View Full Version : Do you have a warranty on your PPC?

Job
12-13-2002, 10:23 PM
I was just curious how many people out there have warranties on the PPCs. I didn't have one on my old Sony (that I broke), and I did not get one on my new Dell Axim X5 (other than the manufacturer default warranty). Hope that doesn't come back to hurt me. Knock on wood.

spursdude
12-14-2002, 01:22 AM
My Maestro's warranty from CompUSA is really cool -

In the two years of my ownership, I can get one free replacement Maestro, in case I break it or something. At the end of those 2 years, I can put all of the money I spent on the Pocket PC (not on the warranty, mind you) towards a new Pocket PC - that means $300 off of my next Pocket PC, which today would mean a free Axim or Viewsonic :!:

The plan cost $99 or so, and it's worth it in my opinion.

blazingwolf
12-14-2002, 02:33 AM
Today I learned what a warranty is all about. My Ipaq 3635 was having problems with the touchscreen. I went to Best Buy where I bought my 3635 and a 3 year warranty. They replaced it with a brand new 3955. All at no charge. 8O You have to love that. :D

Kati Compton
12-14-2002, 03:32 AM
Are there any PPCs (other than off of eBay and the like) that do not come with a manufacturer's warranty?

Brad Adrian
12-14-2002, 03:43 AM
Are there any PPCs (other than off of eBay and the like) that do not come with a manufacturer's warranty?
I believe they all come with at least some form of warranty, although I'm not sure how much they vary.

GoldKey
12-14-2002, 04:08 AM
I just thinks the manufacturer warrantees are priced too high relative to the price of the PDA. Really, you need to do an expected value calculation to decide if purchasing the extended warrantee is a good idea. For example on the Dell, I figured the chance of it dying on me between the end of year 1 to year 3 was less than 10% (usually if electronics die on mee it is pretty soon after purchase). So, take the $99 cost of the extended warrantee and divide it by .1 (for the 10% chance) and I come out with an expected value of $990. That means if the PDA costs more than $990 then the extended warantee would be worthwhile. since it only cost $299, anything over $29 was really too much.

Remember manufacturers run these same type of calculation to come up with their prices. They figure how much on average it is going to cost them and then add a HEFTY profit. I have only found one extended warantee that seemed worthwhile based on price and that was a $29.99 warrantee on a digital camera from Best Buy. That one paid for itself tenfold as I have had two different exchanges from crappy Kodaks.

Job
12-14-2002, 06:04 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have always found warranties to be a rip-off and wondered how others felt about it.

Kati: Manufacturer's warranties only cover parts and labor, do they not? Therefore if someone were to say run into a table with their mobile device in their pocket, the manufacturer's warranty would not cover it. That is the difference between purchasing a warranty and the prerequisite warranties bundled with the PPC.

Sheynk
12-14-2002, 11:22 PM
I have the circuit city one and its not rip off. Free lcd replacement and if it breaks, I can get any other pda they have. I went from 38xx to clie t615c to my 3955 :twisted:

GoldKey
12-14-2002, 11:33 PM
I have the circuit city one and its not rip off. Free lcd replacement and if it breaks, I can get any other pda they have. I went from 38xx to clie t615c to my 3955 :twisted:

You had to use it, so of course you don't consider it a rip. I bet you would feel differently if you did not use it.

Roosterman
12-15-2002, 12:54 AM
Extended warrenties are simply insurance. If you buy one you are assuming that something will go wrong and they will then fix it. The ones offering the extended coverage know that the chance of something going wrong or more likely, the person remembering they have the extended coverage or able to find the info on it, is very small. This is a huge money making proposition for BB, CC, Dell and all. Remember, the only sure things in life are death and taxes. You know everyone will die, and then the government will tax the crap out of what they leave behind. :D