View Full Version : XDA - Hands-Free Kits

gareth
12-17-2002, 01:37 PM
I've just started using my XDA with it's original personal hands-free, and I hate it :twisted:

There are too many wires, which just get tangled up, and you have to hold the microphone close to your mouth to get it to work (or shout, and attract stares) which kind of defeats the object.

I need to be able to talk in the car, and I know the XDA has a speakerphone, but let's be honest - it's pointless at speed.

So, on to the point: I'm thinking of getting one of those bluetooth headsets for non-bluetooth phones, but I heard on the news the other day that the UK government is going to make everything but a proper fitted car kit illegal to use whilst driving.

Does anyone know of a "proper" car kit for the XDA?

Monty Gibson
12-17-2002, 02:46 PM
I've just started using my XDA with it's original personal hands-free, and I hate it :twisted:

There are too many wires, which just get tangled up, and you have to hold the microphone close to your mouth to get it to work (or shout, and attract stares) which kind of defeats the object.

I need to be able to talk in the car, and I know the XDA has a speakerphone, but let's be honest - it's pointless at speed.

So, on to the point: I'm thinking of getting one of those bluetooth headsets for non-bluetooth phones, but I heard on the news the other day that the UK government is going to make everything but a proper fitted car kit illegal to use whilst driving.

Does anyone know of a "proper" car kit for the XDA?

Not living in the U.K. I wouldn't know what they meant by "proper." However, if you drive a Volkswagen which I hear are very popular throughout Europe, then you can go to the link below to have it fitted for your car. I have one in mine and it works flawlessly. I have the Passat but I see that there are several attachments for the Jetta, Cabrio, etc. Here's that link: http://drivergear.vw.com/store/accessory.asp?parent%5Fcategory%5Fid=12&category%5Fid=48&subcategory%5Fid=210&product%5Fid=2291

As far as other accessories to mount the device there are these options as well:

1.) http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=CM625&asource=XDA_24_CONNECTION. This would probably be the one I'd purchase since it actually connects to a bolt under your seat (actually connects to your seat and to the car itself; not a stupid suction cup that will fall off after hitting a good solid bump) and has a flexible arm that I understand is pretty stiff.

I understand too that there is one at a department store in the U.K. (?) called "Harold's?" I don't know the exact name at the moment. But I've seen someone post a silver type of device similar to that in the link above you may want to try.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

gareth
12-17-2002, 03:06 PM
Thanks - I'm hoping to get a Passat next year if the bean-counters will allow it - I'm not holding my breath though!

A "proper" car kit would probably contain the following components:

Cradle/holder for device
External Speaker (mounted in a footwell)
Microphone
Some sort of switching device to eliminate feedback and to turn the stereo off
Power source so that you can charge the phone

All wired in by the pros and hidden up tastefully.

Here's a link to a Nokia one (http://www.nokia.com/cda2/0,4268,2144,00.html) for a phone I used to have.

I remember seeing the Halfords (good guess, by the way) one in a previous thread (is that the correct term?), but I couldn't find it again.

I think I got bored scanning all the topics :lol:

Does the VW one have the same kind of components that I listed above?

Cheers

Gareth

Monty Gibson
12-17-2002, 03:24 PM
Thanks - I'm hoping to get a Passat next year if the bean-counters will allow it - I'm not holding my breath though!

A "proper" car kit would probably contain the following components:

Cradle/holder for device
External Speaker (mounted in a footwell)
Microphone
Some sort of switching device to eliminate feedback and to turn the stereo off
Power source so that you can charge the phone

All wired in by the pros and hidden up tastefully.

Here's a link to a Nokia one (http://www.nokia.com/cda2/0,4268,2144,00.html) for a phone I used to have.

I remember seeing the Halfords (good guess, by the way) one in a previous thread (is that the correct term?), but I couldn't find it again.

I think I got bored scanning all the topics :lol:

Does the VW one have the same kind of components that I listed above?

Cheers

Gareth

Ah, I understand now. No, unfortunately it won't fit the PPCPE, but here is the link anyway:

http://drivergear.vw.com/store/accessory.asp?parent%5Fcategory%5Fid=12&category%5Fid=48&subcategory%5Fid=210&product%5Fid=2488

I am actually waiting for the VW Phaeton to arrive in the U.S. and it should be getting close to unveil there in Europe soon so keep your eye's out for it if enjoy VW automobiles here is what it looks like: http://www.vw.com/NASApp/newmodellaunch/phaeton/index.jsp. It beats the hell out of the BMW AND the Mercedes I used have! They're horrible compared to this automobile! Anyway, back on topic :lol:. I haven't seen one for the XDA/T-mobile phone yet, but I am sure that it's in the works somewhere.

You could maybe just purchase the mount and use the hands-free Jabra headset? Would this pass standards? There wouldn't be any wires. All you would have to do is loosen a bolt on your passenger side seat and bolt the mount down. Place the PPCPE in its holder and use it wirelessly. This makes sense to me that this would be a better option. But; you know governments, :roll:

Take care,
Monty Gibson

P.S.- Thank you for the correction on "Harold's" to "Halford's" :)

M.

gareth
12-17-2002, 03:38 PM
You could maybe just purchase the mount and use the hands-free Jabra headset? Would this pass standards? There wouldn't be any wires. All you would have to do is loosen a bolt on your passenger side seat and bolt the mount down. Place the PPCPE in its holder and use it wirelessly. This makes sense to me that this would be a better option. But; you know governments, :roll:

Take care,
Monty Gibson

M.

That sounds like a reasonable plan to me!

I see from your posting in the "camera" thread that you've got one of those headsets - will they also work with a Bluetooth unit if you "lose" the adaptor? Makes it a better investment when I upgrade :D

And you're welcome for the correction - if you ever find yourself in the UK and need to buy car accessories, you know where to go!

Monty Gibson
12-17-2002, 04:15 PM

Take care,
Monty Gibson

M.

That sounds like a reasonable plan to me!

I see from your posting in the "camera" thread that you've got one of those headsets - will they also work with a Bluetooth unit if you "lose" the adaptor? Makes it a better investment when I upgrade :D

And you're welcome for the correction - if you ever find yourself in the UK and need to buy car accessories, you know where to go!

Yes, I'll stroll over to UK one day and do some shopping :-).

You know; I don't know, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The adapter plugs into the phone; of course, and then the actual headset is fed to the adapter thus to the phone. The adapter is what makes the Jabra headphone work and become "bluetooth enabled;" now, whether or not it's just specific for the headset, I don't know. If not, then the headset will work with a future PPC upgrade (possibly). You may want to contact them and ask. It's a good question; one that I don't think I should be giving advice on since I don't have another bluetooth item to test it with :(. Sorry about that.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

gareth
12-17-2002, 04:33 PM
When I use the standard hands free with my XDA, I lose the ability to use the phone's speaker so that I can only hear it ring if I have an earpiece in.

Does the same happen with your headset?

I assume that this is jsut one of those annoyances which people with proper phones don't have to put up with?

Monty Gibson
12-17-2002, 04:38 PM
When I use the standard hands free with my XDA, I lose the ability to use the phone's speaker so that I can only hear it ring if I have an earpiece in.

Does the same happen with your headset?

I assume that this is jsut one of those annoyances which people with proper phones don't have to put up with?

Yes, unfortunately, I can only hear it through the headphone. However, don't worry because the Jabra headset has earpieces that seem to mold to your exact ear canal so everything is crystal clear. It came with 4 different types of ear "buds" so that you can try them to see which one fits your ear best.

Take care,
Monty Gibson