View Full Version : PocketPC 2002 Premium?

TheBacklash
12-18-2002, 11:58 PM
Ok, I just got my dell axim about 2 hours ago, 2 hours left on the charge! the wait is killing me...

Anyway... On Dell's website, and on the CD that shipped with the Axim it says the axim runs "pocket PC 2002 Premium"
I must have missed something here... what is the Premium? I went to MS site and I can't find anything that refers to premium... I read in a review that Dell is the only one with the Premium OS, But what is the premium mean? whats new? Is it something Dell created and MS is allowing them to sell it as "Premium"? :?:

daninnj
12-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Premium means that it has all the features of Pocket PC 2002. It comes with all Pocket PC 2002s.

There is another version...Professional...this was the version upgraded iPAQ 36xx used to change from PPC 2000 to PPC 2002. The Professional version doesn't have spell checker in Word and you have to install some apps (WMP, the new reader, I think) into the RAM.

DanInNJ

smittyofdhs
12-19-2002, 12:03 AM
Ok, I just got my dell axim about 2 hours ago, 2 hours left on the charge! the wait is killing me...

Anyway... On Dell's website, and on the CD that shipped with the Axim it says the axim runs "pocket PC 2002 Premium"
I must have missed something here... what is the Premium? I went to MS site and I can't find anything that refers to premium... I read in a review that Dell is the only one with the Premium OS, But what is the premium mean? whats new? Is it something Dell created and MS is allowing them to sell it as "Premium"? :?:

no this goes back to the Ipaq upgrades. PocketPC 2002 OS (standard?) is an upgrade to flash ROM. PocketPC 2002 OS Premium is the OS that's preinstalled on your device in ROM. So say, MS comes out with PPC2003 OS next year and you flash your Dell with the upgrade...the upgrade would be considered PPC2003 Standard. Does that make sense?

TheBacklash
12-19-2002, 12:07 AM
Got it.

VidGameKing
12-19-2002, 04:09 AM
no dont got it, what if I wanted to get the PPC2003 premium with al the programs. I dont want i t to be limited, unless, they only one version of PPC2003 then it would make sense, but why say standard at all then? just call it PPC2003!

Roosterman
12-19-2002, 04:26 AM
Premium indicates that MS removed Outlook 2002 and replaced it with Outlook 2000 :roll: .

VidGameKing
12-19-2002, 04:55 AM
GREAT!!!! premium has outlook 2000 while pro has 2002!!!! crud now I want pro!!!!!! I'm too confused!

Janak Parekh
12-19-2002, 07:54 AM
Premium indicates that MS removed Outlook 2002 and replaced it with Outlook 2000 :roll: .
Are you being humorous? I'm pretty sure Premium vs. Professional only refers to the packaging of the applications in ROM. Premium is the 28MB image, Professional is the 16MB image. Professional-based devices ship with an accessory CD that contains WMP, MS Reader, MSN Messenger, etc.

Additionally, I believe MS is moving towards bundling O2k for all PPC's.

BTW, regarding PPC 2003 upgrades, we have no firm news, so I wouldn't even guarantee "Premium" vs. "Professional" tags.

--janak

smittyofdhs
12-19-2002, 05:33 PM
no dont got it, what if I wanted to get the PPC2003 premium with al the programs. I dont want i t to be limited, unless, they only one version of PPC2003 then it would make sense, but why say standard at all then? just call it PPC2003!

That's why I put standard with a "?" after it. I believe there's another term for it but basically that would be the gist of it.

Based upon past history (ipaq upgrades) you cannot get the premium as an upgrade. It's really just a naming convention so that developers and OEMs can tell the difference between a preinstalled version and an upgraded, flashed version.
If you were around when the Ipaq upgrades came out for PPC2002 then this would be more clear. New Ipaq 3800 series devices came with PPC2002 installed (premium version) and it came with all the goodies, msn im, WMP 8, & terminal client. When it came time for the PPC2002 upgrade (standard version) for Ipaq 3600/3700 devices came out, it was just the core apps, no MSN im, WMP 8, nor terminal services. If you go to MS site for mobile downloads you'll see these 3 apps for download for the older devices, they were not included....hence the 2 different versions of PPC2002 OS

smittyofdhs
12-19-2002, 05:36 PM
BTW, regarding PPC 2003 upgrades, we have no firm news, so I wouldn't even guarantee "Premium" vs. "Professional" tags.

--janak

the reference to ppc2003 that I made was just an example to explain the difference about prem. and pro. editions. At the time I really didn't want to go into history and have to fully explain about the upgrades for the 3600/3700 and why they were different then the preinstalled. But as it turns out I still ended up doing that in today's previous post.

Janak Parekh
12-19-2002, 07:45 PM
Based upon past history (ipaq upgrades) you cannot get the premium as an upgrade.
It's too early to extrapolate, though. The 3600 series units only had 16MB of ROM (as a common denominator), so they couldn't offer the 28MB image. Now if the next PPC OS is < 48MB, Compaq could offer the full upgrade to all 3970 and 5450 users.

We'll see.. :)

--janak

Roosterman
12-20-2002, 12:36 AM
Are you being humorous? I'm pretty sure Premium vs. Professional only refers to the packaging of the applications in ROM. Premium is the 28MB image, Professional is the 16MB image. Professional-based devices ship with an accessory CD that contains WMP, MS Reader, MSN Messenger, etc.

