View Full Version : Active Sync Help Needed ASAP!

clarkth
12-12-2002, 06:07 AM
:evil:

I get the following message when I try and sync my iPaq 3835 to my laptop. I've had no problems for the last several months and now I can't sync anything! I've tried everything I can think of including hard reset, re-installing active sync (which works the first time, then the error. I don't want to have to install active sync each day!). Thanks!

Thomas

“There was no response from your mobile device while checking for out-of-date Appointments.

Disconnect your device and try again. If the problem persists, reset your device according to your manufacturer’s documentation and synchronize again.”

:evil:

Kirkaiya
12-12-2002, 06:40 AM
It's possible that one of your old (out of date) appointments is corrupt? Try going into your desktop Outlook, and (after dragging them to your desktop for backup), deleting the past 2 weeks of calendar/appointment items.

Then - right-click "Calendar" in the ActiveSync window, and choose "Settings". Set it to sync only the past 2 weeks, and 0 future weeks of appointments.

Then - and this is possibly unnecessary part that is annoying, but should resolve the PDA side: click "Explore" on the ActiveSync toolbar (still on your desktop), double-click "My Pocket PC" (or whatever you named it - the little PDA icon, first in list).

You should now see a folder called, "Databases". Delete the appointments database. Disconnect, then do a hard-reset on your PDA, connect, and sync. (and you can double-click each calendar .msg file on your desktop that you dragged there, and choose "save and close" to put it back).

Now... I would probably just try changing the settings to 2 weeks back, and 0 weeks forward, removing all the last 2 weeks of appointments from my desktop Outlook and syncing, before I took the more drastic route of deleting the appointments DB and hard-reset. On the other hand, if you're out of options, that *should* work (the Appointments DB will be recreated when you hard-reset, but you should drag a copy onto your desktop to back it up just in case).

You could also use one of the various Pocket Outlook Database viewers to manually look in, and delete items from, your appointments DB on your PDA.

Hope this works, or that you can solve your problem.

clarkth
12-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Kirk,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try it this weekend, but it is not just my appointments, but every information type. If I deselect the Calendar from syncing in Sync Options, I get the same error message with Contacts, then Tasks, etc. If all are unselected, there are no errors, but I could just connect as a Guest if I wanted to do that. Would all of the databases be corrupt? (even Access DB that I keep in sync?) I have a backup of my Outlook data from last week that I could restore. Thanks again for your help.

Thomas

Pony99CA
12-12-2002, 03:08 PM
I get the following message when I try and sync my iPaq 3835 to my laptop. I've had no problems for the last several months and now I can't sync anything! I've tried everything I can think of including hard reset, re-installing active sync (which works the first time, then the error. I don't want to have to install active sync each day!). Thanks!

“There was no response from your mobile device while checking for out-of-date Appointments.

Disconnect your device and try again. If the problem persists, reset your device according to your manufacturer’s documentation and synchronize again.”

Generally, if you expect remote troubleshooting, it's best to provide as much data as possible. For example, you didn't even mention what version of ActiveSync you were running, something that might be useful.

That said, do you have the Compaq Micro Keyboard? I seem to recall seeing this error if you had older versions of the Micro Keyboard driver enabled when you tried to sync.

Steve

clarkth
12-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Steve,

Sorry for the lack of information, I'm still pretty new at this. To try and provide more detail, I've tried using Active Sync 3.5 and 3.6 but get the same problem with both. I'm not using the Compaq Micro Keyboard, but have used a Stowaway keyboard in the past (but not recently). I only snyc with my laptop (Toshiba Tecra 8100) but have a guest partnership at work so I can keep updated with e-mail, stock market, etc. The only change from last week (when I could sync) to this week (when I can't) was that I was down in Norfolk VA this weekend and set up a new connection to dial in from there, but I've set the settings back to my home connection and dialing location so I don't think that is it. Any advice you have would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Thomas

Pony99CA
12-12-2002, 06:04 PM
I'm not using the Compaq Micro Keyboard, but have used a Stowaway keyboard in the past (but not recently).

Well, I don't know if it will help, but, if the Stowaway keyboard driver is installed, make sure it is disabled when you sync. Uncheck both "Enable Keyboard" and "Hot-Dock", then try syncing; it could be hogging the serial port.

Steve

clarkth
12-14-2002, 02:15 AM
What seems to have worked is that I re-installed ActiveSync v3.6 and restored my PPC from a backup before these problems began. ActiveSync treated my restored iPaq as a new device, and so I renamed it, set my sync options, and everything seems to be working. I guess the moral of the story is to keep a series of backups so you can restore from various points in time if you have to.

goirish!!
05-02-2003, 02:40 PM
There has to be something going on here. I ran a search and came up with this thread. I began getting the same error message two days ago. I am going to try the hard reset and the n restoring from a back up. I keep recent back up files on hand so this may not be an issue.

Come to think of it I am going to delete the partnership first and try that.

This can not be an isolated incident especially since this thread is rather old.

PPCRules
09-16-2003, 06:18 PM
I am getting this error now.

Has anyone come up with any more info on this?

I've gotten two successful syncs out of about 25 attempts (with combinations of soft-resets, cleaning up memory and PC restarts in between) since it started, which makes it even more strange.

AXIM 300/2002, A/S 3.7 (build 3083)

goirish!!
09-16-2003, 07:12 PM
I am getting this error now.

Has anyone come up with any more info on this?

I've gotten two successful syncs out of about 25 attempts (with combinations of soft-resets, cleaning up memory and PC restarts in between) since it started, which makes it even more strange.

AXIM 300/2002, A/S 3.7 (build 3083)

For me this has been long enough that I am a little fuzzy on the details. Give a little more info on exactly what you are getting and maybe I, or someone can help.

PPCRules
09-17-2003, 10:14 PM
It's not an appointments problem; remove 'appointments' from sync list and it's 'contacts' in the error message, and so on until it's '... while checking out-of-date avantgo'.

If I delete the partnership, then reestablish it, I get one good sync, then the error message comes back.

PPCRules
10-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Just for the record, I couldn't get anything to work. But I received my PPC(WM)2003 upgrade and installed that right away, and, as I'd've expected, the problem was gone.

Seems too drastic a solution, essentially needing to hard reset.