out this link...

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66585&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Most people have been successful of getting the 1910 for $199.

HOLLYWOOD_
12-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Does Staples carry the ViewSonic? I assume one could get it at the same price ?

hvlien
12-19-2002, 07:56 PM
Hokie...the iPAQ for 199 is definately a great deal. I generally don't go around to sites like FatWallet, but I wish I had known about it now. Oh well, the $219 I paid for mine was still definately worth it. Although I do find the Palm OS easier to you, I do love the multimedia features on a PPC.

Hugh Nano
12-19-2002, 08:20 PM
The only gripe I have is you have to manually close each program or do a soft reset every so often and the lack of free PPC programs/applets.

Check out PocketPCSoft.net for a pretty exhaustive list of Pocket PC freeware (especially http://www.pocketpcsoft.net/php/freeware.php). There's actually quite a bit out there. Unfortunately, their freeware list has been clogged recently by commercial (still freeware, but mostly junk) submissions by PocketGear, but it's still an excellent resource.

Programmer
12-19-2002, 10:00 PM
I am trying to buy mine now. I am in Los Angeles and I am having trouble finding a store that has stock.

Even though I wanted more memory, SDIO and the chance for wifi I decided to give the 1910 a chance.

In a few months I'll upgrade again. $300 was a bit much but if I can get it for $200 that would be worth it.

Robert

wjsteele
12-19-2002, 10:35 PM
I just got a new 1910 for $199 thanks to you guys. The guy at Staples had a little trouble getting the instore $50 to work, but they went ahead and used a different model # AND gave me the $500 for $200 discount.

What a great deal.

Bill

Programmer
12-19-2002, 10:55 PM
I just got a new 1910 for $199 thanks to you guys. The guy at Staples had a little trouble getting the instore $50 to work, but they went ahead and used a different model # AND gave me the $500 for $200 discount.

What a great deal.

Bill

$500 for $200... Now that is what I CALL a DEAL. I think I would have bought the entire stock for that deal and still walked away with a ton of cash. :lol:

Robert

wjsteele
12-19-2002, 11:13 PM
It even previewed correctly to my old eyes!

Bill

Programmer
12-20-2002, 01:59 AM
Hey I just got my ipaq 1910. $199.99 at my local Staples. :P I am one happy camper.

Man, is this thing small. I had someone drive me to staples because I have a motorcycle and I assumed the box was big -- it wasn't. You have to feel this PocketPC to understand how small it really is.

Now to go play. :beer:

Robert

Deslock
12-20-2002, 04:20 AM
After owning many handheld computers over the last 8 years (starting with an HP200lx, but only PalmOS devices since '96), I've finally "come to the dark side". The formfactor, $199 price, and vibrant screen made the HP1910 irresistable.

I've used many WinCE/PPCs for business stuff, but this is the first time I've owned one. So, first off, any suggestions for freeware apps and games?

Also, I bought it with Staples' $40 broken screen warranty, but I'm questioning whether or not that was a smart move... anyone have experience with the warranty? I can cancel the warranty within 14 days...

Janak Parekh
12-20-2002, 06:57 AM
After owning many handheld computers over the last 8 years (starting with an HP200lx, but only PalmOS devices since '96), I've finally "come to the dark side". The formfactor, $199 price, and vibrant screen made the HP1910 irresistable.
Congrats. I never thought I'd see you carrying a PPC. :D

As for links, there was a good link earlier in this thread. I'd also go to pocketpc.com and poke around; there's a bunch of freebies (and links to others) there as well.

--janak

Barbay1
12-20-2002, 03:27 PM
There is a good list in www.pocketpcmag.com (Click on "Best Sites").

There's also www.pocketpccity.com

Deslock
12-20-2002, 04:19 PM
Thanks! I'd been to pocketpccity before, but not pocketpcmag or pocketpcsoft (and color me feeling sheepish for not catching the pocketpcsoft link earlier in the thread).

Pony99CA
12-21-2002, 01:40 AM
I've used many WinCE/PPCs for business stuff, but this is the first time I've owned one. So, first off, any suggestions for freeware apps and games?

Besides the previous recommendations, there's also Freeware PPC (http://www.freewareppc.com).

Steve

anifong
12-22-2002, 06:30 AM

Also, I bought it with Staples' $40 broken screen warranty, but I'm questioning whether or not that was a smart move... anyone have experience with the warranty? I can cancel the warranty within 14 days...

I bought the warranty from Staples with my 3765 - I wasn't sure it was worth it until I pulled the Ipaq from my coat pocket one day and found the screen shattered - my laptop bag had smashed it into either my cell phone or pager on my belt. The warranty comes with one screen replacement and paid for itself.

However, I was disappointed with the company who did the repair - I believe it was Austin Digital Remarketing. It took several weeks to complete, due to backordered parts, which is understandable. However, once I got my unit back I found that the case was mine but the system board was that of a 3365! The serial number in the asset viewer did not match the serial number on the case. When I called them back the guy I talked to suggested I take it to Staples to have them "reload" the proper OS! I finally talked to someone with more of a clue, and did get it sorted out, with the proper system board. A bit of an ordeal, but I still feel it was worth it.

Deus
12-23-2002, 09:12 PM
bought one for $200 as a present. nice price
just need to print out the receipt and bring it in to staples for the additional $50 off.

Sparkomatic
12-26-2002, 05:42 PM
Anyone in Orange County, CA get in on this deal? I tried calling four Staples and all but one said they don't carry the 1910. The one that did say they were out of stock said that no Staples would offer $50 off on it for at least another 6-8 weeks cause it's so new. :cry: