View Full Version : Help with GPS

Townshend
12-19-2002, 09:56 AM
I am a newbie when it comes to pocket pcs. I have been eyeing the HP 5455 for a while now, and I have decided I will buy it (all problems aside..since that can be later fixed by a update via HP, correct?). Anyway, I was looking into getting a CompactFlash GPS card for the 5455, but am unsure as what to get, especially since I saw at least one that is incompatable with thr 54xx series. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, thank you!

eustts
12-19-2002, 06:18 PM
I would wait to make sure that the GPS in which you are going to buy has been verified by the manufacturer of the GPS to work with the new 545x series.

To kill the time waiting you can do tons of research on which is the best model of GPS to get. :D

jt3
12-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Just my two cents, but I'd recommend the Navman 3420. It's the same sleeve that Travroute uses for their Pocket CoPilot (Travroute gets them from Navman), with one crucial exception. Travroute modifies theirs so that they're only compatible with their Pocket CoPilot software, while Navman keeps theirs universally compatible. That means that you can use any GPS aware mapping software you wish. However, the mapping software that comes with it is the same that's used in most in-dash automotive Navigation Systems, and I like it MUCH better than Pocket CoPilot. Oh yeah... it's cheaper too.

Anyhoo... I've tested the Navman sleeve and software with my 5455, and it works like a dream. In case anyone is wondering where they can get more information on the Navman unit, here's a link (http://www.navmanusa.com/land/gps3420/index.html). By the way, I'm not associated with Navman in any way, nor do I receive any sort of kickback or commission if you should buy one. I'm just a happy customer, who spent a lot of time researching the various GPS solutions for my "old" iPAQ 3870.

sting0r
12-26-2002, 01:20 PM
Beware the old NAVMAN sleeve does not work with the 5450. There is a driver update that is needed. The only two GPS's that work flawlessly with the IPAQ is the brand new Travroute sleeve, it isn't the same one as the Navman anymore and the Bluetooth GPS from Socket/Emtac.

chrisbond
12-30-2002, 07:06 PM
About a year ago I bought a little GPS unit from the Rand McNally website. I believe the one I purchased has since been discontinued, but I just saw one very similar to it (didn't have a "Rand McNally" logo) at Radio Shack.

Basically, as a stand-alone unit, it's worthless due to the lack of a screen. It's just a gps receiver and crappy antennae in a black plastic case the size of a butter dish. But hey, for only $89 it's a perfectly acceptable IPAQ GPS solution!

Be careful, though - there are two models. One is a USB device, and won't work unless you have a USB Host, which the Ipaq of course doesn't. the other breaks out into two cables - a simple DB9 serial connection and a PS2 (6-pin DIN) connector for power.

I put the box in the back of my car, bought a second cradle and chopped off the silver part in the back, then mounted it to my dashboard. I ran the serial cable behind my dash and under the seat to hook up with the GPS (Note that a NULL Modem adapter is required). Finally, I got a 5-Volt cigarette lighter adapter and soldered a 6-pin din receptacle to the end (look up pins on the Web - you just need power and ground). Plug that into the PS2 cable from the GPS and voila! Pocket streets will find a GPS on COM1!

Quite a bit of work, but from what I've seen the other GPS solutions are a lot more expensive. Until the CF-based cards come down in price, it's what I'd recommend.