View Full Version : Japanese translation software

smapdi636
12-16-2002, 02:43 PM
Should have 400mhz Axim around Christmas time.

I'm thinking of importing the Japanese version of the new Zelda game for the Cube. I don't want to wait 4 months for it's US release.

I was thinking some Japanese to English translation software might help me to understand the game. Anyone know of anything?

I will be on WiFi, so a web-based solution would also work.

One concern is how to enter the Japanese letters in to be translated? I've never had a Pocket PC before - is this something that is part of the operating system?

Would this be a very clumsy (time-consuming) process? It looks like there is a lot of story (text to be translated) in the newest Zelda game. If the translation process is painfully slow, this would make for some frustrating gameplay I imagine.

wiley
12-19-2002, 05:55 AM
Hi, I live and work in Japan and would love to see more Japanese support utilities, but the only one that I've found that does a reasonable job of displaying Japanese on an English version of CE is CE Star.

Unfortunately CE Star is made more for Chinese and Japanese support was added almost as an afterthought. It's been more than a year I'm sure since I last visited their website, but they have an English page which is generally intelligible.

You don't need to buy the software to be able to display Japanese, but you do if you want to use their input editor. I personally have never gotten the thing to work for me so I just use it to display text and do all of my Japanese input from my desktop.

I have never seen anything that even approaches "translation" though. I'm really just biding my time until CE .NET is released because Microsoft will finally have downloadable language packs for CE like they have for Windows. Hope this helps.

Fishie
12-19-2002, 06:19 AM
Zelda the Windwaker uses Furigana, wich is simplified Japanese.
You should be able to figure things out with a Japanese to English dictionary.
I suggest you dont tough, if you wanna fully enjoy the game wait for a translation so you actually know whats goin on.
Or check http://www.gamefaqs.com to see if someone posts explanations.

Rirath
12-19-2002, 07:19 AM
Try out JWPce. It's free. It doesn't translate, but it does have one killer kanji lookup system and japanese/english dictionary. Plus it's a full feature japanese wordprocessor for your ppc, with a desktop version to boot. Worth having, if you have any interest in japanese. http://www.physics.ucla.edu/%7Egrosenth/c_main.html

As for translation, my only guess would be to find an online site that can machine translate, like altavista.com

smapdi636
12-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was also pretty worried about ruining my game experience, so I've decided although I am importing it, my intention is only to poke around in the first area. Just something to hold me over until March.

I will have wifi for the Axim, so I guess for now I can try a translation site.

Thanks again.

Fishie
12-21-2002, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was also pretty worried about ruining my game experience, so I've decided although I am importing it, my intention is only to poke around in the first area. Just something to hold me over until March.

I will have wifi for the Axim, so I guess for now I can try a translation site.

Thanks again.

Its a nice enough game.
Thing is this game like most others is not a real Miyamoto project, the guy hasnt been involved to anny BIG degree with anny Nintendo game for years now, his duties lie in PR and managment.
Next time I meet Miyamoto ill have him sign some of his older games for me.

Travel
02-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Good english to japanese translator (http://www.yongsfy.com/japanese-translation.html) are key to your success.

kenny1
02-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the info. 8)