View Full Version : Is Real Player for Real??

dcharles18
12-09-2002, 11:04 PM
I am not a fan of anything put out by Real whatsoever. That said, my favourite radio station only streams in Real format, so I installed Real One Player on my iPAQ. When I run it I get a nice looking UI that does nothing. I've tried countless stations and even clicked the links provided, non of them play, all I get is 'Error, Failed to connect to server'. Has anyone gotten this to work, or is it as big of a piece of junk as their desktop software?

mashtim
12-09-2002, 11:39 PM
Without knowing any specifics of your setup, let me point this out: In the past, many people have had problems gettings their RealPlayer for PPC to stream, due to network conflicts (i.e. firewall issues, etc.) RealPlayer is VERY sensitive, apparently, and needs to be set up juuuuuuust so.

dcharles18
12-09-2002, 11:50 PM
Is there any sort of guide or tutorial anywhere that gives instructions for setup?? I am connect to a LAN via passthrough at work.

Pony99CA
12-10-2002, 12:14 AM
I am not a fan of anything put out by Real whatsoever. That said, my favourite radio station only streams in Real format, so I installed Real One Player on my iPAQ. When I run it I get a nice looking UI that does nothing. I've tried countless stations and even clicked the links provided, non of them play, all I get is 'Error, Failed to connect to server'. Has anyone gotten this to work, or is it as big of a piece of junk as their desktop software?
The player works fine. I've downloaded Real files to my Pocket PC, and they play just fine.

However, I also haven't been able to get anything to stream from their site. I'm using a WiFi connection to my SMC wireless router. I see the player connecting, then loading, but always get "Response or data from server timed out."

Steve

dcharles18
12-10-2002, 12:22 AM
This is frustrating. I have no interest in using it for anything other than to stream content, and that apparently does not work. I think Unreal is more like it.

mashtim
12-10-2002, 12:26 AM
As far as I know, the only work-around right now is to designate your PPC as a"DMZ" (Basically, open it up completely) This isn't really an option for most people, but it's the only way that I have heard of fixing this problem. I suppose you can try and get a knowledgable CustSupp person to tell you exactly which ports RP uses, but don't count on it, as you'll probably get a different answer from every person you speak to.

AS a result, I have temporarily suspended my use of RealPlayer on my PPC. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

dcharles18
12-10-2002, 12:29 AM
Thanks anyway, I appreciate the quick response just the same.

Gremmie
12-10-2002, 01:24 AM
...I also haven't been able to get anything to stream from their site. I'm using a WiFi connection to my SMC wireless router. I see the player connecting, then loading, but always get "Response or data from server timed out."
Steve

Likewise, I can never get it to stream.

ECOslin
12-10-2002, 02:12 AM
Forget RealOne(desktop), get a copy of the old RealPlayer G2 or anything prior to RealOne and stick to it. Hold onto your copy of RealPlayer like it's the Holy Grail and You're the last knight of the round table in a snowstorm.

I've not tried whatever Real has for my PPC yet, but I can begin to imagine the horror.

Edward

Pony99CA
12-10-2002, 02:40 AM
As far as I know, the only work-around right now is to designate your PPC as a"DMZ" (Basically, open it up completely) This isn't really an option for most people, but it's the only way that I have heard of fixing this problem. I suppose you can try and get a knowledgable CustSupp person to tell you exactly which ports RP uses, but don't count on it, as you'll probably get a different answer from every person you speak to.

If you're going through a router that you can see the log for, you can see what incoming ports are needed. That's how I fixed a problem I had with my P2P client not working. Unfortunately, the Real Player seemed to use different ports even with the same feed, but even opening the ports didn't help.

I also tried making my Pocket PC's IP address the DMZ, but I still got errors on loading. :-(

Steve

that_kid
12-10-2002, 02:54 AM
The problem is pocket real player doesn't do http streaming which most of the sites are using. It doesn't make a difference if you have a router or not or if you're setup in the dmz. Pocket real player can only stream rtsp streams. All the online music sources I like stream with real(I hate real) but they use http streaming so I have to download the shows and listen later. I have a few house music mix shows on my site and I use rtsp streaming and I can access it with pocket real player no matter what I'm connected to. Bottom line is that Real REALly blows.

If you want to test this out here is a stream on my site http://www.br-productions.com/real/mix91000.ram
the ram file points to a rtsp stream.

mscdex
12-10-2002, 05:13 AM
One question: have you tried both RealOne Player 1.0 AND RealOne Player 1.1?

kfluet
12-10-2002, 08:38 AM
There are definitely networking issues with Pocket Real Player 1.1.

Windows Media streaming works fine. I listen to NPR news every morning over Bluetooth.

If I try to stream Real to my iPAQ 3970 over Bluetooth (through my XP machine with a Bluetooth dongle) it doesn't work even with XP firewalling turned off.

If I plug in my CF Ethernet card and snarf an IP address off of my cable provider (i.e. connect my iPAQ directly to my cable modem with no gateway) Real streaming works fine.

that_kid
12-10-2002, 01:55 PM
Bottom line is that real player sucks. It would be nice if the web sites I like used streaminig mp3 of windows media but they don't so i'm stuck using real.