Additionally, I believe MS is moving towards bundling O2k for all PPC's.

--janak

It was a bad attempt at humor and commentary on MS :oops: . The OS is PPC 2002 yet it comes with outlook 2000. And I thought PPC previously came with outlook 2002. May be wrong on that and I apoligize if some took it the wrong way.

shawnc
12-20-2002, 02:45 AM
Bear with me on what many will think to be a very elementary question. I have an ipaq 3650 that I upgraded to PPC2002 a while ago. My Axim just arrived (WooHooo! though my wife won't let me play with it until xmas :evil: ). My understanding from following these post is that this comes with Outlook 2000 (vs Outlook 2002 on the ipaq upgrade).

Two questions, how can I tell what version of Outlook I currently have loaded on my deskktop? I tried going into properties in the icon but that doesn't show the version.

2nd question, IF I currently have 2002, do I have to replace it with the Outlook express loaded on the Dell cd to work with the Axim or can I use OL 2002 even though it was loaded from the ipaq upgrade cd?

Thanx for any help.

blazingwolf
12-20-2002, 03:46 AM
how can I tell what version of Outlook I currently have loaded on my deskktop? I tried going into properties in the icon but that doesn't show the version.

Open Outlook and then goto the help tab and click on it. Then click on the about tab. This will tell you what version you are using. I'm not sure about your second question.

Kati Compton
12-20-2002, 03:51 AM
2nd question, IF I currently have 2002, do I have to replace it with the Outlook express loaded on the Dell cd to work with the Axim or can I use OL 2002 even though it was loaded from the ipaq upgrade cd?

When I saw that the version on the Dell CD was Outlook 2000, I got out my OfficeXP CD and installed Outlook 2002 off of that so I would have the most up-to-date version. It's worked fine as far as I can tell.

Outlook & Outlook Express I are slightly different, BTW. I think Outlook Express is just the email/newsreader functionality of Outlook. The Dell CD contains full Outlook (as does MS Office), but regular Windows I think only comes with Express...

Hope I didn't confuse you further...

Janak Parekh
12-20-2002, 06:37 AM
When I saw that the version on the Dell CD was Outlook 2000, I got out my OfficeXP CD and installed Outlook 2002 off of that so I would have the most up-to-date version. It's worked fine as far as I can tell.
Yes, it'll work fine. I've always used ActiveSync with Office XP/Outlook 2002. You do not have to install Outlook from the CD if you have either 2000 or 2002 already installed. I've never had to use the Outlook on the CD as I've always had an Office on my desktop.

Outlook & Outlook Express I are slightly different, BTW. I think Outlook Express is just the email/newsreader functionality of Outlook. The Dell CD contains full Outlook (as does MS Office), but regular Windows I think only comes with Express...
Outlook and Outlook Express are more than slightly different ;) They're actually completely, utterly different products that have virtually no overlap with the exception that both read mail. In fact, if you have been using Windows too long (like me), Outlook is a PIM with email capabilities. It was derived from the combination of Microsoft Mail and Schedule+ way back in '97. Outlook Express, OTOH, was derived from a program called "Microsoft Internet Mail and News", which was first introduced with Internet Explorer 3.0 in '96.

ActiveSync works with Outlook 2000 or 2002, but not Outlook Express. This application (http://www.syncdata.it/), among others, can bridge this limitation.

It was a bad attempt at humor and commentary on MS :oops:. The OS is PPC 2002 yet it comes with outlook 2000. And I thought PPC previously came with outlook 2002. May be wrong on that and I apoligize if some took it the wrong way.
Don't apologize, I wasn't insulted ;) PPC's did use to come with 2002, but (I believe) MS's Office division complained about the "free" software giveaway, and the Handhelds group was forced to bundle 2000, which MS doesn't sell anyway anymore. Really stupid in my opinion too, it's too ridiculous to be funny IMHO... In any case, it has nothing to do with the Professional vs. Premium bit.

--janak

Sslixtis
12-20-2002, 07:58 AM
Janak ParekhPPC's did use to come with 2002, but (I believe) MS's Office division complained about the "free" software giveaway, and the Handhelds group was forced to bundle 2000, which MS doesn't sell anyway anymore. Really stupid in my opinion too, it's too ridiculous to be funny IMHO... In any case, it has nothing to do with the Professional vs. Premium bit.

--janak

Exactly! I thought I was going to have to type all that for a minute :wink:

They have a point as well, Outlook 2002 runs about $100 US for the stand alone version and MS is only charging OEMs around $9 US for the PPC OS. 8O

Janak Parekh
12-20-2002, 05:10 PM
They have a point as well, Outlook 2002 runs about $100 US for the stand alone version and MS is only charging OEMs around $9 US for the PPC OS. 8O
True, but there are intangible benefits to giving out 2002. Mass adoption, for one. It's in MS's interest to see Outlook adopted as much as possible, and 2002 gives a better user experience IMHO.

--janak

smittyofdhs
12-20-2002, 05:49 PM
They're actually completely, utterly different products that have virtually no overlap with the exception that both read mail.

one other note on this....Outlook uses Outlook Express as a NewsGroup Reader. If you have IE set to use Outlook as the default newsgroup reader, an app called MS Outlook Newsreader opens, but it's actually a scaled down of OE.