View Full Version : Buying my first PPC (WiFi/GPRS)

Fosten
12-14-2002, 09:44 AM
Hello everyone, first time poster, long time reader. (((Hi Fosten)))
I am looking into purchasing my first pocket pc this christmas, but have some questions that I keep coming back to. Thought if I posted on them, I might be able to get a little more direction from the experts. :-)

What PPC to buy?
I am looking for a PPC that I can use on my home wireless 802.11b network to AIM, Email, and Web Browse.
I am also looking for a PPC that I can also use as my main telephone and on-the-road data.

At first glance, for the telephony features, I figured that a PPC Phone Edition was the way to go, until I noticed that these devices do not come with a CF expansion slot. All the WiFi cards I've found are CF cards. Does that mean I won't be able to use it on my home network? Although I could just use say T-Mobile's data plan for my internet apps, I don't see the point in not using the broadband connection that I already pay $40/month for.

So then where do I turn to? Axim vs. IPAQ. These devices not only come complete with the CF expansion slots that I'm looking for, but also the prospect of integrated WiFi! But alas, no GPRS. I could get a GPRS telephony card, but know very little about what to buy and how well they actually work. And not to mention, I'd still have to use headphones.

Would you guys recommend I go with the T-Mobile or the Axim-or-IPAQ?

And am I hearing right, AIM for PPC cost $20 or $20/month or something? What kind of scam is that? I read somewhere that there is a Trillian for PPC, that's still free right?

Help, please.

Cortex
12-14-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi Fosten

I recently went through similar gyrations and ultimately bought the T-Mobile PPCPE for 299 through Amazon (and I recently noticed that CompUSA is offering the same deal + a digital camera!).

I dont think there is a CF phone card available in the US yet and the only Pocket PC phone is the T-Mobile/AT&T.

So if you really want to browse on WiFi you should look at the Axim (MY VOTE), Toshiba, Ipaq or other CF toting pocket PC. To my knowledge there are no WiFi SD cards available so you will need a CF slot.

I have a wireless network in my home and also use an ultralight Viao around the house for web browsing. Even still, I thought it would be fun to have my PPC connected as well and considered getting a Dell. After browsing the web with GPRS on my T-Mobile I decided WiFi on a pocket PC wouldn't be great. The screen is too small and many plugins arent supported. I recommend getting a used ultralight laptop for portable home WiFi -- you can get the older Sony's which have excellent utility and nice screens for about 700 on eBay.

Now, having internet access and a phone is a different story. You can read a post I recently placed on the PPCPE topic forums for my initial impression of the T-Mobile. Overall I think its a great deal for 299 and its really fun to be in a boring meeting, pull up MSN Messenger, and chat with friends/family, read Pocket PC Thoughts, or check my email.

I have had better phones though and I haven't gotten used to dialing with it quickly. Also the phone quality is less than my prior Sprint phone where I live, which is probably a coverage issue. If you have CompUSA near you I would recommend getting the T-Mobile from them (with the free camera if they offer this near you) so you can return it if the coverage isn't good.

As far as IM on the PPCPE goes, I'm using MSN Messenger. Yahoo! Messenger would have been great since you can quickly check your email as well as have access to news but for some reason they quit supporting it this summer and it no longer works :(

I've tried JabberCE but couldnt get it to connect and couldnt find Trillian for PPC. Haven't tried AIM though.

Hope this helps. Overall I'm happy with the T-Mobile so far.

PS: I'm going to stick my comments about the T-Mobile on my website if you want more info...

http://www.brainthoughts.com/ppcpe.html

Ron

Cortex
12-14-2002, 05:08 PM
A couple more comments about Sprint. I had been holding out for Sprint to release Samsungs i700 because Sprint has a better phone plan than T-Mobile, with unlimited nights and weekends AND people have said that the $10 extra Vision plan can provide UNLIMITED data for the Toshiba Thera and Handspring Treo.

2 problems though:
1. The rumors of the i700 have been around since this Summer and still no sign of it.
2. It will probably cost 2x the T-Mobile if and when if finally does arrive.

Cortex
12-14-2002, 05:28 PM
I forgot to mention that if you buy the T-Mobile 299 / year contract offer, the year contract is for phone service not data service. Which means you can change the data service or even end it, without penalty -- at least this is what the T-Mobile sales rep told me.

I also have found that I use very little data. I went with the 20 Mb for $35 (new rate) but will probably end up with 10 Mb for $20.