View Full Version : Help me please!! How to connect to hotspots with Axim X5 + Socket CF WLAN Card?

cdcooker
12-11-2002, 04:14 AM
I just got a Dell Axim X5 400mhz, and the Socket CF WLAN card, but I cannot connect to internet thru connecting to a wireless hotspot (Mozart's Cafe, Austin, TX, my laptop works just fine in there). I don't have wifi AP or router at home to test. In the Socket's Advance settings, I can tell it talks to the AP inside the cafe, but I just couldn't browse the internet with the Pocket Internet Explorer. It showed excellent connection. I don't know if I messed up with the settings under Connection manager. Please give me detail instruction or point me to a page that have step bu step instruction.

I bought this Axim because of Wifi, if I can't browse the net, I will return it.

Many thanks.

Stik
12-11-2002, 01:26 PM
cdcooker,

Socket maintains a user forum ( free registration required ) for those that use their products. Users there may be able to assist you, or, Socket has very good tech support if you email them directly. Here's the link for both options...

http://www.socketforum.com/default.asp

FredMurphy
12-11-2002, 02:46 PM
Unless there are any known issues with the X5, chances are it's probably a Pocket PC setting that's causing the problem.

Try messing around with Connection Manager (My Network Card connects to "The Internet", etc.) until you're thoroughly sick of it.

cdcooker
12-13-2002, 06:44 PM
I have a Dell Axim X5. I bought the Socket CF WLAN card and the Linksys WCF12 to test which one suit me better. I brought these to several free hotspots in town (Austin, TX) to try to browse the web, email, instant message, etc. However, none of these applications let me connect to the web. I can tell from the cards' software that I got signal from the APs, and the singal strength is at least very good, if not excellent. Rx and Tx connection signal is at least 60% according to the linksys software. MAC, host IP, SSID, etc can be detected. On the Connection manager, I select all possible combination, Internet Settings/Work Settings/Internet, and all possible combination. I tried to enable and disable the power safe mode. I tried to enabled and disable the encryption. None of these makes me to connect to the internet. My notebook works fine in these hotspots. It is very frustrated for me as I thought this is supposed to be plug and run. It took me less than 3 minutes to figure out with a win2k notebook. But with this pocket pc, I spend several days at several locations, still no way to connect to the web. Wifi capability is the only reason I want a pocket pc, but so far, I have no luck. Please please give me some advice. If you can give me or point me to a detail step-by-step guide, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

mike6024
12-13-2002, 09:27 PM
I set up my Axim the exact same way I did my Ipaq and WiFi works fine. Did you put in the ESSID of the WAP? Do the networks you're trying to get on use WEP? Did you put on the key correctly? Are they DHCP? If not are you sure you had a good IP and DNS?

suderfield
12-13-2002, 10:40 PM
I bought the Socket CF WLAN card and the Linksys WCF12 to test which one suit me better.

I'm interested in which card works better...