View Full Version : H3835 Troubles - Please Help

185driver
12-15-2002, 05:31 AM
My H3635 lasted just about 15 months before it broke, but thanks to an extended warranty I soon received an H3835 to replace it. Wow, what a difference! :D Even though I had already upgraded to PPC2002 some time ago on my H3635 I'm still impressed with the H3800 series.

But problems began almost right out of the box for me. As I began to reinstall some of my programs (programs identical to those run on my H3635 - which worked flawlessly) I noticed a couple of things:

1) TomeRaider is now sluggish in opening pages. Those of you who use TomeRaider know that its ability to open pages in even the most humoungous of documents is excellent, so this new development is most frustrating; and

2) Transcriber is acting very flaky. I use Transcriber almost exclusively with my iPAQ and find that on my new H3835 it sometimes will translate quickly while at other times take up to 15 seconds to translate even a word or two. Both iPAQs use version 1.5 of the program so I'm wondering what gives?

I find it odd that my H3635 was so dependable and quick even when laden down with almost no spare RAM left to maneuver with while this brand-spanking new H3835 (with tons of spare memory by comparison) struggles to keep up.

I have since downloaded and installed EUU3 from the Compaq website which no noticeable difference. ROM version is 1.20 from the factory.

One other problem that happens frequently (not once a day, but close) is that I will be in the middle of doing something on the iPAQ (usually memory intensive such as a PocketTV video or game with motion involved) when suddenly the iPAQ will freeze and then shutdown. Turning the power back on fixes the situation and the program resumes normally even though I do nothing else (no soft reset or anything). Battery level is charged so it isn't that either.

If anyone has had similar experiences with their H3800 Series iPAQs or if someone knows why these things are happening (or what can be done about them) I would most certainly appreciate some input from them. How bittersweet it is to receive such a fine unit from Compaq only to have it be more troublesome in operation than my old faithful H3635.

Doug

Pony99CA
12-15-2002, 08:32 AM
One other problem that happens frequently (not once a day, but close) is that I will be in the middle of doing something on the iPAQ (usually memory intensive such as a PocketTV video or game with motion involved) when suddenly the iPAQ will freeze and then shutdown. Turning the power back on fixes the situation and the program resumes normally even though I do nothing else (no soft reset or anything). Battery level is charged so it isn't that either.

Be thankful that it comes back with the program running. When I played Cubicle Chaos frequently, I'd occasionally have my iPAQ 3870 power off. Pressing the power button would not turn it back on, and I'd have to do a soft reset.

That was rather maddening when I had a good game going.

I'll still take my 3870 over my old 3650, though.

Steve