View Full Version : Contacts for email listed Last Name First

RonWilson
12-15-2002, 12:53 AM
Since I got immediate help on my last question from Butch, I thought I would try again one of those baffeling problems.

I want to show my email names on my PC as well as my iPAQ 3835 with last name first. I have tried using the Address book to display them properly but have had marginal luck. Is there a simple way to set this up?

Pony99CA
12-15-2002, 03:14 AM
I want to show my email names on my PC as well as my iPAQ 3835 with last name first. I have tried using the Address book to display them properly but have had marginal luck. Is there a simple way to set this up?
Isn't last name first the default?

Anyway, I assume you're using some variant of Outlook. I'm using Outlook 2002, so my instructions will be tailored to that. Your Outlook may work somewhat differently, but play around to find similar things.

1. Open Outlook on your desktop.
2. Click the Tools menu.
3. Click the Options... action.
3. Click the Contact Options... button.
4. In the Default "File As" Order drop-down list, select "Last, First".
5. Click OK.
6. Click OK.

Try synchronizing and see if that works. If it doesn't you'll have to do the following:

1. Open Outlook on your desktop.
2. Select Contacts.
3. For each contact that isn't filed correctly:
A. Double-click the contact.
B. In the File as drop-down list, select the format you'd like displayed.
C. Click the Save and Close button.

Synchronize again and everything should be fine.

Steve

RonWilson
12-15-2002, 03:24 AM
Steve:

Yes, the default storing in Outlook 2002 is Last Name, First Name. I've got that straight. The problem is not in how the contacts are shown but rather how the email address names are shown. When writing an e-mail I get a list of names that are alphabetized first name, last name.

Sorry I wasn't clearer on my original request. Hope you or someone else can help. Thanks,