View Full Version : End User Updates poll

marlof
12-18-2002, 06:00 PM
There are some reports by people who have applied an End User Update (EUU) where they ended up with a corrupted ROM. We'd like to know a little more about this, so please fill in this poll.<br /><br /><b>UPDATE:</b> There were some questions, so I'll give some further info. We want to know if the EUU procedure works better after soft or hard resetting your device before applying the update. And yes, a corrupt ROM means that your device won't work. If weird things happen that you are sure of you can pinpoint to the EUU, that's corrupt too, but please give an exact description in the thread what happened. We're only interested in what happened to your device when you used the EUU that was meant for your device. When you apply EUU updates from one OEM on a device from another OEM, you're on your own. There are too many other factors at play then that could influence your setup and cause the corruption.

Jimmy Dodd
12-18-2002, 06:17 PM
Maybe you should define "corrupted" a little more clearly. Are you meaning "corrupted to the point the device doesn't work" or "weird things seem to happen." The latter may be a little hard to pin down on the EUU, of course.

JonnoB
12-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Another survey question to ask is whether people used the manufacturer update or just used what was available. Twice now I have used the updates from other manufacturers and both times without problems.

Ed Hansberry
12-18-2002, 06:29 PM
Waitaminute. I didn't see an option for what I did.

I applied an EUU1 update over an EUU2 device from a different manufacturer while using a third party battery pack to keep power to the device, swapped CF cards during the update all the while rolling the dpad around to convey positive energy and good vibes.

Can you ad that option to the poll?

snayar
12-18-2002, 06:29 PM
Same thing here as JonnoB, I have updated my HP 568 with the iPAQ's EUU3 and everything went just fine after a 14 minute wait.

Happy Holidays,
Sergio

JonnoB
12-18-2002, 06:33 PM
Same thing here as JonnoB, I have updated my HP 568 with the iPAQ's EUU3 and everything went just fine after a 14 minute wait.

yep, in my scenario - I also have a 568. HP has already begun exhibiting how well it cares about its customer with timely updates.... :x

jpaq
12-18-2002, 06:40 PM

I applied an EUU1 update over an EUU2 device from a different manufacturer while using a third party battery pack to keep power to the device, swapped CF cards during the update all the while rolling the dpad around to convey positive energy and good vibes.

Yeah!
I did that too!!!

jpaq
12-18-2002, 06:41 PM
By the way.
Where the he#$ is the Maestro update?

brianchris
12-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Since the (now old) ROM update for the iPaq 3800 series (ROM 1.20) required a hard reset, I put it way off.......until last week :wink:

Anyway, it worked out good for me, because I hard reset, preformed the ROM update (which hard reset my device for me again....now I know), soft reset, and then immediately put on EUU3 on a clean system (no other software or previous EUU's installed). I knew there would be a benefit from waiting to do the ROM update, and there was (for me at least).

Anyway, I'm not asking for what I specifically did to be added to the poll (Ed :wink: ), but I think it fit best into "No, but I did hard reset my device before applying the EUU," so that's how I voted.

-Brian

JonnoB
12-18-2002, 06:46 PM
By the way.
Where the he#$ is the Maestro update?

I successfully used the iPaq EUU3 update on my wife's Maestro. Others have reported success as well.... but the risk is yours to take!

Jimmy Dodd
12-18-2002, 06:48 PM

I hope you were rolling the D-Pad clockwise. I read there's a bug if you do it counter-clockwise. Someting about installing Palm OS 5 instead or something like that. I can't remember where I read it, though.

vincentsiaw
12-18-2002, 07:01 PM
wow euu is now seems so scary, might corrupt my device rom, what a waste....

dunneldeen
12-18-2002, 07:09 PM
wow euu is now seems so scary, might corrupt my device rom, what a waste....

Very concerning that 20% of the people polled so far have corrupted ROM's. Sounds like a real problem. I think this or another poll should ask the question of device manufacturer. I'm curious if one manufacturer is having more problems than others, of if it is the same across all manufacturers that have supplied the updates.

Newsboy
12-18-2002, 08:13 PM
I voted "Yes, and I did not reset my device before applying the EUU."

I flashed the EUU1 on my Audiovox Maestro about four months ago (have had it for six months), and all kinds of odd things have happened since, getting worse and worse. These anomolies included missing icons in the Audiovox launcher application, broken links in the launcher, the word "calculator" was spelled wrong in the launcher's list of running programs, and occasionally the system would hang for a second or two before completing a button press or on-screen selection.

In the past two weeks however, the system hangs would last a minute or longer, or not resolve themselves at all. The device would turn the backlight off after the preset interval for battery power, even when IN the cradle. Then a few days ago it would start syncing, and shut down in the middle of syncing. As if it were shutting down per the battery presets even when on AC power. Last night I did a hard reset, lost everything, but the all of the problems have resolved themselves now that I am back to the original ROM.

Wary of installing the EUU again! And where is EUU3 for the Maestro?

Pony99CA
12-18-2002, 08:13 PM
I voted "No, but I soft reset my device" just to be safe. However, I don't really remember if I did a soft reset for each of the three EUUs for Pocket PC 2002. If you're asking about a specific EUU, you should probably update the poll (again :-)).

The only one I really remember much about was EUU2. As that came out roughly the same time as the iPAQ 3870 ROM upgrade, which required a hard reset, I did the ROM update first, then the EUU2 update.

For EUU3, I don't remember if I did a soft reset or not, but I know that I didn't do a hard reset. Based on comments I read in the HP EUU3 thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4986), I did copy all of my files out of the iPAQ File Store before doing the update. (I won't suggest emptying the File Store as another poll option, Ed. :-))

The important thing, to me, is that all of the updates applied and worked without problems.

Steve

marlof
12-18-2002, 08:14 PM
No, this is not about a specific EUU. Just if you *ever* had a EUU mess up your ROM.

MooseMaster
12-18-2002, 08:24 PM
oop! I clicked "Yes" when I meant to vote No, my rom wasn't corrupt. no reset

sponge
12-18-2002, 11:25 PM
I installed over 5 EUUs (2 devices, a couple sent back for screen cracks, etc) and not a single solitary problem yet. Without even a soft reset (on the iPaqs it does that anyway, and doesn't load WinCE)

cessquill
12-19-2002, 10:47 AM
EUU3 seemed to go on OK to a 3870, but iTask seems to need a soft reset quite often now, which defeats the object. Did a softie I think.