View Full Version : iPAQ 54xx series

mike_346
12-18-2002, 11:52 AM
hey,
does any one know when the GSM/GPRS iPAQ from HP is coming out??

GQ19
12-18-2002, 07:03 PM
no set release date.. but if i was a betting man (and i am) i would bet they release a CDMA 1xRTT version in the US first as the coverage is much more extensive and actually in theory 1xRTT is faster than GSM GPRS.. so it might be a good thing and with Sprint's unlimited data plan, it might be better to get a 1xRTT version anyway.. hope it helps

JonnoB
12-18-2002, 07:15 PM
If HP can manage to still include WiFi and BT in the device, then despite the lack of an integrated CF slot, I may have to buy one anyway.

Priccijr
12-19-2002, 12:50 PM
If HP can manage to still include WiFi and BT in the device, then despite the lack of an integrated CF slot, I may have to buy one anyway.

As I understand it the GPRS model will not have WiFi in it.

JonnoB
12-19-2002, 05:35 PM

As I understand it the GPRS model will not have WiFi in it.

For me, that makes this a 'dead where it stands' solution to me. If it had a CF slot, I might still consider it. I want a PPC PE, but I NEED WiFi and memory expansion. Arrrrggh

Janak Parekh
12-19-2002, 07:51 PM
For me, that makes this a 'dead where it stands' solution to me. If it had a CF slot, I might still consider it. I want a PPC PE, but I NEED WiFi and memory expansion. Arrrrggh
Couple more years, Jonno, for you... :)

Sounds like you'll have to buy one "intermediate" device before you get your ultimate. I've done that for one generation already... the incremental improvements are actually worth it IMHO.

--janak

JonnoB
12-19-2002, 07:57 PM
Couple more years, Jonno, for you... :)

Sounds like you'll have to buy one "intermediate" device before you get your ultimate. I've done that for one generation already... the incremental improvements are actually worth it IMHO.

--janak

Don't get me wrong... I still buy Pocket PCs. We have 5 in use now (2002 OS devices) in our family and several older ones that have gone to others. I usually make a leap to new technology pretty quick. I have yet to get a phone edition - because with the exception of the phone part itself, these devies are otherwise always a step back in the area of PDA functionality.

I am not sure it is going to take a few more years - I am hoping that someone will make this happen sometime in the next year.