View Full Version : axim screen - bends...?

solus
12-14-2002, 12:44 AM
Just got my axim! YAY! The thing looks awesome! (charging though 8O )
anyways, I was touching the screen w/ the stylus and noticed that the screen gives in a bit..like you can push part of it in (wherever your stylus is) Is this normal in PPCs? Only Dell's? Is there a protective cover on it?...

thanks

spursdude
12-14-2002, 01:13 AM
Well, my Maestro screen doesn't necessarily bend, but it will give in just a little bit upon a tap. For example, if I'm looking at the reflection of something on the screen and tap it, the reflection of that image will be a bit distorted because the screen does move slightly.

Sslixtis
12-14-2002, 01:19 AM
This is normal with most touch screens, a certain amount of give allows the screen to resist permanent dents or cracks!! 8O

Cheers!

GoldKey
12-14-2002, 04:24 AM
I think most pda screens have a thin somewhat flexible plastic layer at the top. That serves to handle the touchscreen input. This differs from the Tablet PC standard which has an active digitizer (a magnetic transimiter thingy) in the the stylus. If you get to play with a tablet, you will notice that you don't have to physically touch the screen and the screens are actually solid glass (and from what I here, tougher than those on a PDA). Of course these styli are more expensive. The HP rep told me that the replacement for theirs costs $40-50.

Kati Compton
12-14-2002, 04:55 AM
I think most pda screens have a thin somewhat flexible plastic layer at the top. That serves to handle the touchscreen input. This differs from the Tablet PC standard which has an active digitizer (a magnetic transimiter thingy) in the the stylus. If you get to play with a tablet, you will notice that you don't have to physically touch the screen and the screens are actually solid glass (and from what I here, tougher than those on a PDA). Of course these styli are more expensive. The HP rep told me that the replacement for theirs costs $40-50.

Meaning you can't use the "fingernail stylus" that I like to use when I want to check something quickly and don't want to bother taking out the stylus...

Sslixtis
12-14-2002, 08:03 AM
kati42Meaning you can't use the "fingernail stylus" that I like to use when I want to check something quickly and don't want to bother taking out the stylus...

I'm sure they will eventually offer a "finger stylus" for the Tablet also, of course it will cost about $100 and only work on your pinky finger 8O

Kati Compton
12-14-2002, 09:09 AM
I'm sure they will eventually offer a "finger stylus" for the Tablet also, of course it will cost about $100 and only work on your pinky finger 8O

Yeah, but I prefer the built-in one I got for free. ;)

GoldKey
12-14-2002, 03:19 PM
Of course these styli are more expensive. The HP rep told me that the replacement for theirs costs $40-50.

I probably need to clarify this. From all the tablets I saw at the microsoft rollout, HP's was different in that the stylus was powered. I was told that they did this to conserve battery life in the unit because either the pen or the screen has to be powered. The battery in the pen has to be replaced about every 6 months. All the others work similar to a Wacom pad with a nonpowered pen.

VidGameKing
12-15-2002, 12:07 AM
Hello! it's the digitizer! the X/Y positioning device that can tell where your stylus touches the screen. it has two thin layers of plastic that have a semi conductive coating on the inner sides. the two peices of plastic are seperated by a little bit of space and the bottem peice is stationary against the glass of the screen, the the top peice is flexible to allow contact between the two.