View Full Version : Backlight whine and Li-ion charging

enemy2k2
12-11-2002, 05:38 PM
I saw Kati42 comment earlier on sounds she was hearing from either end of her Axim. I received my unit yesterday and heard the same thing, but was not surprised. This is common to any backlit PDA to varying degrees. The Axim has in fact a much quieter backlight than an old Timex Ironman Indiglow watch I had :) There is also some minor noise from the speaker when it's turned on, but that's nothing out of the ordinary either, and not really even noticeable unless your ear is up against it. For those with other PDAs I'm sure that you'll notice some backlight noise or 'whine' when putting it up to your ear.

I saw someone also earlier comment on deep charging batteries. I was curious about this as I did that with my last PDA and my current cell phone. It turns out that you simply cannot deep charge Li-ion any way as it does not trickle charge, in fact if it were to try and trickle charge the cell - it would certainly damage it. So I just stuck to Dell's four hour initial charging time instruction, in fact I gave it an extra half hour just for good measure :wink:

There are a few pages that shed more light on Li-ion technology @

http://www.allegromicro.com/techpub2/cadex/index341.htm

http://www.powerpacks-uk.com/Charging%20Li-ion%20Batteries.htm

http://www.powerstream.com/li.htm

I had some more pages as well but all the information is very similar to one another. So there you have it, Li-ion is heck of a cool techonology! No fuss, no muss (what does muss mean :?: ) :)

I'm still not sure about needing one discharge/recharge cycle, though I will do so any way - I'm going to run it into the ground playing with it any way :D

Hope this helps some out there. For those of you who are more informed, if there's any wrong info or if you have something more to add please do so :) I would not mind knowing more :D

Kati Compton
12-11-2002, 08:00 PM
I saw Kati42 comment earlier on sounds she was hearing from either end of her Axim. I received my unit yesterday and heard the same thing, but was not surprised. This is common to any backlit PDA to varying degrees. The Axim has in fact a much quieter backlight than an old Timex Ironman Indiglow watch I had :) There is also some minor noise from the speaker when it's turned on, but that's nothing out of the ordinary either, and not really even noticeable unless your ear is up against it. For those with other PDAs I'm sure that you'll notice some backlight noise or 'whine' when putting it up to your ear.

Mine makes the noise even when the backlight is off, btw. Is that normal? I probably wouldn't have brought it up if it was only when the backlight is on, as I've also heard that backlights make noise.

enemy2k2
12-11-2002, 08:14 PM
I just tried with the backlight off, and there's still a whine, though much less and much higher frequency without the rough transformer sound. I wouldn't worry about this at all, it's probably to do with the LCD - though i really wouldn't know. I wonder if someone more knowledgeable could shed some light ( :D ) on this?

mscdex
12-11-2002, 08:35 PM
The backlight whine was a major problem with the early palm-sized pc's when the backlight was on. It was very annoying :?. I remember because I used to own a Uniden Unipro PC100A that ran wince2.01. Nice device (built in modem :wink:), but the whine was kinda loud. Kinda "buzzing" noise that could make someone go insane after awhile :lol:

Janak Parekh
12-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Mine makes the noise even when the backlight is off, btw. Is that normal? I probably wouldn't have brought it up if it was only when the backlight is on, as I've also heard that backlights make noise.
It could also be other chips in the unit, right? Like clock chips. Some of my old 486 machines used to whine (squeal?). Unfortunately, I'm not the one with the EE degree in my family, so I can't give a definitive answer - anyone else?

--bdj

Sslixtis
12-11-2002, 09:16 PM
All that loud music as a teenager is finally paying off for me!! I can't hear any whine or noise :lol: