View Full Version : HELP: File share and ActiveSync over wireless

GadgetMan
12-15-2002, 06:00 PM
I have Linksys BEFW11S4 ver. 2 Wireless Access Point Router with 4-Port Switch. My desktop PC running Windows XP Pro with SP 1 is attached to it via cable. The router is attached to DSL modem for Internet access.

I also have WCF12 Wireless CompactFlash Card for my HP Jornada 568 Pocket PC.

In addition to having simultaneous high speed internet access from both my desktop and Pocket PC, I would like to be able to share files between the two (I have the latest Resco File Manager that includes network drive/share mapping), as well as be able to use ActiveSync over the wireless connection via Linksys router.

The Internet access part works great from both desktop and Pocket PC. However, I cannot make the two talk to each other. I cannot even ping my desktop (by NetBIOS name or IP address) from my Pocket PC (btw, I did run setup wizard to enable networking on my desktop PC).

Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Bearjaw
12-15-2002, 07:47 PM
I too am looking for a way to network my PPC with my other computers. I hope someone answers you. Jeff

Janak Parekh
12-15-2002, 09:03 PM
Hmm, they should be mutually pingable. What's the IPs and subnet masks on your laptop and on your desktop? Are you using vxUtil, BTW, to do your network debugging?

Once they're pinging, http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?id=3607 has a good set of instructions on setting up syncing. While it specifically mentions dial-up, the Pocket Hosts program listed there is also useful for LAN-based ActiveSync.

--janak

GadgetMan
12-15-2002, 10:23 PM
It turned out that my Norton Personal Firewall was blocking the traffic. As soon as I disabled it, I had no problem connecting to my desktop PC for file access.

I still cannot make it to ActiveSync, though.

I enabled ZoneAlarm (firewall) and anti-virus software built into the router and exempted my desktop, notebok and Pocket PC. I now have interconnectivity and Internet protection.

Thanx,

dkan24
12-19-2002, 12:41 AM
I just got my pocket pc today- the Dell Axim, and picked up the Netgear cf card. I am able to activesync wirelessly with the help of pocket hosts. I am also able to see shares on my other pcs.

It would not let me enter the ip adresses in file explorer. So I entered the name of the pc (which was not set up in pocket hosts) and it worked. I am able to see all my shared folders.

I would like to play mp3's over the network. It does not allow me to do this however. I am able to copy and paste them locally to the ppc, and then they will play. But I cannot just click on them and have them play.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

thanks,
Dan

bucho
12-19-2002, 01:37 AM
I would like to play mp3's over the network. It does not allow me to do this however. I am able to copy and paste them locally to the ppc, and then they will play. But I cannot just click on them and have them play.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

This is working for me using the withMP3 player... haven't tried WMP.

Brad Adrian
12-19-2002, 01:50 AM
I still cannot make it to ActiveSync, though.
You realize that you have to manually initiate ActiveSync in this kind of scenario, right?

dkan24
12-19-2002, 01:53 AM
I set it so I am always synced up. It has not lost the connection yet. Of course when I roam to different ap's I will have to manually sync.

What mp3 player is that? Do you have a link?

dkan24
12-19-2002, 03:43 AM
I downloaded pocket player and still nothing. I click once on the remote file and nothing happens. I can copy and paste it to the ppc, that is all. Any suggestions?