View Full Version : Compaq Overtakes Palm in Australian Market Share

Ed Hansberry
12-09-2002, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,5643096%255E15306,00.html' target='_blank'>http://news.com.au/common/story_pag...5E15306,00.html</a><br /><br /></div>Compaq narrowly edged out Palm as the number one handheld in Australia in October, claiming 33.7% of the market versus Palm's 33.4%. The top 5 individual products were the iPAQ 3870, M515, iPAQ 3970, iPAQ 3850 and Toshiba e310.<br /><br />Palm still leads the retail only sector with 4 of the top 5 products. "Mr Solyom said with Compaq and Palm entrenching themselves in the corporate and retail markets respectively, the market is beginning to split. "The market is beginning to show some polarity," he said. For Christmas, Palm should do proportionately better in the retail segment, he said, as a larger share of Compaq's sales come from the corporate sector."

Timothy Rapson
12-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Ed, are you sure you are not too embarrassed to post this? :?

Ed Hansberry
12-09-2002, 08:12 PM
What are you talking about? I thought it was interesting. Someone thought it was interesting enough to send in. If you don't like it, fine. What is your point?

Jonathan1
12-09-2002, 08:24 PM
Huh The TungstenT is nowhere to be found huh? :lol: This is interesting. Does this mean that users are "just saying no" to higher priced Palm devices? I would be interested in seeing what the top 10 devices are. I’m guessing the rest of the line is the Clie’s with the TungstenT in there somewhere.

I wonder how well the big T is selling overall. Is it as big of a hit as Palm is touting or is it bombing out. Post X-mas sale figures are going to be interesting.

Kirkaiya
12-09-2002, 08:58 PM
What are you talking about? I thought it was interesting. Someone thought it was interesting enough to send in. If you don't like it, fine. What is your point?

I think he was questioning your "Pocket PC Zealot-ness", actually, lol. I think it's VERY interesting, on the other hand, that there is now a discrete location (Australia) where the PPC O/S is now outselling Palm OS, on a per-unit basis... incredible (am i reading that right, or is there not enuf info to claim that?)

Daniel
12-09-2002, 10:59 PM
Australia is a weird place, the people are weird and so is the food. I should know, I am Australian. ;)
I would guess that the T wasn't released there at this stage or wasn't available in enough numbers to have much on an effect. People would know that it was coming though so may have been holding off.

Daniel

Timothy Rapson
12-10-2002, 01:40 AM

Sorry, I just need to learn not to post when I come home to lunch. I need to think before I open my mouth. 30 minutes makes my posts too rushed.

That, and the possibility to be first responder was too much to pass up.

It is nothing, really. Apologies to whoever sent the item in as well. I will go sit over there in the corner and just read the news and be quiet until I can add something to the conversation. :(

AhuhX
12-10-2002, 01:57 AM
Hi, I submitted the story.

Here everything is quite topsy-turvey. PPC has always done well here.

I was in the shops the other day and I noticed that the Tungsten is now well over the price of the iPaq 3970 and of course does not remotely compare to the Toshiba 310 & 330s.

The Tungsten hasn't been out long enough to be in these figures. I just saw one for the first time in retail the other day; weird looking device... looks broken!

The Clie units would have made it into these figures. They have been out here for ages.

ausindo
12-10-2002, 11:50 AM
LOL! hahah.. i'm an aussie as well born and breed! and proud of it, although my my parents aren't from australia :P but enough about me!

ahuhx i also saw the tungsten, and it was going for like $1500 that was a ripper! as for the iPAQs they was like $1299 (MATE YOU SEE THE PRICE DIFFERENCES THERE IS BETWEEN YOU YANKS AND CANADIANS (I CAN SAY YANKS? CAN I?))

i was at the shops to find a in car charger for my e570, dam it i can't anything at all, only for the new ones :( should i upgrade?
i'm thinking of getting the Dell Axim X5 but i have not seen any in depth review on it! my e570 compared to other PPC the screen colour (color for americans) is so.. cheap :(! i have to upgrade!!!!

Timothy Rapson
12-10-2002, 01:34 PM
tungsten, and it was going for like $1500 that was a ripper! as for the iPAQs they was like $1299 (MATE YOU SEE THE PRICE DIFFERENCES THERE IS BETWEEN YOU YANKS AND CANADIANS (I CAN SAY YANKS? CAN I?))
!!!!

Just curious, is it just the PDAs or all stuff that is so high priced there?

For example, I can get a no-brand 25 inch TV about anywhere for the same $200 the new Axim starts at. Does such a TV at your equivalent of WalMart or KMart cost $600?

On the other hand, when you could not get a Palm M100 for less than $100 here last year, Palm was selling them from their Web site in Japan for the equivalent of $38 (US).

What an odd world economy we have.

Daniel
12-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Everything is more expensive in Australia. It's partly exchange rate, partly logistics and partly the scale of the economy I think.
The population of Australia is about 20m but we have the same area as the USA. We're also a very long way from everywhere else.

Daniel

Ed Hansberry
12-10-2002, 11:40 PM
The $1500 iPAQ wasn't US $$$. That was AU $$$. Things are more expensive there, but not 100% more. :)