View Full Version : more questions...first time pda buyer

teamdidi
12-18-2002, 03:23 PM
ohk...i bought the dell axim 400 mhz one...and i got a few questions... so if i buy a SD or CF card...will i be able to transfer files like mp3s or such from my computer through the pda? or will i need to buy like a CF drive? and another question...will i be able to transfer mp3s from my computer to the pda's memory? and just play it with the pda's memory and not with any CF or SD card?
i heard the mp3 playback is sketchy... does it work on u'res?
thanks

GoldKey
12-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Yes you can transfer mp3's directly through the PDA. Just make sure they go in a folder called My Documents that is at the root level on the card. Personally, I prefer using a compact flash reader. I have found that the direct write performance is much quicker using the reader than transfering through the PDA.

Yes you can put them directly in PDA memory. Just remember, that space is somewhat limited, so you can't fit a whole lot there.

MP3 playback has been fine on mine (400 MHz). I even lowered the processor speed to 200 Mhz and did not have any problems.

Rirath
12-18-2002, 04:22 PM
It's fine, it's fine. (walks around for the rest of the day, repeating to anyone who will listen.)
Can we get some sort of sticky FAQ in here or something? Man that'd be nice.

TheBacklash
12-18-2002, 04:37 PM
it will work both ways.

My advice if your putting it on yor device, not a Card... (you can do it with the card also, I do) Rerecord, or just cut the sample rate down... you can fit a lot more mp3's/wma in the same space if you do.
Just personal choice I guess... But thats what I do. (most mp3 software recorders will allow you to cut the sampling rate)

If you need to know *how* to transfer:
When connected to your pc during activesync. (don't set auto disconnect when AS is done)
click on the explore button in AS. (now your looking at your PPC)
goto your storage card, or my docements on the device.
and copy/paste the mp3/wma you want.
Repeat until satisfied.

play mp3/wma on device for enjoyment. :D

I always put the mp3/wma in the "my documents" folder, I think you have too... I think at one time that was the only way to get the device to see them, but this could have been with an older version of CE or PPC 2000... could be different in PPC2002. I'm just used to doing it that way...

spursdude
12-19-2002, 01:02 AM
I always put the mp3/wma in the "my documents" folder, I think you have too... I think at one time that was the only way to get the device to see them, but this could have been with an older version of CE or PPC 2000... could be different in PPC2002. I'm just used to doing it that way...

Well, this isn't so in Pocket PC 2002. Basically, I have a My Documents folder on my storage card. Within that, My Music. Then within that, different subfolders based by artist. Windows Media Player recognizes it perfectly, and it then sorts the songs by artist as well.