View Full Version : iPaq 5450 and t68i GPRS internet?

umichboy
12-10-2002, 11:25 PM
Anyone tried connecting to the internet over bluetooth from a 5450 through a t68i yet? I haven't been able to get it to work. I spent about an hour on the phone with T-Mobile (Voicestream) but was unable to resolve the problem.

My laptop is able to connect using the phone just fine. What happens with my iPaq is that the iPaq connects to the phone fine, the phone connects to the GPRS network fine, but data is unable to be sent/received.

The fingerprint reader is nice though and it hasn't messed up at all yet.

Janak Parekh
12-10-2002, 11:55 PM
Have you been able to get a 3800 or 3900 series unit to work?

I hacked the settings from here (http://mork.home.mindspring.com/myvoicestreamhelp.htm) to fit my needs (the instructions are slightly outdated, but still mostly useful). I'd assume if I can pair with a 5450 (which I'll be getting in a few weeks), the rest of it should work exactly the same as a 3870...

--bdj

umichboy
12-11-2002, 04:46 AM
Nevermind. I just made it work by deleting the APN from the dial settings. I guess T-Mobile doesn't know how to configure these things. Good thing I got desperate and started trying things on my own.

I just switched from a Palm Vx and I must say that the iPaq outclasses it for what I do (Wireless connectivity). Using omnisky and Blazer on my Palm Vx was slower, less compatible with websites and not even color...

serpico
12-11-2002, 07:53 PM
Nevermind. I just made it work by deleting the APN from the dial settings. I guess T-Mobile doesn't know how to configure these things. Good thing I got desperate and started trying things on my own.

I just switched from a Palm Vx and I must say that the iPaq outclasses it for what I do (Wireless connectivity). Using omnisky and Blazer on my Palm Vx was slower, less compatible with websites and not even color...

Still a palm user, I never understood this wireless thing with palms. It just isn't complete and maybe with OS5 it might flourish into something. But I wouldn't bet on it to happen too soon. It seems PPC2002 is flying past with new technologies built in to the handhelds and support from the cell companies.

TheNewSteve
12-13-2002, 03:42 PM
Once it's configured right, how well does the T68i and PPC combination work for you? My T-Mobile T68i should be here on Monday... I won't be able to try it out with a PPC until my Axim arrives probably around Christmas or so...

Have you tried any of the GPRS monitoring software or SMS on your PDA software?

-Steve

Janak Parekh
12-13-2002, 04:54 PM
Once it's configured right, how well does the T68i and PPC combination work for you? My T-Mobile T68i should be here on Monday... I won't be able to try it out with a PPC until my Axim arrives probably around Christmas or so...
It works well, so long as you have reception. Note, it's slow - expect throughput resembling a 33.6kbps modem. But it works and is very convenient when you need it. The Bluetooth aspects of the T68(i) are very reliable.

--janak

GQ19
12-13-2002, 06:22 PM
i have always wondered. does gprs or the cdma version 1xrtt provide always on access (thru bluetooth to yur ppc) so that it could support a third party messenging app such as MSN messenger or AOL's AiM? any info would be great!

thanks in advance

umichboy
12-14-2002, 03:10 AM
GPRS supports always-on connections. GSM/GPRS providers charge by amount of data transferred rather than time connected so that you can just leave it connected. Verizon Wireless (for CDMA) defaults to time connected as the billing method, but they too have a per kilobyte pricing scheme you can choose.

Either way, you are able to use AIM or MSN Messenger.

Brad Adrian
12-14-2002, 04:03 AM
Once it's configured right, how well does the T68i and PPC combination work for you?
When it comes to easy connectivity, I really like this combo. More than anything, though, you will LOVE the T68i. I thought it was full-featured when I bought mine, but found out just what an amazing phone it is after I read the flippin' manual. Once you get the Bluetooth relationship established, it'll work flawlessly.

Brad Adrian
12-14-2002, 04:05 AM
I guess T-Mobile doesn't know how to configure these things.
See, there's your problem. Under NO circumstance should you EVER seek technical assistance from the company that actually builds or provides the technology. PLEASE, if you have any questions, come to us (meaning "other users") first.

Janak Parekh
12-14-2002, 04:06 AM
i have always wondered. does gprs or the cdma version 1xrtt provide always on access (thru bluetooth to yur ppc) so that it could support a third party messenging app such as MSN messenger or AOL's AiM? any info would be great!
In addition to what umichboy said: you do have to establish the connection once your phone is on, and you can leave it on, although if your signal drops out it'll disconnect. Moreover, the battery gets used a little bit faster.

Unfortunately, MSN or AIM on the PPC are not really practical, as you'd have to keep your PPC on, and that'd drain the battery too quickly. If you need to be online all the time, consider doing AIM over SMS (you can "sign on" and any IM's get sent as SMS messages), or get a Danger HipTop/T-Mobile Sidekick.

--janak

Janak Parekh
12-14-2002, 04:07 AM
When it comes to easy connectivity, I really like this combo. More than anything, though, you will LOVE the T68i. I thought it was full-featured when I bought mine, but found out just what an amazing phone it is after I read the flippin' manual. Once you get the Bluetooth relationship established, it'll work flawlessly.
Agreed. The T68/i are really nice phones. No polyphonic ringtones, but I only use vibrate. :)

See, there's your problem. Under NO circumstance should you EVER seek technical assistance from the company that actually builds or provides the technology. PLEASE, if you have any questions, come to us (meaning "other users") first.
... it's worth mentioning, though, that T-Mobile's data group has improved substantially. Of course, it's hit-and-miss if you reach an idiot support person...

In addition to what Brad said, I find doing a couple searches on news.google.com is really useful.

--janak

GQ19
12-14-2002, 05:24 AM
I'm not quite sure as to the speed differences between GRPS and 1XRTT but what i do know is this: in the US, 1XRTT definitely makes more sense price wise as Sprint is offering unlimited data plans for very cheap and they are coming out with a bluetooth phone (T608). Thanks for the other Info. Any word on whether other carriers are going to be going with an unlimited data plan?

bdegroodt
12-14-2002, 06:07 PM

As an FYI, there is a number for T-Mobile Europe floating around the VoiceStream/TM newsgroup that is toll free and is staffed with a very good tech support group (Especially when it comes to data configurations).

My guess is that with the number of different phone types available to European customers, the staff has to be more knowledgable than their American counterparts.

Try a Google Groups search for the number. I've used it from the U.S. for both my T39/T68i, Ipaq setup and had zero hiccups with the staff there.