View Full Version : Beaming software

lzrada
12-11-2002, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know of a program available for the PocketPC that continuously beams data from one handheld to another. I am looking for a solution for beaming information from a master PocketPC kiosk to users' handhelds that are attending a conference. Interested in a solution where there is no need for operator intervention (e.g. continuous loop). I would appreciate any information that may be available.

Thank you in advance.

Leo Zrada

KyleC
12-12-2002, 12:57 PM
*Disclaimer- below is what I THINK, not what I know. I could be completely wrong! :lol: *

I think that "beaming" files required back-and-forth between devices. I think that beaming flashes an infrared light for 0's and 1's. You need to establish a connection between the devices first, then the beaming process can continue. Also, beaming software on Pocket PCs is designed to, once it's finished sending a file, will ask you if you want to send it again (something like "Tap to Send") on the beaming screen. There might be a way to have it so it would automatically begin sending to another device. There is also the issue of "timing out" where the device searches for a recieving device, but none is found. I think that given the technology og IR data transmittion, it's very possible to construct a device or program to do this, but I haven't heard of one. Not too many people do what you want to do. :?

pewter_tankard
12-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Wouldn't there be a problem here in that

a) IRDA is not a long distance method of passing information. You'd have to have quite a large infra-red projector (might be nice and warm :lol:)

b) You'd have to maintain line of sight with everyone in the audience (how about the projector located in the ceiling?)

Probably a better way (if you have PDAs with the requisite hardware) is to insist on WiFi or Bluetooth in the device and have a solution based onsomething like Macromedia Flash to give interactivity and auto-push of content. I don't know of a product to do this, but an enterprising developer could develop it as a bespoke solution.

smashcasi
12-12-2002, 05:18 PM
I don't think he's talking about beaming something to an entire audience at once. Rather, I believe he wants an automated kiosk that users can individually walk up to and have something beamed to their device (i.e. a simple program with the conference agenda and a map). These do exist, there was one at the last N+I I attended. Unfortunately I can't provide more information than that, but I observed that many people seemed to have issues using the device, and properly lining up their own devices for transfer took a lot longer than it would have to just grab a pamphlet. Just something to keep in mind since having potential customers get impatient and leave with no information is probably the last thing you want.

lzrada
12-12-2002, 06:47 PM
Smashcasi, you are precisely correct in terms of what my requirements are. Sorry if my original request was confusing.

We are a full service show management company in which my team develops technical solutions for our clients who travel and attend our conferences. Whether our client events are technical, commercial, or medical related, we currently have a good working solution for the Palm (BeamPro) which does nothing but continuously beam conference agendas and tradeshow floormaps (that we create) that are made available at beaming stations at the conference. I am looking to expand this service for the Pocket PC user community and looking for a similar product like BeamPro (which is currently available for Palm OS only).

Hopefully this will clarify my need and open up this dicussion to additional professionals that may know of a solution like this.

Thanks in advance for your comments and recommendations.

Leo Zrada

Steven Cedrone
12-12-2002, 07:37 PM
About the only thing I can think of this: You set up a PC to allow users with Pocket PC's to sync as guest (using IR, so you don't need to use all of the different cradles), then pust a file to the Pocket PC...

This app from Chris De Herrera's site CeWindows.net: Force Guest (http://www.cewindows.net/applications/undocumentedactivesync.htm) would provide the PC app. It forces all machines that sync as guest, never promping to create a device-to-desktop partnership, and also allows you to perform some functions once the Pocket PC is connected. You will have to decide if this is something you might want to consider...

Steve