View Full Version : PPC (Dell Axim) and OS X ????

peterwor
12-13-2002, 10:07 PM
Sorry if this isn't the place but I'm a recent "switcher" to the new Mac OS X platform. I have a Dell PPC and want to know if there is anything out there that lets me sync with a Mac? I know a little about PocketMac but I'm wondering if there isn't something better out there.

TIA,
Peter

bdegroodt
12-13-2002, 11:22 PM
I've been searching for something beyond PocketMac for sometime (Maybe something from MS' Apple Business Unit.), but haven't seen a thing.

Have you looked at PocketMac recently? They just released a 10.2 capable version and it looks like there is much more support for files and programs.

bmhome1
12-14-2002, 04:36 AM
I use OS10.2.2 with VPC5.0.4 running Windows 98SE to sucessfully ActiveSync and Outlook data daily using USB on a G3 PowerBook 400mz for my iPaq 3835. I download .exe and .cab applications in OSX and access them using "shared folders" in VirtualPC without problems. Highly recommended.

There is an on-going discussion about this subject, with more hints, at the Pocket PC Passion user forum.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23219

peterwor
12-16-2002, 06:26 PM
You know what? I hadn't even thought about that one. I happen to have VPC 5.04 and WinXP Pro installed already. I guess I could go that route although it means trying to keep Outlook AND Entourage in sync which will be a struggle. Gee now I'll have my "work" laptop with Outlook, My PowerMac w/Entourage and VPC's Outlook all to keep in sync. Oh my if that doesn't sound like a headache... I guess I could do that, I was hoping for something a little more "native" that that.

Thanks,
Peter

bdegroodt
12-16-2002, 06:29 PM
What about Apple's iSync service? Is there anything out there that has been written to work with that service that could help you keep all of those files in sync without having to manually do it yourself?

bmhome1
12-17-2002, 01:23 AM
Unfortunately XP with VPC USB syncing connections isn't very reliable. The XP drive image looses the USB driver connection after saved states. I gave up trying to use XP (at least Hotsyncing Palm Windows) and switched to 98SE for syncing both Hotsync and Activesync PPC's via USB very consistently.

bdegroodt
12-19-2002, 08:05 PM
Well, here is a peak into some possible future plans from Apple and MSFT on sync with many types of devices-

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-978408.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed