View Full Version : Anudder lame Axim review...

enemy2k2
12-11-2002, 09:58 PM
@

http://members.shaw.ca/enemy2k2/

:D

JonnoB
12-11-2002, 10:30 PM
@

http://members.shaw.ca/enemy2k2/

:D

Good overall review

oregon_pda
12-12-2002, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive description! I am anxiously awaiting my X5, which is supposed to be delivered today (if I am at home), so I am living vicariously through your review.

enemy2k2
12-12-2002, 01:11 AM
Thanks guys! :D

mookie123
12-12-2002, 03:30 AM
Me thinks there are a lot of dust on your scanner. lol

nice review.

PS. How does the headphones out sounds? do you like it?

Job
12-12-2002, 03:38 AM
It seems to me, from reading multiple posts, that Dell is very lenient with their exchange policy, and that they would be more than happy to exchange your unit. It's worth a shot. Here's hoping when mine arrives it's not mushy.

mekmek
12-12-2002, 04:16 AM
enemy2k2:

I am glad you finally got your Axim. I have been reading the Axim-related PocketPCThoughts posts everyday for the last few weeks since ordering mine, and although I have been more of a lurker than a participant, I think everyone here shared how anxious you were to get your Axim. The fact that there were no posts from enemy2k2 over the last day signalled that you must have been busy with your new package, and your review confirmed my guess. I am always impressed when people take the time to post pictures and comments right away - I myself was too distracted by the the Axim to have the time to post anything.

I didn't notice the offset dpad until I read your review and looked closely at my Axim - sure enough I have the same offset. Sometimes it's better just not to look too much. But I haven't had the problem with the right-action on the dpad that others have mentioned. If you just test press the dpad it may feel mushy to the right, but I found that when actually using it in playing something like Snails, the right action felt and responded the same as the left action. It seemed okay to me, although I am no hard-core gamer.

You mention looking for a CF card: HandheldCanada had the best prices I found up here in Canada, although when I ordered a couple of weeks ago they didn't have the big 512MB cards in stock, so I just got a 256MB card. Now I see they have the 512s back in stock and I would recommend choosing those as a minimum size. The Axim battery lasts so long it will easily take you through the 4 music CDs you can squeeze on a 256MB CF card.

One thing I have noticed is that the Axim fits very tight into the cradle. You have to hold the cradle with one hand and pull out the Axim with the other. It seems a lot tighter than my experience with Jornada, Ipaq and Toshiba cradles. I'll probably try to glue the cradle to a brick or something so I can just grab the Axim with one hand and go.

There don't seem to be any good custom cases yet and I am anxious to find one that doesn't interfere with the headphone jack. In the meantime I have made a small but rugged temporary one out of duct tin, cardboard, popsicle sticks and black hockey tape - typical Canadian ingenuity.

Rirath
12-12-2002, 04:28 AM
Good grief man, what is your screen resolution set to?

enemy2k2
12-13-2002, 03:57 AM
Rirath, it's only at 1152x864, I just like big pictures :P Mookie, thanks for pointing out the dust, I had absolutely no idea that was there :roll: ROFL J/K :lol: Seriously though, that just gives an indication of how often it gets used - ie. barely any :D The sound from the headphones I thought was great, good low and high end, not much noise at all. It would be nice to have an equalizer, I'll find a program with one when I get my memory card for it. Oregon PDA I completely understand how you feel, before I got mine I was looking everywhere and anywhere for scraps of information :!: But the day has finally come when I can hold it in my hand proudly and bandy it about :wink: Job, I don't think I find it bad enough yet that I want to bother trying to exchange it, I'll give it a chance for a while - after all the warranty does last a year. It also is starting to feel a bit better, I've sort of developed a technique for using it. :D

Finally Mekmek, thank you for your friendly words, kind sir :D It was definitely a loooong wait, but at least the day has come :) We got through it without bursting too :!: How amazing is that :?: :lol: I just checked the prices on Handheldcanada, and you're right, they're a lot lower than I thought they would be! You're dead on about the battery too, I have no idea how many hours I used it, but it was definitely well over five or six, with the backlight on at all times and just messing about with it. The batter life is absolutely amazing :!: I was wrong about the tabs fitting into those slots, they are probably for the extented battery to latch onto, or perhaps to stabilize on the keyboard, the tiny indentations on the side are actually what stabilize it on the cradle. As for the tightness on the cradle, I really do think it will loosen up, upon inspection of it it seems that the tightness is coming from the connector. I am confident that will loosen though, sort of like plugging a parallel cable in and out of the port continuously, it will definitely become much easier. Please don't try to modify that beautiful base :P Hocky tape and popsicle sticks :lol: I bet Red Green would approve, though he would suggest duct tape :!: haha I think I'm going to keep mine bare for now, I prefer it that way, but if I start noticing too many marks I may just have to get a case. I will probably end up purchasing screen protectors for sure, that is if that homemade screen protector idea doesn't work well :D