View Full Version : What's up with those PDA type Cell Phones I've seen? Are they any good?

Vasant56
12-15-2002, 12:38 AM
I saw them for 49.99 and it looked like it had the same screen as the standard pocketPC as well as the same functions (on TV), how do these cheap cell-phones with gaming ability and stuff compare to a PocketPC? Are they only cheap because they have expensive monthly payments?

Thanks

spursdude
12-15-2002, 01:27 AM
what model specifically are you talking about?

there are some good pocket pc phones, i.e. the T-mobile or the XDA.

or maybe you've seen a smartphone?

knowing what model you are specifically talking about would help a lot.

bmhome1
12-15-2002, 01:59 AM
Just saw the heavily-advertised silver Motorola color screen cell in use, and while the tv ads show beautiful full-screen color photos, the real thing displays postage stamp-sized, pixelated low-res images. Don't dump your PDA yet.

spursdude
12-15-2002, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I've gotta agree in the fact that nearly all cell-phone screens are really bad - low resolution, few colors, extremely dimly lit.

serpico
12-15-2002, 02:49 AM
This is the middle ground before 3G comes and so these guys need to sell phones. Color is a great reason for most of us with B&G screens to upgrade, but I'll wait. The T68i is nice for the bluetooth feature to sync with my iBook but I know next year there will be some more impressive phones. Those Smartphones or PocketPC phones are like $1100 CDN up here! $49.99 US makes me want to drive all the way down to where ever you are and pick one up! Must be something else... I think. 8O

Vasant56
12-15-2002, 05:15 AM
I'm not too sure about the model numbers, but the phones in general.

BTW it was 49.99 and I am 90% sure it was a nokia

Janak Parekh
12-15-2002, 05:29 AM
I'm not too sure about the model numbers, but the phones in general.

BTW it was 49.99 and I am 90% sure it was a nokia
You really need to give more detail. There are very few Nokia phones that have color and work in North America; the 7210 is probably the closest one, and I don't think it's offered by any carrier yet (at least, in the US).

Can you tell us the carrier whose ad it was?

In any case, everyone else's post here is correct. You're talking ~ 100x100 screens, with minimal PDA capabilities. They're not full-featured Pocket PC's.

--janak

Vasant56
12-15-2002, 06:58 PM
I don't really know anything about them (sorry), I was just wondering how these Phone with "Gaming Possibilities" would compare to the Pocket PC's of today.

I'm sorry I don't know any more info, as the reason I am asking is to get some. ;)

spursdude
12-16-2002, 12:09 AM
Well, most of the games I've seen on cell phones are atrocious. They're starting to get better and somewhat more entertaining, but they're still on tiny screens, have bad graphics, and are difficult to control.

Until cell phones can run NES emulators, Snails, and Age of Empires, I'm sticking to my Pocket PC. :D