View Full Version : End Of An Era - Computer Chronicles Final Show in December

Ed Hansberry
12-13-2002, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?Date=20021211&Category=APF&ArtNo=212111160&Ref=AR' target='_blank'>http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/p...12111160&Ref=AR</a><br /><br /></div>Many of you grew up watching "Computer Chronicles" on PBS here in the US or the public TV channel in your country. In its peak, it was shown in over 100 countries.<br /><br />"The show is the victim of tough times in the high-tech industry, said Stewart Cheifet, creator and host of the program. A companion show, "Net Cafe," also has ended its run. "It's a difficult economic climate," Cheifet said Wednesday. "Sponsoring a show on PBS isn't a No. 1 priority. When things get tight, (companies) look for places not to spend money."<br /><br />I suspect some of it was similar coverage by TechTV which has 10-12 hours a day on technology items. Sorry to see "Computer Chronicles" go. Perhaps Leo can convince the TechTV staff to replace Patrick with Stewart. :wink:

smapdi636
12-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Perhaps someone can convince TechTV to replace Leo with anyone. :P

KyleC
12-13-2002, 09:16 PM
Perhaps Leo can convince the TechTV staff to replace Patrick Stewart. :wink:
I've never heard of Computer Chronicals, but Patrick Stewart is an excellent actor, so why would anyone want to replace him with anyone?

Ed Hansberry
12-13-2002, 09:25 PM
I am having lots of fun changing the text I quote. Anyone else think it is funny? I have my glass of milk running out of my nose I am laughing so hard.

No, I don't think it is funny at all. My 5 year old might. I'll ask him when I get home.

aussie
12-13-2002, 09:55 PM
That is too bad, although even though I watched that show regularly many years ago I have not seen it for years. With the advent of the internet and its' "instant access to information" I don't need to get a weekly update on technology.

KyleC
12-13-2002, 09:56 PM
I've never heard of Computer Chronicals, but Patrick Stewart is an excellent actor, so why would anyone want to replace him with anyone?

I'm a loser with over 2000 posts who has nothing better to do than to post at this site 24/7.

Well, if you say so... :wink:

Tom Eichers
12-13-2002, 09:59 PM
Used to watch it, but lately this year its gone down hill.

PJE
12-13-2002, 10:04 PM
I'm a loser who is likely to get banned from this forum.

KyleC, Although you might find it funny, other people find it to be a pain in the a$$. Please stop...

Seasons Greetings.

PJE

As for Ed. I'm glad he can put so much of his time into this site.

rlobrecht
12-13-2002, 10:16 PM

KyleC, Although you might find it funny, other people find it to be a pain in the a$$. Please stop...

I was thinking the same thing. Too bad this isn't usenet, KlyeC would have just hit the global killfile.

Mr. Anonymous
12-13-2002, 10:21 PM
It's sad to see this show go. I remember watching it when I was a kid...sigh!

Pony99CA
12-14-2002, 09:37 AM
I suspect some of it was similar coverage by TechTV which has 10-12 hours a day on technology items. Sorry to see "Computer Chronicles" go. Perhaps Leo can convince the TechTV staff to replace Patrick with Stewart. :wink:
When I first heard about this, I was thinking maybe Tech TV could pick up the show. Both are based in San Francisco, so it would seem like a good fit.

As for replacing Patrick with Stewart, bite your fingers. Patrick is cool; Stewart is, well, not. Stewart is OK, but not funny at all, and "The Screen Savers" is about fun.

Steve

P.S. I think David Lawrence said that Stewart didn't like to be touched, so David shook his hand when introduced once. I'd say both people have some issues. :-)

Pony99CA
12-14-2002, 09:47 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Too bad this isn't usenet, KlyeC would have just hit the global killfile.
I didn't even notice that Ed's text was misquoted until Ed pointed it out. I do intentional misunderstandings for humor quite often (although I think it works better when speaking), so I thought the "Patrick Stewart" part was funny. However, intentionally misquoting is very poor form. Make it look like you misunderstood, not that the other person misspoke.

That said, I don't really think it's worthy of a banning someone. Everyone gets one mistake (unless the mistake is an egregious one). :idea: en up.

Steve

KyleC
12-14-2002, 04:02 PM
Thank you! I thought that it wasn't really something to get worked up about, but apparently some people take everything seriously. Anyway, I felt that the post almost belonged there, for as Trek fans know, Star Trek: Nemesis opened yesterday (the day I posted about Patrick Stewart). Anyway, I am hardly new at "making" people say things. Check out the first reply of this thread of a few days ago:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48277

Pony99CA
12-14-2002, 05:11 PM
Thank you! I thought that it wasn't really something to get worked up about, but apparently some people take everything seriously. Anyway, I felt that the post almost belonged there, for as Trek fans know, Star Trek: Nemesis opened yesterday (the day I posted about Patrick Stewart). Anyway, I am hardly new at "making" people say things. Check out the first reply of this thread of a few days ago:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=48277
Don't get me wrong -- I don't think misquoting is a good thing. That's why I said:

However, intentionally misquoting is very poor form.

But the misquote you made wasn't bad, in that you didn't make Ed say anything mean or stupid, so it wasn't worth the suggestions of banning or killfiling.

I still think you could have had the same effect by quoting him exactly and then intentionally misreading it. Watch:

Perhaps Leo can convince the TechTV staff to replace Patrick with Stewart. :wink:

Dyslexic me wondered why you'd want to replace an excellent actor like Patrick Stewart.

I think that has the same humor value without misquoting Ed. Whether anyone actually thinks either is funny is another matter. :-)

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread....

Steve