View Full Version : New Owner of e740... Newb... could use some help?

usho
12-11-2002, 07:09 PM
Hi,

After careful consideration, price comparison, and asking around these forums I have decided to go ahead and purchase the e740. It should be coming in sometime this week and I was just wondering if any of you Toshiba owners could give me some good sites for it? Some things I'm looking for are:

patches/updates?
games?
software?
places to buy accessories?
a list of available toshiba and third party expansions?
and other good stuff for pocket pcs and e740s?

I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

JonnoB
12-11-2002, 07:42 PM
If it does not come with EUU3 already applied, do that right away so that you get the benefit of a better media player and a fix to PIE on secure sites.

mashtim
12-11-2002, 11:51 PM
You should also check the Toshiba America site (look under Accessories) for a folding and/or snap-on keyboard. Some screen protectors wouldn't hurt, either. Maybe a second battery? These are all available at Toshiba.

As far as cases go, I have found that the Vaja case is the only one that doesn't touch my screen when closed. This has led to many many battery drain-downs. The PocketSolution cover isn't too bad, either. It's kind of reminiscent of the flip-cover for the Jornada.

Pocket Divx and PocketTV have been optimized for the e740, so if you have the EUU3 (like Jonno suggested), you should have no video problems at all.

As far as I know, none of the games out are optimized to run on the new vid chip in the e740, but most of them work, anyway.

Personally, I find the Pretec 1.3MP CF camera a good accessory, as I still have a memory slot to save pics/video to, and it is a really small camera to lug around (fits nicely on the belt with the included holster).

usho
12-12-2002, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the input. I'l be sure to check that out. If it's not too much trouble could you give me some links to these sites? I've looking around and the only cases I've been able to find are the krussell cases and they don't look good at all. Looks like and credit cards would rub up agianst the screen and push buttons. Plus, I'm not really looking for an alternative wallet. Thanks for the help.

spursdude
12-12-2002, 03:33 AM
for a lot of free software, i go to ppcsg.com (http://www.ppcsg.com/links.php). all the software listed their is absolutely free (i.e. no trial versions). you can find a lot of trial versions at handago (http://www.handango.com)

for toshiba updates, you may want to head to the toshiba support site (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modItemList.jsp?moid=144629&ct=SB&BV_SessionID=@@@@0641775452.1039660151@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadcgmfhidllcgfkceghdgngdglj.0). i'm not sure if that link will work - if it doesn't, just head to toshiba.com, then product support, then for computers.

be sure to get the demo of the game snails (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=9D555B7CCEE95B136F78669878BF6474&productId=24938&optionId=1_2_2&productType=2&catalog=30&txtSearch=snails&sectionId=0&platformId=2). i love that game...very similar to worms for the pc.

of course if you ever have any more questions remotely related to the pocket pc you can always just post again and i'm sure somebody will quickly assist you. :D[/u]

bigkingfun
12-14-2002, 07:40 AM
A few of my favorite add-ons for my e740 are:

Vaja case (www.vajacases.com) - they are pricey but the fit and finish is amazing.

PDA Panache stylus (www.pdapanache.com) - again kind of pricey for a stylus but I find the added weight much more comfortable compared to the original one.

Write Shield screen protectors (www.pocketpctechs.com) - by far the best screen protectors I've tried. They last a long time and are just like writing on the bare screen.

I'm currently being tempted by a Bluetooth SDIO card and a Bluetooth cellphone for wireless internet access, but right now I use a non-Bluetooth cellphone through an IR connection for email (over a GPRS network). It is really handy to be able to get access to email anywhere I can get service on my phone.

There are a couple of other posts with people's top software picks - I would suggest you check through those for some of the more popular software titles.

Nathalie
12-15-2002, 04:16 AM
Personally, I find the Pretec 1.3MP CF camera a good accessory, as I still have a memory slot to save pics/video to, and it is a really small camera to lug around (fits nicely on the belt with the included holster).

I was just wondering where you bought this so nice camera since I can't find it anywhere except from Handheld Canada but they don't have any in stock :-(

Thanks

Nathalie

mashtim
12-15-2002, 07:05 PM
Nathalie, I bought the camera direct from Pretec. Just go to www.pretec.com .
Make sure you get the 1.3MP one, though, as I believe they are still trying to sell the lower resolution one, as well. The model numbers are very slightly different, but you're looking for model OCCAV.

Nathalie
12-15-2002, 07:20 PM
Nathalie, I bought the camera direct from Pretec. Just go to www.pretec.com .
Make sure you get the 1.3MP one, though, as I believe they are still trying to sell the lower resolution one, as well. The model numbers are very slightly different, but you're looking for model OCCAV.

In fact, that is what I had done. I leave in the US and I could not find a seller that had it in stock. Did you buy it directly form their site and if yes what is the link?

By the way, how much did you pay for it?

Thanks very much because I really want the high res one and I can't find it...

Nathalie

Janak Parekh
12-15-2002, 08:54 PM
Thanks very much because I really want the high res one and I can't find it...
Same here. I know Jason got one, but apparently there were issues with the initial release. If you go to pretec.com and go to Shop Direct, it says "VGA version available now, 1.3 Megapixel version coming soon."

I finally gave up and got an Exilim EX-S2. Tiny, tiny camera, 2 megapixel, stores on SD so I can drop it in my PPC to view.

--janak

mashtim
12-16-2002, 01:55 AM
Hmmmmm..... weird..... Pretec apparently doesn't have it up on their site any more. And, yes, I did buy it directly from them. I would suggest keeping an eye open for a re-appearance of the CompactCamera (remember to make sure that it is OCCAV, as the model numbers for the 1.3MP and the .5MP cameras are very very similar. If I remember correctly, I paid $110 or so... I remember it being about the same price as the inferior one, oddly enough.

Nathalie
12-16-2002, 02:52 AM
Hmmmmm..... weird..... Pretec apparently doesn't have it up on their site any more. And, yes, I did buy it directly from them. I would suggest keeping an eye open for a re-appearance of the CompactCamera (remember to make sure that it is OCCAV, as the model numbers for the 1.3MP and the .5MP cameras are very very similar. If I remember correctly, I paid $110 or so... I remember it being about the same price as the inferior one, oddly enough.

Really interesting....
I don't really see where you can buy (any) product from their site. I really want this one but it seems it is going to be difficult to get one.
Thanks

Nathalie