View Full Version : Free "Random Area Network" for iPAQ Pocket PC

Andy Sjostrom
12-11-2002, 09:01 AM
<a href="http://www.proximitymail.com/pm_ipaq.html">http://www.proximitymail.com/pm_ipaq.html</a><br /><br />Bluetooth finds it way into more interesting implementations. I must admit that having an iPAQ Pocket PC that supports Bluetooth has greatly increased my own interest level. This news item includes peer-to-peer networking and community-messaging built on Bluetooth.<br /><br />"ProximityMail™ turns PDAs into a localized community-messaging network. It incorporates Inventop’s Patent-pending BluePing Network™ technology, which enables hassle-free peer-to-peer networking, expanded Bluetooth effective range well beyond 10 meters, instantaneous "random area networks", and powerful communications capabilities for PDAs and other devices. BluePing Network™ technology is 100% compliant with the Bluetooth 1.1 specification and currently supports the PocketPC platform." <br />Read on for the entire press release!<br /><!><br />INVENTOP ANNOUNCES FREE MESSAGING APPLICATION FOR HP IPAQS and BRAINBOXES CF CARDS<br /><br />Redwood City, CA- December, 11th 2002- Inventop (<a href="www.proximitymail.com">www.proximitymail.com</a>), a leader in the Bluetooth networking space, today announced the availability of a significant new release of its ProximityMail™ collaborative messaging software for Bluetooth-enabled PDAs. ProximityMail™ 1.4 now supports HP’s full iPaq line of PocketPCs with built-in Bluetooth, as well as BrainBoxes CF Cards. In addition, the ProximityMail™ 1.4 includes significant new capabilities including improved device discovery and an increased data exchange limit to 100k. ProximityMail™ 1.4 is available for free download from <a href="www.proximitymail.com">www.proximitymail.com</a>, Download.com and other sites.<br /><br />"This is an exciting milestone for us because now we support a large part of the Bluetooth-enabled PocketPC universe," said Virginie Glaenzer, Inventop CEO. <br />ProximityMail™ turns PDAs into a localized community-messaging network. It incorporates Inventop’s Patent-pending BluePing Network™ technology, which enables hassle-free peer-to-peer networking, expanded Bluetooth effective range well beyond 10 meters, instantaneous "random area networks", and powerful communications capabilities for PDAs and other devices. BluePing Network™ technology is 100% compliant with the Bluetooth 1.1 specification and currently supports the PocketPC platform.<br /><br />ProximityMail™ facilitates community building, professional networking, and relationship building wherever groups of people are gathered (eg. tradeshows, conferences, ballgames, political events, etc.) Users can create and subscribe to groups, broadcast or send private messages and thereby easily initiate contacts with other people in the same geographical proximity. Unlike other point-to-point networking or messaging products, such as SMS, IM, or email, ProximityMail™ allows users to communicate anonymously to groups of users, without knowing a specific user's PDA id, phone number or email address. When ProximityMail™ or any other BluePing Network™ enabled application is installed on a Bluetooth-enabled PDA, the PDA acts like a network repeater, pinging other devices, establishing network connections, and transmitting network data as required. The PDA doesn't even have to be powered on! Unlike competing wireless networking schemes, this patent-pending technology requires no additional infrastructure, no expensive servers and server software, and no broadcast stations.<br /><br />About Inventop<br />Inventop Software Corporation was formed in Redwood City, California in 1998. The company is a privately funded company. Its mission is to provide wireless applications and technologies that naturally and spontaneously connect people, information and services using PDA devices in proximity areas. More information and a trial version of the software are available at <a href="www.proximitymail.com">www.proximitymail.com</a> <br /><br />"ProximityMail" and "BluePing" are Inventop trademarks. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners. <br /><br />CONTACT:<br />Virginie Glaenzer<br />Chief Executive Officer<br />Inventop Software Corporation<br />Phone: (650) 369-4650<br />Email: [email protected]<br />##<br />“ProximityMail” and “BluePing” are Inventop trademarks. All other trademarks belong to their respective owners. <br />##

msprague
12-11-2002, 02:24 PM
When ProximityMail™ or any other BluePing Network™ enabled application is installed on a Bluetooth-enabled PDA, the PDA acts like a network repeater, pinging other devices, establishing network connections, and transmitting network data as required. The PDA doesn't even have to be powered on!
Wow, that is impressive! :wink:
Actually, I wanted to try this out since it supports my Socket card. The problem is that the only other person at work with Bluetooth has a Toshiba SD card and ProximityMail does not support that card. :roll:

that_kid
12-11-2002, 02:33 PM
I've installed it before on my 3970 but I don't have any other BT people to try it. Maybe I'll go to compusa and load it up on their display 3970 and give it a try.

RickP in AZ
12-11-2002, 02:46 PM
Downloading now and I have sent the link to our PPC Club President. Hopefully we can test it out at the meeting next week among members with BT PPCs. I will report how it turns out.

(Looks like a fun way for us to poke fun at each other when we are giving our demos and presentations... :lol: )

Bob Anderson
12-11-2002, 02:55 PM
I hope this is the type of thing that Microsoft is watching...

It would be cool to license this type of technology and incorporate it in the next version of Pocket PC OS; that is make it native to the operating system so we don't have all the compatibility issues.

Of course, then one would hope that the manufacturers would jump on board and start getting bluetooth in all devices, say, in place of IR. 8)

Seraph1024
12-11-2002, 04:45 PM
This is somethings I wanted to do since day one. Someone beat me to it first though. Have a PDA support PAN,LAN and WAN at the same time is my next goal. Nice read though.

L

nirav28
12-11-2002, 07:11 PM
They want $995 for the SDK???

I can understand them charging that much for developers who plan to release a commercial application and profit from it. But for the sake of technology advancement and proliferation of ideas, I think that price is a bit high. Specially when they're trying to make inroads into the new wireless marketplace.

I'm sure now that microsoft has jumped on the Bluetooth bandwagon, they'll have some SDK ready on MSDN for download.