View Full Version : Russian stuff for a Pocket PC?

aerin44
12-14-2002, 04:19 AM
I am most likely going to be working in Moscow for the next several years. Does anyone have any reccomendation for software that will make living there easier?

None of the map programs seem to have a map of moscow.

I don't currently speak a word of Russian. Any reccomendation for a Russian/English dictionary.

Thanks for your help.

jizmo
12-14-2002, 01:03 PM
Here's something I've done:

You can get some basic language training kits for bargain price on tape or on CD. From there you can extract some few hundred essential phrases, repack them to, say, 22khz mono mp3's that take virtually no space at all.

That way you have the most needed phrases handy with your PPC and you can listen to the actual pronunciation before trying out them by yourself.

I don't have any map utility, but I've usually visited to the page of the city I'm going to visit, grab the map to photoshop, pack it a little and then view it with normal viewing utilities.

Have fun, but be careful with your PPC while travelling there. That place can be a real jungle, or so I've heard ..

/jizmo

Sheynk
12-15-2002, 01:50 AM
Ok, um......I dont really have any apps that may help but:
(I am a former resident of ukraine....all coments are completely serious)

*if you are pulled over for speeding, 5 bucks slipped with your driver identification is more than enough......but I doubt they will want to deal with someone who does not speak russian.

*Dont be surprised is a CD (with any content on it be it photoshop, clip art, game, music) cost about 2-5 bucks. Dont buy hardware unless you get a good warranty and the place you are buying it from is well established. (for example if you dont fillow my advise u can get a proccesor that is labled 2.8 but is actually a 2.0 or a overclocked proccesor.

*barter with people at the markets. (food that is). but not at the stores (duh)

*some key frases:

privet: informal hello

zdravstvuite: formal hellp

Podskazhite, pozhluista, katori chas: Proper way for asking time.

Dosvedania: formal bye

Poka: informal bye

I could go on and on. I advise getting a dictionary with idioms. If you need more of these P M me.

serpico
12-15-2002, 02:52 AM
Here's something I've done:

You can get some basic language training kits for bargain price on tape or on CD. From there you can extract some few hundred essential phrases, repack them to, say, 22khz mono mp3's that take virtually no space at all.

That way you have the most needed phrases handy with your PPC and you can listen to the actual pronunciation before trying out them by yourself.

/jizmo

Good idea, sure saves time reading. Be safe out there and enjoy.

aerin44
12-16-2002, 12:46 AM
I appreciate the help. I will continue to look for a map that I can use.